• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 - 4 hours journey with rabbits

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Hi
I have to take my rabbits away next Friday, and the journey is about 3 - 4 hours. I have the waterbottles attatched, and plenty off food and hay ready to put in with them. Lots of bedding too.

The two carriers will be in the back with me. The larger rabbit is in a carrier where the top opens, so I will probably let him have a little run around/cuddle half way through.

Any other tips on keeping them happy and relaxed?

- They are also used to half an hour car journeys

Someone on here surgested that lavender is good for claming bunnies on car trips, but of course you have to slowly get them used to eating lavender. Mine are having a car trip in 2 weeks, so I am slowly getting them used to lavender now.

Also I've put a blanket on the floor of their bedroom that they have been sleeping on and I plan to cover their basket with the blanket, so its dark in there and smells like them. I have no idea if it will help, but its worth a go.

Someone on here surgested that lavender is good for claming bunnies on car trips, but of course you have to slowly get them used to eating lavender. Mine are having a car trip in 2 weeks, so I am slowly getting them used to lavender now.

Also I've put a blanket on the floor of their bedroom that they have been sleeping on and I plan to cover their basket with the blanket, so its dark in there and smells like them. I have no idea if it will help, but its worth a go.

Ill have a go with the lavender :)
How long does it last? They are doing rabbit jumping, so I don't want them half asleep :lol:
Not sure about the blanket, Harleys carrier hasn't got a huge ammount of air holes, and I don't want to make it any warmer than it allready is, but I might try prop something up to make it darker.

Keeping it dark helps, so they can't see everything rushing by outside the car window (or street lights if your traveling in the dark). I also keep lots of hay in there for them but normally take the water bottle off now after the first journey where I got home to find a wet carrier and an empty bottle as it leaks like crazy with the constant movement. I've never seen them drink while I am driving either, ours all lie down and snuggle :love::love:

Hours have travelled four hours of traffic fine (was only ment to take 90mins grr) lol

Keeping it dark helps, so they can't see everything rushing by outside the car window (or street lights if your traveling in the dark). I also keep lots of hay in there for them but normally take the water bottle off now after the first journey where I got home to find a wet carrier and an empty bottle as it leaks like crazy with the constant movement. I've never seen them drink while I am driving either, ours all lie down and snuggle :love::love:

Hours have travelled four hours of traffic fine (was only ment to take 90mins grr) lol

Ill soak some vegies too for water before they go. im not sure about the water bottle. One drinks loads, but the other hardly drinks at all. I might put the water bottle on the carriers every half hour or so, just incase :)

I did a ten hour car journey with Ozzie when I took him back with me.He was absolutely fine,I did stop every so often and put the carrier outside so he could get some air. I put food in and hay and had a water bottle [I must have been lucky as mine didnt leak]. I think he nibbled some hay and may have had a drink but he had a feed when we got home.

Blue has to have soaked hay because of his dust allergy.

But when we take Honey anywere I always soak her hay that I give to her as she doesn't drink much aswell as veg, that way I know shes getting some water :)

I don't put a balnket in as it makes Blue really hot but I do put a small cuddly toy in he can cuddle upto.

<ine don't seem to care wether its 30mins or 3hours, they tend to flop out and snooze.

If you can you know you can get little like sunthings you put on car windows for children, we put one on where the bunnies are so that the sun doesnt shine on them and make them too hot.

Have fun, :wave:

Blue has to have soaked hay because of his dust allergy.

But when we take Honey anywere I always soak her hay that I give to her as she doesn't drink much aswell as veg, that way I know shes getting some water :)

I don't put a balnket in as it makes Blue really hot but I do put a small cuddly toy in he can cuddle upto.

<ine don't seem to care wether its 30mins or 3hours, they tend to flop out and snooze.

If you can you know you can get little like sunthings you put on car windows for children, we put one on where the bunnies are so that the sun doesnt shine on them and make them too hot.

Have fun, :wave:

I like your sig, is the jumper yours?

Is it next sunday your doing the demo? I may come down and see :D

Yeah thats my rabbit Blue :)

Yep. It's not meant to be a competition, but feel free to bring Blue :) I only have two rabbits, and only one is likely to jump, and he's very fast, so not much of a show :lol:

Yep. It's not meant to be a competition, but feel free to bring Blue :) I only have two rabbits, and only one is likely to jump, and he's very fast, so not much of a show :lol:

How do you get your rabbits to jump? Not that I would try it with mine, they are way to grumpy.

How do you get your rabbits to jump? Not that I would try it with mine, they are way to grumpy.

Read the info on the site :)
I wrote it, although mine aren't trained that way :lol: With Harley I used to guide him over jumps with dandelion leaves, then click a clicker and give him the leaf. In about a week I converted him from doing this, to getting a treat at the end once he had completed the course. Flash Is trained the way it sais on the site, but with a click and treat at the end.

They probably won't use the water bottles on the journey so I would give them some apple as it has a high water content.

Heya, only just seen this as had a show today.
Will check that my taxi driver can bring me :lol: and doesnt mind more rabbit mess in his car. I will let you know tomorrow, shouldn't see why not. He loves his jumping :D

Heya, only just seen this as had a show today.
Will check that my taxi driver can bring me :lol: and doesnt mind more rabbit mess in his car. I will let you know tomorrow, shouldn't see why not. He loves his jumping :D

Are you a rabbit exhibitor, or was it a different kind of show? :lol:
Hope to see you there :D
I'll be in a white coat with no badges sewn on, but it will have 'Demi Smith' on the front.
Would you like me to get him a pen at the show, or is he ok in his carrier? To be honest the pens aren't that much bigger than most carriers, but if you want one then I'll ask :)

Hi
I have to take my rabbits away next Friday, and the journey is about 3 - 4 hours. I have the waterbottles attatched, and plenty off food and hay ready to put in with them. Lots of bedding too.

The two carriers will be in the back with me. The larger rabbit is in a carrier where the top opens, so I will probably let him have a little run around/cuddle half way through.

Any other tips on keeping them happy and relaxed?

- They are also used to half an hour car journeys

hi hun dont worry too much about them crank up the air con to keep the car cool or open the windows thats it really you have covered the rest see you there xxx

hi hun dont worry too much about them crank up the air con to keep the car cool or open the windows thats it really you have covered the rest see you there xxx

Thanks, I will do :)
I've even made some little paper blinds for the side of one of the carriers :lol:
See you there :wave: :) x

Back