• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of getting Bunny a friend

peanuts

New Kit
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right section to add this, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on keeping 2 rabbits together.

We have recently got a baby male conti 12wks old, and was wondering if it was possible to get a friend for him. Is it possible to keep 2 males together and not have them neutered?

What are the pros & cons of keeping rabbits together or on their own?

Any help or advise will be appreciated.
thank you

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right section to add this, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on keeping 2 rabbits together.

We have recently got a baby male conti 12wks old, and was wondering if it was possible to get a friend for him. Is it possible to keep 2 males together and not have them neutered?

What are the pros & cons of keeping rabbits together or on their own?

No, you cannot keep any rabbits together without neutering. Your little chap is about the right age for being neutered. The best match would then be with a neutered female. Rescues will have neutered rabbits in which can be bonded with yours but your boy must be done already.

It's a really good idea to keep rabbits in at least pairs as the are sicial creatures. It's great to watch them playing togther and grooming each other which is also imporatnt for keeping themselves clean. The only con as far as getting another rabbit would be the extra food and vet bills. I personally wouldn't keep a rabbit on it's own assuming I could still afford to keep more than 1. It's isn't too bad if your rabbit is a house rabbit but is still preferable to have 2 house bunnies if you can.

i agree with all of the above. All bunnies whether they are same sex or different need to be neutured if they are going to have a friend. a male/female combination is best and easiest done though.

Personally, i dont think there are any pro's to having a bun on their own really, because they just benefit so much from company :)

Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply.

We didn't get Dylan a friend in the end. I still live at home and although my mother is willing to let me get another rabbit she says we can't have Dylan done. So i thought it would be best not to get a second bun.

Hi,

We didn't get Dylan a friend in the end. I still live at home and although my mother is willing to let me get another rabbit she says we can't have Dylan done. So i thought it would be best not to get a second bun.

To be honest it is much better for Dylan to be done, you really need to talk to you Mum about it. He might start spraying wee to mark his territory, humping everything and get aggressive. It really is in their best interests to neuter them.

I am thinking about getting Bramble done, so that I can maybe get him a friend. Roughly how much would that cost?

I am thinking about getting Bramble done, so that I can maybe get him a friend. Roughly how much would that cost?

My vet charges £60 last time I asked which was a while ago. They are really good and reasonably priced for this area. The one is I use is just over the border from Beds, if you want their details pm me :wave:

Last edited:
I have two vets ones charges £77 for a male castration, and another charges £46. Prices really do vary, and these vets are just down the road from each other.

Hi,

Why can't you get him done? Sure she'll change her mind when he starts spraying! :lol:

I've not been sprayed yet, but keep getting circled.....so does OH too - slightly worrying! :lol: Bramble will be 3 in Februaury, is it too late to get him done?

Hi,

:wave: Maybe show your mum some information on neutering :) Or even this thread? :) She might decide its a good idea once she sees what a difference it can make to their behavior x

Back