• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed Pleaseeeeee

RhysScfc

New Kit
i bought a male rabbit today, but he seems rather lonley :(

would i be able to add another male rabbit with him tomorrow?

or will they fight or whatever like what happens with fish:?

thanksss

I wouldn't get another male as they are the hardest to bond. (generally...there are exceptions of course!)

I'd get him a neutered female as a partner.

I would just let your male settle in first and get used to his new home. Give him time to get to know you and his new environment - coming to a new home is very stressful for a rabbit. Try to spend lots of time with him just talking to him and sitting near him or his cage and let him come and explore you as when he is ready. Once he has settled in to your home in a couple of months time, I would consider having him castrated, or maybe a few weeks time, but I would give him time to settle in first before putting him through the stress of an operation.
Once he is castrated and had a couple of weeks to get over that, I would consider introducing him to a neutered (spayed) female in neutral territory, or get a rescue to help you with this - there are lots of rescue buns looking for a good home and very often they are already vaccinated and neutered which will save you a bit of money.
Your male bun will also need his VHD and Myxi vaccines (2 wks apart) and possibly a course of Panacur to make sure he has no parasites in his system.
Good luck with your new bunny. :wave:

A lot of rabbits seem quiet and lonely on their first day at a new place, its natural, theyre out of their own territory so feel a bit unsure. In a few days he'll be settled in.

Personally, nowadays i recommened always getting a bun a friend. I had two females years ago that were meant to be bonded, but it didnt work, and i thought they were fine so didnt try getting them a new friend. However, one of the females has started getting on with my new female and male, and im going to bond them properly, as she seems SO much happier and content, cuddling up and grooming.

So in my opinion, i would buy a female. That doesnt neseccerily mean go and buy one tomorrow however, if you dont have the money and space for another age to keep them seperate until theyve both been neutroed, waiting until 6 weeks after his castration would be fine, and you could rescue an unwated female from a rescue, there seem to be many female buns around 1 in rescues, which would be perfect as the age difference isnt too much! Good luck.

ok thanks

i let him out for a bit last night and he was crazy!!!
he also wont stop eating !!
hes already had food today and half a carrot yet hes still trying to eat the wood in the hutch :?

at the moment hes in the kitchen. the hutch is there too and im sittin with him, he comes out every few mins, finds the carrot and goes back. everytime i go to smooth him he runs away though :(

how long should i wait to approach him when he comes to me? thanks

Rabbits do tend to chew on things regardless of whether or not they are hungry. You can get chew toys or apple branches to keep him occupied. With regards to feeding the majority of his diet should be hay. Carrots are quite high in sugar and should only be fed as a treat

Back