• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

really really sorry - another myxi URGENT Q about nasal

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
OK so Viola Rose is doing well apart from the nasal congestion which is appalling.

For the last 36 hours we have been battling increasing congestion to such an extent that she is now mouth breathing some of the time (though with head on a level - not up).

We have tried everything - steam, nebulising with saline, nebulsing with F10,, buxsolvin, olbas, metacam (orally), 'Potters saline spray' from the Dead Sea (!!!) I mean everything.

The problem is with the nose not the lower respiratory. Its just a totally bunged nose. Poss bunged by swelling as well as snot.

Has ANYONE had a bun go through this stage and come out of it and if so how long did this stage last???

How long can arabbit survive with a blocked nose???

OK so Viola Rose is doing well apart from the nasal congestion which is appalling.

For the last 36 hours we have been battling increasing congestion to such an extent that she is now mouth breathing some of the time (though with head on a level - not up).

We have tried everything - steam, nebulising with saline, nebulsing with F10,, buxsolvin, olbas, metacam (orally), 'Potters saline spray' from the Dead Sea (!!!) I mean everything.

The problem is with the nose not the lower respiratory. Its just a totally bunged nose. Poss bunged by swelling as well as snot.

Has ANYONE had a bun go through this stage and come out of it and if so how long did this stage last???

How long can arabbit survive with a blocked nose???

Oh dear :cry:

Is she a good colour-ie are her mucous membranes pink and not grey/blue ?

As you know Rabbits are obligate nose breathers and mouth breathing is a poor prognostic sign. If the congestion is snot then clearing it with one of those baby nasal aspirators might help. But if the congestion is swelling from a nodule then just clearing the snot may not be enough to open up her airway.
I dont know how long it would take for a nodule within the nasal passages to reduce in size.

Have you listened to her lungs today ?

Last edited:
Oh dear :cry:

Is she a good colour-ie are her mucous membranes pink and not grey/blue ?

As you know Rabbits are obligate nose breathers and mouth breathing is a poor prognostic sign. If the congestion is snot then clearing with one of those
baby nasal aspirators might help. But if the congestion is swelling from a nodule then just clearing the snot may not be enough to open up her airway.
I dont know how long it would take for a nodule within the nasal passages to reduce in size.

Have you listened to her lungs today ?

Have just looked and mucous membranes pink, we did listen to lungs and they were fine - thats what so awful - its just the nose and there seems to be nothing we can do about it. Some of the other swellings are even beginning to scab (the genitals). I think you are right and its a swelling in the nasal passage. Can I give metacam through a nebuliser and if so would it be any different to just giving it orally?

Have just looked and mucous membranes pink, we did listen to lungs and they were fine - thats what so awful - its just the nose and there seems to be nothing we can do about it. Some of the other swellings are even beginning to scab (the genitals). I think you are right and its a swelling in the nasal passage. Can I give metacam through a nebuliser and if so would it be any different to just giving it orally?

I am not sure how well the oral Metacam would nebulise :?

As I said before I have nebulised Tiacil which contains both an abx and anti-inflammatory.

I am wondering if giving her her meds via injection may be of more benefit, the Metacam I mean :? But you'd need to get Metacam injection from your Vet.

I assume she's on the maximum does of oral Metacam ?

It's really good that the other swellings are reducing - hopefully it means the myxi is on the turn. I really would consider crushed garlic but run it past vet first? It's a great decongestant for humans and a natural antibiotic, so it may help her...

I am not sure how well the oral Metacam would nebulise :?

As I said before I have nebulised Tiacil which contains both an abx and anti-inflammatory.

I am wondering if giving her her meds via injection may be of more benefit, the Metacam I mean :? But you'd need to get Metacam injection from your Vet.

I assume she's on the maximum does of oral Metacam ?

Given shes pretty much having an emergency here and I think the cause is swelling what do you think the max metacam would be??

At 9am this morning we gave her her (twice daily) 0.25mls of meloxivet for dogs ( 1.5mg/ml oral suspension).

She is not due another until 9pm.

I understand this is personal non professional advice - but would you give more now in circs??

Given shes pretty much having an emergency here and I think the cause is swelling what do you think the max metacam would be??

At 9am this morning we gave her her (twice daily) 0.25mls of meloxivet for dogs ( 1.5mg/ml oral suspension).

She is not due another until 9pm.

I understand this is personal non professional advice - but would you give more now in circs??

How much (roughly) does VR weigh.

The maximum dose my Vet prescribes is 0.6mg/kg/day (so 0.4ml/kg/day of the DOG Meloxicam)

This can be given in two divided doses. An Exotics Vet on here (see link in my siggie) has said he has given 0.6mg/kg TWICE a day without problems.

*Disclaimer- I am not advising you to administer a dose other than that prescribed by YOUR Vet. I am just saying what my Vet and one other Vet I know of prescribes*

Hi Twigs, I'm sorry have absolutely no experience of Myxi buns, but to help answer one of your questions -

I took in a bunny from a severe neglect situation who developed a URTI within days, she was mouth breathing for well over a week but made a good recovery from the initial infection. :) I hope that helps a little

Spoke to my rabbit vet on Friday and he said latest research suggests bunnies can have up to 3 times the 'regular' dose of metacam and suffer no ill effects.

Having said that, he just prescribed Parsnip 0.4ml of dog metacam once per day. Parsnip weighs 2.74 kg.

Hi Twigs, I'm sorry have absolutely no experience of Myxi buns, but to help answer one of your questions -

I took in a bunny from a severe neglect situation who developed a URTI within days, she was mouth breathing for well over a week but made a good recovery from the initial infection. :) I hope that helps a little

Our Myxi bun who survived (unvaccinated), as I said on another post, also had many lumps and nodules in and around her nose which made it very difficult for her to breathe and she got through it. If I can remember they took a couple of weeks to subside, but I think her breathing eased after the first week. That's all I can remember but I hope Viola Rose is hanging in there and doing ok this morning. :)

Back