• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EMERGENCY - blocked nose HELP Viola Rose UPDATES pg2

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Viola Rose (ee other threads about myxi) is having an emergency tonight - her nose seems blocked making it difficult to breath but we cannot work out whether it is blacked with 'goo' or blocked because the nose lump is so big.

We have tried Olbas Oil and steam in a facial steamer (no nebuliser in chemists) . . and vet earlier gave some kind of mucus disolver without seeing her ( (sachet in other room and can't leave VR)

Steve is trying to keep her really sleepy and calm so does not need to breathe so much - he is a real 'rabbit whisperer and is brilliant at this - anyone else any ideas of what we can try?????

Emergency vet is not an option - they will merely PTS and we still feel that if she can get over this set back she may pull round.

Last edited:
Oh no!
Bisolvon powder may help - I assume that is what the vet gave you- have you used it?
Otherwise she may have to go to the vets to be given oxygen therapy xx

Bumping this as someone must have some bright ideas on how to help clear the poor buns nose!

I really can't help, though I wish that I could. I had one very asthmatic child but we used to use eucalyptus, lavender and steam with her and you're already doing that. Obviously the ventolin is not an option.

Sending vibes.

am adding lavender to the mix as I type . . . with some more boiling water - alas we don't have a steamer so relying on small mug of water with plastic mask (bought in chemist) . . . when we put her in bathroom she got stressed.

I think the Bisolven (checked - that is what is was) is beginning to work a bit - anyone any idea how long it lasts????

We gave her a 'large pich' with some food about 2 hours ago . . anyone know upper limit for what we can give????

- poor soul is trying to eat a milk thistle as I type despite not being able to breathe .. But panics every time steve leaves the room.

Steve will have to stay in the room then.
In most species bisolvon is used once or twice daily- I don't know what happens if you exceed this xx

I'm racking my brains, and I'm probably not being much help but I guess anything is better than nothing!

Just boiling a kettle in the room is OK as the steam circulates, it doesn't have to be close to the face.

Also, we used to put a hot water bottle under Ana when she was asthmatic as the rising heat used to open her nasal passages. Do you have a Snuggle Safe that you could put under her rather than the heat lamp above her? I just thought the more direct heat might help to clear her out.

Go Steve, what a hero, I know that if I asked my partner to 'rabbit whisper' the buns I wouldn't get such a positive response.

I'm racking my brains, and I'm probably not being much help but I guess anything is better than nothing!

Just boiling a kettle in the room is OK as the steam circulates, it doesn't have to be close to the face.

Also, we used to put a hot water bottle under Ana when she was asthmatic as the rising heat used to open her nasal passages. Do you have a Snuggle Safe that you could put under her rather than the heat lamp above her? I just thought the more direct heat might help to clear her out.

Go Steve, what a hero, I know that if I asked my partner to 'rabbit whisper' the buns I wouldn't get such a positive response.

ok - have brought kettle up - do have a snuggle safe but she is moving round a lot (even though can't breathe).

PomandRi does your vet do emergency treatment? - if so contact parsnip bun & get them to see yours - an idea?

ETA have you by any chance got metacam? - anti inflammatory will reduce swelling - can't see how you'll get it in by syringe with her breathing so compromised.

Last edited:
I didnt see this last night :cry:

How are things now ?

How she is still with us I don't know - but she is. She is even 'bright' and last night was trying to eat pellets through the snatches of breathing -but just can't breathe through her nose.

In desperation at midnight gave her another 'large pinch' of Bisolvon (having given her a pinch at 6pm we are only meant t give a pinch every 12 hours). It did seem to have an affect but I am scared of giving any more. The vet said a large pinch- the dosage says 0.25 gms every 12 hours but I have nothing that can weigh that level of detail. Is that a pinch???

At present she is having a steam bath with my partner -(he is having a long shower in the bathroom and she is with him - not in the shower obviously. He is trying not to get Olbas Oil on any delicate parts of himself!!!!

I could not get a nebuliser yesterday - no chemists had it - just got a hand held mug and mask thing .What would we put in a nebuliser if we managed to get one today???

She has a vets appt at 9.10 - and I will not let them PTS while she is still bright in herself unless there really is nothing they can do.

How she is still with us I don't know - but she is. She is even 'bright' and last night was trying to eat pellets through the snatches of breathing -but just can't breathe through her nose.

In desperation at midnight gave her another 'large pinch' of Bisolvon (having given her a pinch at 6pm we are only meant t give a pinch every 12 hours). It did seem to have an affect but I am scared of giving any more. The vet said a large pinch- the dosage says 0.25 gms every 12 hours but I have nothing that can weigh that level of detail. Is that a pinch???

At present she is having a steam bath with my partner -(he is having a long shower in the bathroom and she is with him - not in the shower obviously. He is trying not to get Olbas Oil on any delicate parts of himself!!!!

I could not get a nebuliser yesterday - no chemists had it - just got a hand held mug and mask thing .What would we put in a nebuliser if we managed to get one today???

She has a vets appt at 9.10 - and I will not let them PTS while she is still bright in herself unless there really is nothing they can do.

To be honest I am not sure that a nebuliser would do much more than the steam therapy right now. Masking her may induce stress/respiratory distress.

Personally I'd want her on 100% oxygen (incubator or such-like) whilst in this crisis. But that would need the Vet to be compliant with the request as she'd have to be admitted.

No advice, but hope she will be OK. She sounds a right little fighter, keep it up.

Sending lots of easy breathing vibes.

Just been trying to search my scrambled brain and have come up with a couple more suggestions that your Vet might agree to try:

If VR can be nebulised in a 'chamber' rather than via a mask- nebulise the mucolytic maybe :? I have even nebulised Tiacil before (Tiacil contains both an abx and anti-inflammatory and nebulising it might mean the drugs are more targeted to the site of inflammation :?)

Then after a nebulising session VR could be placed in an incubator on 100% oxygen

All the above just the unqualified thoughts of a very concerned Jack's-Jane...............

Update Morning

Took Viola Rose to vets this morning and they agreed to treat - in fact agreed that she looked as though the lumps were just starting to get to that 'on the turn' stage when they start to stop growing and start to dry. in fact one eye is definitely at that stage. They wre surprised how lively she looked considering that she was covered in enormous lumps and couldn;t breathe.

They will nebulise and try some other treatments - (sorry Jacks Jane - had not seen your post before we left - will talk to them when we go in to collect as maybe they can do this another time or later today) - you are such an endless fount of excellent advice.

They were very encouraging and said that the nose was just like us being really congested with a bad flu - .her lungs are clear.

Misteltoe looked lost without her - for a moment - and then scoffed all the recovery food mix she had left (we did make sure he didn't use the same bowl).

Will close this thread now and revert to main Viola Rose myxi thread - with HUGE THANKS to everyone for their late night (and very early morning) suggestions, help, comfort.

rabbits with blocked nose

I know that guinea pigs can be given sudafed and it works. Can rabbits be given the suspension too? As anyone ever tried it?
Thanks
Trudy

Back