• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French lop rabbit

Hi im new here. i have had 5 rabbits in the past but none have lived very long :(

We have had Rabbits in the past, and have decided to get another,:D i have decided that i would wquite like a french lop eared rabbit. Although i have a few questions about them if you dont mind answering them???

I no the need a lot of space, but what is the smallest size hutch and run that you would put one in?

Bit of a thick question :oops: - the obviously have to eat more??

Anything i have to know specifically for having a french lop rabbit?

Are they generally friendly?

A few general questions.....

Would you have a buck or a doe?
Does anyone have a list of vegetables that they can and cannot eat?
Would you get he/she castrated/spayed?
Do you vacinate your rabbits? How much are the roughly?
Insurance?

Im sure that i will have more questions, thanks in advance for any answers.

Not to sure when i am getting a rabbit probably at the end of novemeber or somtime, but needed to read up on the breeds that i am interested in :)

My boy is a Frenchie. If you want to ask anything then PM me.

Frenchies are my favourite breed because of their temperament (OH compared Ted to a dog.)

If you are keeping one Frenchie then s/he should be an indoor bun (as with all buns). If you want a pair (M/F) then they will need a hutch of at least 7ftx2ft and at least a 6X6 permanent run.

I would have them neutered/spayed when possible (boys 12 weeks +, girls 4 months +). On whether to get a girl or a boy...that's up to you. It is thought that male buns bond with female owners and females with males, but there are many anomalies to that theory!

Vaccinations happen twice a year (Myxi every 6 months, and VHD every year). They are very expensive to feed because of thesheer quantity they need. If you do decide to get a Frenchie then they will enrich your lives. They might only live a short 4 years, but at least it can be a happy four years!

Thanks, Mum wont let me have an indoor rabbit, so i may have to get two (what a shame lol.)
Wow that hutch would be huge! I think i will have to look into the space that we would have avaliable, do they only live for 4 years then? I thought that they lived from 6-8, but i gather that becasue of there size they ave shorter life, not that that would put me off.

If you dont mind i may pm you nearer with any more questions that i have - not that i can think of many more at the moment.

Do you have nay pictures?

I have hundreds of pictures!! I'll get them all up on photobucket (here is the link...not all are up! http://s470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/Teddybunbun/ )
but you can look at his blog for more (there are lots of pictures dotted in there.)

You need to think carefully about getting a Frenchie. They are VERY powerful (even the most docile). Ted hasn't ever hurt me on purpose, and yet I am scarred with scratches from his HAYOOGE claws and have been winded a few times. You will need one who has been properly handled as otherwise they can be unmanageable....(sorry...probably not the stuff you want to know, but I'm telling you anyway.)

Having said all that, getting Teddy is the best thing I've ever done (*ahem...other than having my son!*) He follows me everywhere, comes when called, sleeps in bed snuggled up to me and flops next to me, under my chair...wherever he can flop he will!!

You need to do more research on them as you might find your situatiuon isn't suited. Mini/dwarf lops are lovely pets (My first was a Dwarf Lop) but take up less food and money.

Any questions, please ask!

(If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?)

I had a frenchie, I miss him SO SO much. They have the most different personalities, and every frenchie owner I have talked to agreed. They are very greedy buns, and will scoff anything, no joke! BTW, that accomodation Teddys mum has said isn't huge, its probably the minimum requirment, i would say more like 7ft x 3ft becuase they are big buns. It would be much better option if you got a shed instead, much cheaper, and bigger IMO! Please do not make this decision lightly, having a frenchie, let alone ANY bun is a big choice to make. Welfare and minimum requirments have changed DRASTICALLY, so please look into it! I don't mean to sound patronising though ;)

heres George Porge pudding... I wish he was still living with me though :cry:. Unfortunatley, bonding didn't work, so he's living in a fab home with Kay and her giants :)
IMG_7406.jpg

IMG_7417.jpg

IMG_8229.jpg

Having only had French X and Giant buns I would definately say that they shouldn't live in a hutch but in a shed or play huse whith a large run attached if they cannot be kept inside. this would probably be cheaper than getting a hutch that kind of size too.
What is it thats drawing you to Frenchies? Because of their size and weight they arent great for being picked up...but love cuddles on their own level.

He's beautiful!! I don't think that they should live in a hutch at all! I meant that is the minimum...but sincerely hope that they only go in the hutches at night if at all...as Ted does. During the day he is a free range house bun (and in the winter he is in his indoor cage at night-because of temp change.)

Teddy's mum if you dont mind i dont really want to post my age on the internet, nothing to do with you or anyone on here its just a preferance....i will put i am young - under 20.

I am beginning to think that maybe a frenchie is not for me...they seem like a big commitment - not that i am not commited as i already have 2 dogs, 2 cats chicken a horse etc etc, but i have no shed that is suitable, and there is no way that i would be able to keep it inside - they also sound like they take up a lot of space.

Dont worry coco1200 yournot sounding patranising, as said above i am beginning to think that i am not suited to them.

Bluesmum, i am not sure why i like them, i think they are gorgeous! and i have finally got over my last rabbit that i had, after over 4 years, i never did think that i would say i want a rabbit becuase he ment so much to me, and died at such a young age RIP Nutmeg, another reason is when iget another rabbit it will have to be drastically different to nutty as i dont think i will be able to cope with any bun quite the same. It sounds childish but he was amazing.

It sounds like i am making this decision lightly and not thinking about it, but this is the whole reason i joined this forum - to gather inforamtion on different breeds, and find the right one to me.

French lops look lovely, but i'm not sure if they are the best choice although my heart was set on getting one i dont think i had really thought about it until today.

Do the dwarf lops have relaxed temperment as well? What size hutch/space do they need?

P.S all your rabbits are gorgeous!

Last edited:
You've done the right thing, coming on here! Dwarf lops can be lovely and have very pretty faces (not dissimilar to the F-lops!) If they are well handled then they make perfect pets! They have a longer life expectancy and technically take up less space (although don't have to!)

They are, however, easier to sneak in the house!! (And believe me, once your mum sees him she won't mind him coming in!!)

:wave: Welcome to RU! Its a great place to learn about buns.

A dwarf lop is still quite a big bun although not as big as a frenchie. Dwarf refers to the size of their ears rather than their bodies.

About the hutch size. Even small buns need a lot of space and 6ft by 2ft with an attached run is the minimum a rescue would require you to have. This is also the size recommended by the RSPCA.

Good luck with your research and well done for doing your research before getting a bun.

Hi im new here. i have had 5 rabbits in the past but none have lived very long :(

We have had Rabbits in the past, and have decided to get another,:D i have decided that i would wquite like a french lop eared rabbit. Although i have a few questions about them if you dont mind answering them???

I no the need a lot of space, but what is the smallest size hutch and run that you would put one in? i would go for a pair as rabbits tend to be happier in pairs and have them in ashed with attatched run...if not how about dwarf lops who are still alrge bunnys but not quite as big they could fit in a normal sized 6x2x3ft hutch with attatched 6x6ft run?

Bit of a thick question :oops: - the obviously have to eat more??yes a larger rabbit should eat mroe...but be aware a rabbits diet whatever breed should be 85% hay or grass, they should have pelleted food too and vaggies

Anything i have to know specifically for having a french lop rabbit?due to their size they can have problems with their hocks and be aware frenchies being a larger rabbit will live a shorter perod of time to your average rabbit due tothe strain being larger puts on their heart. they will also require more space being larger how about having them as free rnage hous bunies? also being lops they are more prone to dental problems

Are they generally friendly? like any rabbit they are natrually prey animals and so most dont like being picked up every rabbit is different its not to do with breed its to do with personality like people we al lhave different colour skin but it doesnt mean cuz you come from one part of town you are nicer...

A few general questions.....

Would you have a buck or a doe? both i would get a bonded neutered pair from a rescue as rabbits really do need company. neutering stops uterine cancer and stops bad behaviouors such as growling spraying and humping it genrally makes both does and buccks calmer.
Does anyone have a list of vegetables that they can and cannot eat?there are lots of vegatables and plants suitable for rabbits see the diet section for more info!
Would you get he/she castrated/spayed?yes and yes unless the vet(rabbit savvy) says not to due to a medical condition it means they can be bonded and live in a pair or group they will be calmer and therefore generally freindlier with less bad behaviour, will be more litter trainable will not get cancer
Do you vacinate your rabbits? How much are the roughly?
Insurance?
insurance varys personally i prefer to keep a credit card free and also to save money each month for them then once it at a certain level keep it topped up at that level as for vaccinations these are vhd annually at anything from 12-30 pounds depending on vet and myxi every 6 months which is about the same price some vets will give you a discount for buying them together or for mulitiple bunnies, also be aware the myxi 10% must be given into the skin....this can be via the ear or pulling out a bit in the neck, and vaccs should be given 2 weeks minimum apart and only to a healthy rabbiti always reccomend vaccination unless for health reasons as myxi is transmitted bu biting insects and vhd via anything vhd kills and with vaccine your rabbit cannot get it and myxi in an unvaccs rabbit will be full blown and untreatable a certain pts case sadly...where as myxi the nodular form which many of us' buns have gotten can be survived with quick good vetinary treatment and good nursing.
Im sure that i will have more questions, thanks in advance for any answers.

Not to sure when i am getting a rabbit probably at the end of novemeber or somtime, but needed to read up on the breeds that i am interested in :)
i think rather than looking at breeds you should look at a local rescue there are so many bunnys needing homes from 8week old babies(the earliest any bunny shoudl leave its mum) to 12yr old pensioner bunnys, often the rabbtis have been already bonded into pairs and it will save you money as the rescue will have neutered and vaccinated the rabbits before you get them you also then have lifetime commitment for the buns meaning should for whatever reason you not look after them the rescue will take them back. x

Teddy's mum if you dont mind i dont really want to post my age on the internet, nothing to do with you or anyone on here its just a preferance....i will put i am young - under 20.

I am beginning to think that maybe a frenchie is not for me...they seem like a big commitment - not that i am not commited as i already have 2 dogs, 2 cats chicken a horse etc etc, but i have no shed that is suitable, and there is no way that i would be able to keep it inside - they also sound like they take up a lot of space.

Dont worry coco1200 yournot sounding patranising, as said above i am beginning to think that i am not suited to them.

Bluesmum, i am not sure why i like them, i think they are gorgeous! and i have finally got over my last rabbit that i had, after over 4 years, i never did think that i would say i want a rabbit becuase he ment so much to me, and died at such a young age RIP Nutmeg, another reason is when iget another rabbit it will have to be drastically different to nutty as i dont think i will be able to cope with any bun quite the same. It sounds childish but he was amazing.

It sounds like i am making this decision lightly and not thinking about it, but this is the whole reason i joined this forum - to gather inforamtion on different breeds, and find the right one to me.

French lops look lovely, but i'm not sure if they are the best choice although my heart was set on getting one i dont think i had really thought about it until today.

Do the dwarf lops have relaxed temperment as well? What size hutch/space do they need?

P.S all your rabbits are gorgeous!

Rather than researching breeds, you could look at a recue. Breed descriptions aren't always accurate, if I use Dwarf Lops for example, you could get a lovely one, or a horrible tempered one. There are over 10,000 rabbits in rescues, all because they have no one to love them. Most rabbits in rescues are allready tame, and neutered/spayed.

I knew i had to do research on which ever rabbit breed i decided, as it is a pet hate of mine when people 'think' they know what they are doing when infact they dont.

I think that a dwarf rabbit sounds better for the space that we have to provide, and i hadnt really thought of a resuce but i think that is a great option as well. I have had a quick look and already spied a rabbit i like:lol:, but i looks like i still have lots of things to read up on, although having owned rabbits before, i want to do thing better this time.

AND there is buying a hutch, it seems that they are very expensive and i will have to go hunting for a bargin, as i dont have all too much to spend on a hutch, even though they are important i cant spend 100's.

Thanks everyone for your advise, i will have more questions to come no doubt :)

I knew i had to do research on which ever rabbit breed i decided, as it is a pet hate of mine when people 'think' they know what they are doing when infact they dont.

I think that a dwarf rabbit sounds better for the space that we have to provide, and i hadnt really thought of a resuce but i think that is a great option as well. I have had a quick look and already spied a rabbit i like:lol:, but i looks like i still have lots of things to read up on, although having owned rabbits before, i want to do thing better this time.

AND there is buying a hutch, it seems that they are very expensive and i will have to go hunting for a bargin, as i dont have all too much to spend on a hutch, even though they are important i cant spend 100's.

if you bunny proofed a room or rooms of the house, you could use a smaller cage and have buns running free range the wires would need covering and plants made sure not poisonous, but the buns and you could have a grand time! :) a 48inch dog crate is often used (around £20 on ebay...or nic cubes available from b n q stores adn argos i think you can they either make a large pen to attatch or as i said allow free range access. if outdoors look for bargains on ebay or there is a double tier 6ft hutch in pah at the moment for only£99 which is a bargain also simon on here makes really cheap 6ft hutches i think they were around £60.... then you will of course need a run too which is more easy to find on ebay or free ads make sure its tall enough to let your bunny filly stretch min height of 2ft id say ideally about 3ft and make sure it has a lid! :) bes tof luck. rabbit rehome has a list of rescues near you too. x

With rescue rabbits, you will be able to handle them too, and you will know what the rabbits personality is like before you get it. Some rescues have bonded pairs too.

As for the hutch, don't you know anyone that could make one? You can make it how you want, and it's usually a lot cheaper :)

I would love to have a bunny inside, but unfortuantly it is not an option. I have a while before i even start the search for my bun, but i will have to be on the search for a hutch starting now,due to the expensive of them.

Just want to say thanks to everyone!

I don't personally beleive that temperament in rabbits is determined by breeds, as it is in dogs...they can vary so drastically within the breed that it's not really possible to generalise. I agee with the idea of going to a rescue to meet the various rabbits and assess which one has a temperament to suit you :) good luck!

Back