• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sleepy eyes

demonbunny

New Kit
Hi, I'm new and my rabbit seems to be in a bit of trouble.
Shubumpkin isn't eating or eating very little, her eyes look as if she's half asleep and her head is slightly swollen. SHe must be about 20 weeks by now, she doesn't look fatter than normal but is definitely less active, but she is breathing normally. Could someone please tell me what this is and how to treat it? (or redirect me to a thread about a problem the same as this -104 pages is not something i want to go through when I'm worried about my rabbit.) Her used to be roommate Hopper is perfectly well but they are separate now. Hopper is enjoying having the garden too herself.

Hi, I'm new and my rabbit seems to be in a bit of trouble.
Shubumpkin isn't eating or eating very little, her eyes look as if she's half asleep and her head is slightly swollen. SHe must be about 20 weeks by now, she doesn't look fatter than normal but is definitely less active, but she is breathing normally. Could someone please tell me what this is and how to treat it? (or redirect me to a thread about a problem the same as this -104 pages is not something i want to go through when I'm worried about my rabbit.) Her used to be roommate Hopper is perfectly well but they are separate now. Hopper is enjoying having the garden too herself.

Call a vet it sounds very bad! shes ill good on sperating them but a vet is neded ASAP. rabbits go down hill fast.

Hi there,

I'm afraid that I don't know what this could be, and would not want to guess. But it does sound like you need to get her to the vet asap. Do you have the contact number for your emergency vet?

How long has she been like this? Rabbits can go downhill very quickly, and hide pain and any problems very well as they are prey animals, and this would make them an easy target in the wild.

Sorry I can't be of any more help :(

shes been like this for about 24 hours, and hasnt really cahnged condition- she wasnt in a very good hutch as she and hopper had a spate so she got very cold and wet, could that be something todo with it?

Do you have a snugglesafe or hot water bottle that you can put near her to warm her up? I would also check that she is dry, and use a towel to dry her if not, as bunnies don't cope very well at all with being wet.

I really would advise you to take her to a vet as soon as you possibly can, as only they will be able to say for sure what the problem is. Bunnies can go downhill in a matter of hours rather than days, so if she has already been like this for 24 hours, then that is a long time already.

Hello
I'm not an expert, but have had buns that have had the same symptoms you are talking about.
As others have said, You really need to get to a vet ASAP. Rabbits go downhill very fast and 24 hours with these symptoms is not good at all. Please take your rabbit to a vet now.
Has the rabbit done any poos?

Please please take the advice on here and get to the vets.

she has doen a few small poos - but shes been in a good hutch all night and hasnt been allowed out so would a blanket or something still be a good idea?

Feel her ears - as these often give a good indication of body temperature. You should be able to tell if she feels cold. When bunnies are ill, they find it really hard to maintain their body temperature. So it would be a good idea to provide something warm, she can then chose to lie near it or not (if you're using a hot water bottle wrap it in a towel so that it is not too hot).

I'm really not an expert though, and I really think that you need to get the opinion of a vet very quickly.

In the meantime, keep encouraging her to eat and drink if you can, and make sure that she stays warm.

Vet now!

I wouldn't necessarily separate her from her hutch partner - sick buns need their companions, the stress of separation can make things worse. If it is something transmissable (from one bun to the other) then it is likely her hutch partner has already had contact with it and her so separating now would be pointless. This is just in my opinion though.

Please take your bunny to a vet immediately. I hope she's ok!

Well guys, been to the vets, turned out it was snuffeles (or pasteliosis or showever you spell it) so shes ok, i know they can sometimes have to be put down because of it but at least its not myxo - my advice if this happenes to anyone else, go to the vets - worked for me!:D

Definitely good news that you know what you're dealing with.

Fingers crossed she will make a speedy recovery :) ...sending get well soon vibes!

lol thanks - i hope she will do fine, hopper will be devastated if she dies, so will i, shes already on the antibiotics so fingers crossed she'll do well. ty guyz!;)

Back