• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SQ Injections / Eep!! Mucous in Feces

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I've been giving Eddison SQ injections of Baytril for the past three days. I've noticed that the previous two injection sites have some blood.

Am I doing it wrong? If not, should I try and disinfect these areas?

Last edited:
Yes thats what I meant. I always change needles as drawing up can blunt the needle and it also helps prevent baytri burn as the second needle will be clean :)

Yes thats what I meant. I always change needles as drawing up can blunt the needle and it also helps prevent baytri burn as the second needle will be clean :)

That makes a lot of sense. I feel so terrible that Eddison has to be my SQ guinea pig. :oops: I only have one more injection to do on him tomorrow, but I will try changing the needle.

In the mean time, should I bathe the previous injection sites with something like Betadine? Or will they heal on their own?

I just checked on Eddison and a couple of his poos have a dark mucous on them. I've read that this can come from inappropriate antibiotics. I wonder if it's the .13ml of Baytril I've been injecting. Or if it's been the Metacam he's had. (Although that was a low dosage for a very short time.)

I've decided to give him some 1 gram of probiotic twice daily. What should I do? :(

Last edited:
It would be extremely unusual for Baytril to cause a gut dysbiosis :? Obviously not impossible but in 11 years I have never had a Rabbit react badly to Baytril as far a gut dysbiosis goes.

The probiotics are a good idea. I'd also try to maximise his long fibre intake- ie get him to eat as much hay as possible even if this means less concentrated feed for 24-48 hours.

It would be extremely unusual for Baytril to cause a gut dysbiosis :? Obviously not impossible but in 11 years I have never had a Rabbit react badly to Baytril as far a gut dysbiosis goes.

The probiotics are a good idea. I'd also try to maximise his long fibre intake- ie get him to eat as much hay as possible even if this means less concentrated feed for 24-48 hours.

Will do. What do you think caused it though? Was it the Metacam? Or maybe me feeding too much lettuce. :? Can gut dysbiosis be caused by stress?

Will do. What do you think caused it though? Was it the Metacam? Or maybe me feeding too much lettuce. :? Can gut dysbiosis be caused by stress?

What sort of Lettuce ?

I'd not feed ANY for now.
Yes, stress can cause gut dysbiosis/GI hypomotility.

I think Lettuce is the prime suspect here though

What sort of Lettuce ?

I'd not feed ANY for now.
Yes, stress can cause gut dysbiosis/GI hypomotility.

I think Lettuce is the prime suspect here though

It's romaine, which is his favorite. I had stopped feeding it for awhile, then reintroduced it a couple days ago.

(ETA: Romaine is his favorite veggie, not his favorite kind of lettuce. I only feed him romaine.)

It's romaine, which is his favorite. I had stopped feeding it for awhile, then reintroduced it a couple days ago.

(ETA: Romaine is his favorite veggie, not his favorite kind of lettuce. I only feed him romaine.)

OK, then I think you might have found the cause of the problem.
He's finished his Baytril now hasn't he ?
I would keep him on a hay/pellet diet and give probiotics for at least a week.
Hopefully his gut flora should re-establish a 'healthy' balance in that time and then you can slowly and in VERY small amounts, re-introduce fresh foods :)

OK, then I think you might have found the cause of the problem.
He's finished his Baytril now hasn't he ?
I would keep him on a hay/pellet diet and give probiotics for at least a week.
Hopefully his gut flora should re-establish a 'healthy' balance in that time and then you can slowly and in VERY small amounts, re-introduce fresh foods :)

Alright, that puts my mind at rest. I feel so bad that I'm learning on these two rabbits. They deserve an expert mom. :(

He has one more dose of the Baytril tomorrow morning, although his neck area is sore from the injections. I hope somewhere down there he knows that I'm just a panicked mom hoping that he doesn't get an abscess near his pretty eyes. :(

ETA: Thank you so much, as usual. :)

Yep, that's what I'm using! Eddison doesn't like the taste, but I'll win him over. :wave:

I sometimes put it on top of a treat if they don't like, I get a bit carried away and pretend I am icing fancy cakes :oops::lol:

If you need any more posting out just ask :wave:

Not meaning to throw a spanner in the works - but the first and only time i've ever had to use Baytril so far it caused gastric stasis in our foster bun just after we finished the course. I was sort of expecting some dysbiosis because of it so we were prepared mentally but it was still a shock to find him in the morning cold and lying awkwardly to relieve the gas. Of course it is totally feasible it was something else, I don't think you ever can really know for sure, but it sure has made me cautious if I ever have to use an oral antibiotic again.

Back