• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My very special foster bun - UD Pneumonic Myxomatosis UD NOT P.Myxi!

Shel

Warren Scout
As many of you know I have been a foster mum for Fat Fluffs for nearly a year now, and loving every moment. Recently I have found a real fulfillment from fostering and rehabilitating the poorly buns that come into the rescue. Last week I took in two new buns, one of which I called Sullivan (meaning hawk eye). He is a one eyed bun, his eye was apparently removed as it got infected. However after seeing the vet it seems that he has very bad teeth - probably why the eyes have been a problem. He also has snuffles but is responding well to treatment. Yesterday though we found a lump had grown on his side :( He is off to the vet this morning. Please think about this guy if you have a minute, I dread to think what he has been through before being in rescue. I just hope he has a chance at the vets today.
IMG_0192.jpg

Last edited:
Update - Pnuemonic Myxomatosis!

Thank you for all the vibes - I was preparing myself for the worst this morning.

The vet checked him over (not our usual vet as she is on hols). She said it might be Pnuemonic Myxomatosis:shock: - he has the discharge and lung swelling but no lesions. She has put him on Ceporex, Baytril, Bisolven and Metacam and we will see how he goes in a week or so.
It is contagious so any plans of putting with another bun are not going to happen.

Going to carefully check our vacc records now mack sure no one has slipped through the net

If any has had experience of this I would love to here from you.

Will keep you informed on how things go.

Crikey how did the Vet diagnose that :?

Poor Bun :cry:

Lots of vibes for him

xx

Well she wasn't too sure but the symptoms were similar to another bun that the usual rabbit vet had recently treated sucessfully. He is missing the lesions, and seems pretty good in himself. Since arriving he has been in total isolation so if it is this form of myxomatosis then he shouldn't have spread it. The vet said it would really only spread through discharge particularly from his nose. I will be interested to see how things pan out over the next couple of weeks. I am just praying we can make him better and eventually find him a good home with a wifey bun.

That's really interesting. I have no idea how its possible to differentiate between 'ordinary' pneumonia and Pneumonic Myxi :?

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I wish I were a Vet !!

He really is a lovely Bun and here's hoping he will make a speedy recovery

xx

Back