• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vinnie in stasis again:(

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
I dont know why this keeps happening:( I went to feed him about an hour ago he was lying in his litter tray refusing food,I gave him some zantac,metcam and infalcol,He has just eaten his food now

I have the same thing with Smokey, she is fine for weeks and then goes into stasis for no apparent reason (I've kept weather diaries and everything). To an extent, I think it is genetic with her because her brother died of GI problems.

Hope Vinnie is back to his old self soon.

FC x

Im so sorry Marie,I know how upsetting it is having a beloved pet that keeps getting poorly.Sending massive vibes for Vinnie and a big hug for you hun

awww hun, hope hes ok..lots of vibes xxxxxxx

Alvin did it last night too.. ate all day he had some dandelions at 7pm, hid in the carrier at 10 and refused everything :(

he was eating pellets again at 1am and seems to be normal again this morning

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have my sympathies, Biscuit has had stasis numerious times now. The vet said that a proper diet and exercise will help but also said she seems prone to it.

We have got so used to the symptoms:
1. Not running out to see us in the morning
2. Refusing to eat even her fav plantain
3. Sitting like a cat in an unsual place
4. Cold ears and not wanting to be stroked

She hasn't had an attack for a number of weeks now and hopefully we have got her diet sorted.

She no longer has any pelleted food, only hay and veg.

Also have cut out carrots, only give her the tops now.

Veg she has twice a day, she mainly eats, spring greens, spinnach, curly kale, brocolli.

Treats: tiny bit of banana, couple of raisins, tomatoes without the leaves

Hay is from West Willows, and she also has burns green oat hay sprinkled on top and sometimes small amounts of dried or fresh herbs and plantain.

When she goes into stasis, we do the same as you, metacam, infacol and zantac.

We also give tummy massages, put her heated pad next to her and wave dandillions under her nose until she gets annoyed and takes one. We also get her moving around the room, this helps a lot.

In general we have upped her exercise, and with cutting out all rubbish from her diet she has lost weight. She loves running up and down the stairs.

Good luck I know exactly what you are going through, and Biscuit is also moulting lots at the moment, so hoping with lots of brushing this doesn't cause another episode.

Clare x

I know with Vinnie if he doesnt run to the bedroom door something is wrong when i look in hes either lying in his litter tray or hiding in a corner,Then if i try to feed him and he rufuses i know something is wrong,I dont feed spinnach, curly kale, brocolli as there all too high in calcium and broccolli can make them gassy,Mine have spring greens, carrot,celery and cucumber
Ive never had a problem like this with Vinnies pal Miffy!!!!!!

Just to add Biscuit needs Brocolli, spinnach and curly kale as she is no longer on pelleted food

:thumb:

Buns on hay and veg only diets require a much more carefully planned veg selection, calcium at the right amounts is still important for bones and teeth.

I'm sorry your bun Vinnie is so prone to bloat/stasis - sadly some buns just are. But if you can minimise as many risk factors as possible - in my experience these are often stress (of which pain is a form of stress) and diet most commonly, then hopefully his episodes will be less frequent. Achieveing good gut motility and caecal balance is key so I would be inclined to reduce his pellet ration as much as possible and up his hay intake, cut out the carrots and offer more fibrous veg if you can that mimick the wild plant diet more closely - safe weeds, fruit tree cuttings, herbs and vegetable foliage rather than the veg themselves.
It's such a worry when you have a bun with recurrent stasis - I have one too :(, but minimising stress and focusing on diet has made a huge difference to his health. Good luck :)

What sort of foods would you give then? he does get dandilions

Well introducing slowly as with any new food type, and depending on what you have access to? Do you have a garden? allotment? river or wild bit of park nearby? Anything bought must be washed to remove any chlorine before packaging.
I feed these:
apple and pear leaves and branches - mine gobble up the twigs like pieces of hay!
All herbs except chives - either bought or from the garden. Mint, lemon balm, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, lavender (sometimes), basil, parsley, coriander.
Cabbage leaves, brocoli leaves (homegrown - they will grow in pots!) or spring greens and brocoli and calabrese bought from supermarket - spring greens in moderation with my buns otherwise upset.
Swiss chard - home grown - again often triggers upset if too much with mine.

Spinach, rocket, watercress, pea tops, celery tops, radish tops, beet tops (moderate - high in oxalates) and best of all and never causes upset - carrot tops! Mine also like the odd mangetout or sugarsnap pea and can eat a handful of these with no upset but not daily - it's all about variation and not too much of anything in one go.
Also, Mallow flowers, marigold flowers, strawberry leaves, fennel and rose petals.
I also occasionally feed pepper and fresh fruit as a treat - Vit C ration and dried fruit as a tiny treat as well - no more than once a day 1 tiny piece max with dried fruit - very high in sugar, somedays I don't feed fruit at all. Carrot roots are also a treat.

If out walking by a river we pick fresh plantain - broadleaved and ribwort, sow thistle, milk thistle, dandelions, goosegrass (cleavers), and when I visit my parents or take the buns on holiday there they have huge sow thistles, mallow plants, nipplewort, groundsel and hazel and willow leaves and branches.

If their tums are a bit iffy one day they have a day of hay and dried stuff only or I stick to the following - apple leaves, herbs - the drier and woodier ones, celery tops and carrot tops - never get upset from these.

I vary the veg daily and use a selection of 3-4 different ones. As on no pelleted feed at all I include atleast one vit A veg daily and a good source of calcium atleast 3 x a week. I too feed West Wales Willows hay like Clare which is organically grown with a huge variety of grasses - there's quite a varied nutrient concentration in this alone. I supplement with Oxbow and Burns hays, meadow hays and a good handful of dried mixed herbs twice a day - I buy all the dried herb packs from Naturals and Burns and mix them all up in a big bag and sprinke a generous handful on top of the hay in their litter tray twice a day. I also dry my own nettles, plantain, jersualem artichoke leaves and other herbs etc.
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

Sorry so long! :oops: But hope that helps a bit :)

Back