• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What sort of relationship do you have with your vet?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
As title suggest (funnily enough) :D

Like, do you just go and listen to whatever the vet says, do you do your own research and discuss your ideas, is your vet receptive to your thoughts, are you able to stand up to your vet if you disagree with what they have done? Etc, because there are millions of different dynamics.

I'm lucky with mine. He respects my views and ideas and often we debate different options for what is best. He tried Convenia on my suggestion, for a girlie with head tilt, when he had never used it for that before, and it worked really well. I always try to research so I know where we are and what to expect and also the right questions to ask.

I had some awful experiences with previous vets, and ended up losing 4 buns due to vet error, and my lack of knowledge in challenging their rubbish treaments, so now I always make sure I know as much as I can. Thankfully my current vet doesn't take offence at that.

So tell me about how your dynamics.

Last edited:
My vet is brilliant and will usally listen to me when i give ideas/sugestions/thoughts :D
I'm glad im with vets who are absolutley lovley!

My vets usually treat me as an idiot when I walk in, but soon realise that I know what I'm on about. I had a huge argument with an emergancy vet once, but she was wrong and admitted it in the end.

I leave the diagnosis and treatment to my vets own judgement.

I work in a preschool and have been trained accordingly he has been trained as a vet and trained accordingly.

I do hope this thread has not been started due to me not telling the vet how to do his job properly :roll:

Not the type i wished i had ;) ;)

My vets are great, they always take time to listen to what i have to say :)

I do hope this thread has not been started due to me not telling the vet how to do his job properly :roll:

:? This thread has been started because of I was thinking about my vet earlier because someone mentioned on the abscess buns thread about the different types of anti-biotics and got me thinking I was glad we were able to try a good antibiotic with my head tilt girl.

If we hadn't been able to try that she would never have got so much better. My old vets would never have listened.

Last edited:
I GOT HERE BEFORE HETTY!!

well the relationship I have with my vet isnt what i want it to be to be honest..........

i mean we will be married one day of course but, it just takes time! :lol::lol::lol:

I GOT HERE BEFORE HETTY!!

well the relationship I have with my vet isnt what i want it to be to be honest..........

i mean we will be married one day of course but, it just takes time! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Just keep taking animals to him :D He'll get to know you that way.

I tend to research before turning up and make "suggestions" if I feel it's necessary. I see a lot of different vets as it's a big practise and some are more receptive to these ideas than others. In general I wouldn't press for something unless i was 100% sure I was right, after all they have had 7+ years of training and I have done 30 mins research on the internet ;)

However one of the vets I now don't trust whatsoever, and I'm not happy with the overall policy of that practise not to prescribe ANY antibiotic to rabbits except baytril, even in extreme circumstances :? So i'm thinking of switching vets, which is a shame because two of my current vets are really good, and within walking distance (I don't drive)

My vet is good.

Alfie has developed a possible asthma like condition which he has never seen before. He is always willing to listen to suggestion's I have found on here/internet etc but I trust his final judgement.

Its a bit different for me because I work with them, but they are usually pretty good at listening to suggestions. If they think the idea is rubbish or pointless they will tell me but they will consider things and are happy to try something different. It works both ways though, and they will suggest new ideas to me as they know I will give things a try, when others are wary.

My vet is fantastic. She will admit when she doesn't know things, and she's always interested in looking things up. I told her about Fibreplex (as it isn't in the US), and she looked it up and said she would probably get some for her vet practice. When Eddison was on Metacam, she told me to give him Fibreplex afterward to help his tummy, so she definitely remembered.

However, I think the best part is that my vet is compassionate. I love how she holds my buns and talks to them and treats them as gently as possible. Eddison is very skittish and he wouldn't stay still for an x-ray. She said she was about to give up and sedate him, but she felt that he could do it, and when she tried again, sure enough!, that little sucker sat still.

I'm very lucky. :D

Our main vet Jane is fab! She is very respectful of us & is always willing to listen to us if we want to try something new etc, that said we completely respect her judgement when treating our buns :) She's also a very, very compassionate person who is not only interested in doing her best for your animals but you as a person too :) There are 1 or 2 other vets at our practice that I trust, but there is one in particular that I don't :?

If she'd have had her way she have put our headtilt bunny Wilson to sleep, because she wouldn't listen to what we wanted to try for him :( I will never see her again with our buns after this :evil:

Good job we did challenge her & complained about her, as Wilson is still her to tell the tale :D

my vet never used to listen to me but when something is wrong with one of my buns i always do research on it when Lilli-Mai was deathly ill and vets were ready to give up i demanded a blood test of which brought us answers its sad that it hadn't been done earlier or she may have been still with me but im hoping from that experience my vet will remember those signs and have future buns with those symptoms blood tested asap rather then guessin whats wrong :)

when i see my vet in the street or sometimes he pops into where i work we will always say hi and talk haha

so i have a friendly relationship with my vet :D

My vet is superb and as become a really good friend, we even went to her wedding and off to a bbq in a couple of weeks at hers:D

:wave:I have two vets at two different practices. Both are great in different ways and really care about animals, are open to suggestions/discussion etc...

There are 2 vets at my practice that I have a really good relationship with,can talk to etc and one of them I challenged about treatment when she suggested pts....she went away and got advice from Bristol and I was proved right.

I do try to research before I go so that I know the kind of treatment to expect and on the whole theyre pretty good!:)

Well I had awful vets in past who were scared to touch my bunny and I stood like a lemon instead of pointing out what I knew because I thought he knows or should know best.
My vet now is great shes all bunny and she still looks stuff up to check, shes cuddles and talks to them with silly voices and I even tell her what they have told my animal communicator friend. When angel was weeing and she spoke to Aunty Clare she said she had sore wee wee.
Told vet angel said shes sore when wees and vet didnt think I was mad she felt her and said she feels like she m,ay have cystitis started antibiotics before even new if it was as she didnt want angel hurting. Then got wee sample which turned out to be a little cystitis.

:evil:ii have trouble with my vet when i walk in with my dad he atmately thinks we dont take care of it because of im a kid and its mine some vets are ingrunent one vet i went to i missed my apooinment by 6 minutes he went sorry were all booked he was free for half an hour lukkily it was only a check up getting a new vet

Back