• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Annoyed by The Range

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
A couple of weeks ago I posted about the size of the hutches in The Range in Bradford and Tong Garden Centre.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=193869&highlight=range+tong

I wrote to them both and have had this response from The Range, which frankly I'm not very happy about:

Thank you for your email dated 29th August 2009, regarding the Rabbit Hutches.

I can confirm that I have been looking into this matter for you, and have been in contact with the Pets Buyer who has assured me that we are within all government guidelines for these products, and it is at our customer's discretion if they wish to purchase the item, and to ensure the hutch is the correct size for the animal.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you, and I hope you will continue to be a valued customer of The Range.

Yours Sincerely

What exactly are the 'government guidelines'? I know they will be fairly small compared to RSPCA but still! I swear one of the 'rabbit' hutches in the range was no bigger than 3ft wide and about a foot tall. It was on very high legs.

It might be a good idea. This was the first time I had seen that particular hutch, it is not on their website either, I wish I had taken a photo. None of their hutches are up to scratch but this one was particularly horrendous, in fact it was the smallest hutch I'd ever seen by a long shot.

This was the original e-mail I sent:

I am just writing to voice some concerns about some of the products in your stores. I am a regular customer and have been very happy with the products and service your staff offer but I am concerned about some of the rabbit hutches you stock. I was in your Bradford store and I saw a rabbit hutch on high legs that was 3ft wide and no more than 1ft high. This was marketed as a rabbit hutch and frankly a rabbit would hardly be able to turn around in it. The RSPCA recommend a minimum of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with an attached run for rabbits and I am scared that your customers will believe the hutch in your store is acceptible in size because of your good reputation. While I understand many hutches available everywhere do not meet the recommended standards, I believe keeping a rabbit in a cage the size of the one in your store is unacceptible and amounts to animals cruelty.

Please consider removing this product from your range as I feel it can only cause suffering.

We see this all too often, it's great when companies listen but unfortunately the guidelines are too ambiguous and NEED ammending.

The guidelines really do need to be set in stone, enforced by the government and RSPCA and if shops/owners do not comply then a fine should be applicable.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the size of the hutches in The Range in Bradford and Tong Garden Centre.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=193869&highlight=range+tong

I wrote to them both and have had this response from The Range, which frankly I'm not very happy about:

Thank you for your email dated 29th August 2009, regarding the Rabbit Hutches.

I can confirm that I have been looking into this matter for you, and have been in contact with the Pets Buyer who has assured me that we are within all government guidelines for these products, and it is at our customer's discretion if they wish to purchase the item, and to ensure the hutch is the correct size for the animal.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you, and I hope you will continue to be a valued customer of The Range.

Yours Sincerely

What exactly are the 'government guidelines'? I know they will be fairly small compared to RSPCA but still! I swear one of the 'rabbit' hutches in the range was no bigger than 3ft wide and about a foot tall. It was on very high legs.

Home bargains was selling a nice hutch for £30. I got it because it was cheap, and I needed something for Harley to stay in for a few days. I opened it and it was about 2ft long! :evil:

Back