• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby bunnies

Piggiesgalore

Mama Doe
Help!! I have just received an email from the owner of one of my regular pairs of bunny boarders telling me that her doe has unexpectedly had babies. She has a boy/girl pairing, boy is neutered, girl obviously isn't.

Apparently the doe managed to get out of the run into the garden and has obviously been caught by a wildie boy. She thinks there are 4 babies, mum and her partner are still sharing the same accommodation.

I have told her all the basics and suggested she read through some of the threads on here, but is it ok to leave her male and female together with the babies - if she removes the buck she will obviously then have the issue of re-bonding them once the babies are old enough to leave mum.

Any advice gratefully received!

I am no expert but iv always been told they remove the male, as he can get aggressive and territorial, and attack and kill the babies. The mother may also turn on them too, so personally, id seperate him.

Also, tell her the female needs to be spaye once the babies are 8 weeks old or a littel after, as she wil most likely get cancer in old age, aswell as to stop further pregnancies. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply HCB - I was beginning to think I had been blacklisted, lots of viewings but no-one offering any advice.:cry:

I know that the majority of us are against intentional breeding, but my boarder's litter was accidental and she was desperate for some help. We all know that she should have had the doe spayed when she had her boy done, but also, as we all know, sadly not everyone does what they are recommended to do - she has learnt the hard way, but to give her her due she is now trying to do the best for the kits. I have passed on all the information I have gleaned from RU over the years and I have also suggested she contact her vet today for more advice and to discuss having her doe spayed in due course.

Thanks again for your input HCB, much appreciated.

Hi. I missed this yesterday.
I would remove the male for the reasons given above.
How long ago was he neutered? if less that 6-8 weeks before conception there is a possibility he is the father.
If it is still less than that amount of time there is an outside chance that the doe will be pregnant again, unfortunately xx

Hi Lilbun, the male of the pair isn't the father of the kits, the doe escaped from the run and was mated by a wild bunny - her male partner has been neutered for well over 18 months, so not the daddy.

ok, it was just a thought. At least if she hasn't escaped again she is less likely to be pregnant again. I would advise your friend to neuter as her as soon as her milk has subsided though because those randy wildie boys know where she is now!
Lots of fresh grass (if she is used to it) will help with milk production and it is worth making sure the local vet has some kitten milk in stock in case of problems, or full fat goats milk can be used, but hopefully she won't need it :)

Back