• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed for baby rabbits

My two rabbits both gave birth 12 days ago and 9 days ago. The white rabbit gave birth 12 days ago to 6 babies, one died straight away. On friday another one died and today another one has died. They are not as big as the rabbits that were born 3 days later.
I,m not sure if she is a good mum but then how have they survived for almost 12 days if she wasnt really looking after them.
I,m worried now that they are going to die one by one and I,m wondering if I put them in with the black rabbit which is the good mother whose babies are doing well would she look after them or reject them,

Any advice would be greatly welcome as my kids are getting upset with the deaths and I need to act quickly.

My two rabbits both gave birth 12 days ago and 9 days ago. The white rabbit gave birth 12 days ago to 6 babies, one died straight away. On friday another one died and today another one has died. They are not as big as the rabbits that were born 3 days later.
I,m not sure if she is a good mum but then how have they survived for almost 12 days if she wasnt really looking after them.
I,m worried now that they are going to die one by one and I,m wondering if I put them in with the black rabbit which is the good mother whose babies are doing well would she look after them or reject them,

Any advice would be greatly welcome as my kids are getting upset with the deaths and I need to act quickly.

Firstly PLEASE make sure your rabbits are seperated, and don't breed again.
Do the babies have round bellies? If not the mum might not be feeding them.
Also make sure they are all in the nest, which should be lined with fur.

And how many babies are in each litter? you don't want to strain the black mother, and she might not have enough milk for more babies.

Where is the buck (the dad) ?

The black mother has 4 babies and the white one now has 3, they are separated so no more babies.

Put a tiny bit of vicks vapour rub on the black mums nose and move one rabbit from the white litter into the black. If she seems ok with it, then you can try moving another white baby into the black.

I'm confused... where is dad? What do you mean separated so no more babies? Are you sure they are both female and both had a litter? Is one dad??? :shock:

Sorry for the stoopid question...but are you sure that you don't have half the babies with mum (the "good" mum) and half with dad (the "bad" mum)...that would explain why they are dying...no milk!!

Let us know how it goes!

Sorry for the stoopid question...but are you sure that you don't have half the babies with mum (the "good" mum) and half with dad (the "bad" mum)...that would explain why they are dying...no milk!!

Let us know how it goes!

Those were my thoughts which is why I keeping asking about dad....

I think maybe a call to your vets is in order and maybe request a home visit, sounds like you need some expert advice.

Good luck

Clare

Put a tiny bit of vicks vapour rub on the black mums nose and move one rabbit from the white litter into the black. If she seems ok with it, then you can try moving another white baby into the black.

where i bought my guinea pigs from the breeder did this there, it seemed to work.

Yeah I know lots of breeders that do it.

I would make sure the "mum" is actually the mum.
Although if the doe is young and her first little sometimes none survive.
its hard to tell if "she" is feeding them as all the feeding is done overnight normally.
If it's the black ones first litter then sometimes it isn't wise to move others into it, it may be too much for her.
I would get in contact with your vet and he/she will be able to help you out.

Have a look at the rescue list to see if there is one in your area. if there is contact them and ask if they can offer support or advice. We have fostered litters for people who did not know how to hand feed. The folks who work with rescues have lots of experience, i dont know about other rescues but I am all ways pleased when people ring for advice, it shows that they care.

Where is the buck (the dad) ?

that is a good question if she hasnt got 3 rabbits she deffo has mum and dad and the babies need moving quick :?
the doe may have had a staggered litter ive seen this before and she assumed they are 2 seperate litters :?

Last edited:
She came online yesterday...she must have read what we said...can we have an update please? How are the little bunnies?!

Back