• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini-Lop had stillborn/miscarriage

mhayes

New Kit
Hi I am new here But I have some questions about a rabbit I just got. I placed an add to buy a couple bunnies for my kids. I received a call, from a nice very elderly lady whoes children and grandson lived with her. She had 4 rabbits and 2 cages she would sell me. I got there and she had a male and female in each cage. She said she did this because they fought, so they maybe pregnant.The one had already had babies before she is a mini lop had 15 bunnies they all died. They smelled bad and looked like the cages hadnt ben cleaned ever!! I felt so bad I gave her $30.00 and took them home cleaned up cages seperated the rabbits(I had clean cages at home). This was 2 days ago, One mini lop(who had babies before) She is now in cage alone as they all are. Anyway this morning I go outside to feed/water play with them. While cleaning the cage I found 1 dead baby it was very tiny 2 inches, no hair, looked to be developing correctly. I saw 4 paws a head with small ears, eyes everything looked ok. It had a string like attacked to it with a big round IDK circle thing at the end. She was in a cage with a male mini-rex before I seperate her. She doing fine no bleeding and still wants held and cuddled. Did she have a miscarriage? Can she still have more bunnies inside her? I do not know how old she is but she is full grown.

That sounds like a prem kit with a placenta still attached.

Yes, it is possible that she will have more kits. It has been known to have litters hours, even days apart because they have two uterine horns which gives a bit of leeway. They can carry babies in each horn. If this is all there is in one horn then there may be others in the other horn.

It's good she is not bleeding. Is she alert? Eating? Drinking? Pooing? Weeing?

I would suggest giving her a nest box. It needs to be open at the top, big enough for her to get in and turn around in and also with high enough sides so any kits can't wriggle out. That way, if she does have any more then hopefully she will have them in there.

The chances of her looking after them are slim because she has just had a big upheaval.

The other doe may also be pregnant, so it might be worth also giving her a nest box too.

Well done you for getting them out of this situation.

What are your plans for them?

I dont have any plans for them as to breed or anything they are my pets. I did put a box in with hay because I wasnt sure. Yes, she is going potty and lots to I cleaned it up this morning.
The other is also a mini-lop she was in with a male lionhead. On her back she has hairloss and has little scabs, she looks awful. I cleaned her up placed her alone and rubbed her with some bag balm to sooth her skin. She was in a cage that they had cardboard over the hardwire cloth, so no poop could drop threw. It was so thick and gross took me almost 2 hrs to get it clean. The lionhead didnt have any hairloss or scabs He looks healthy and a little shy.

It sounds like her scabs and hairloss could be due to him repeatedly mounting her. So you can probably safely presume she is pregnant. I would treat it as if she is due today, so the nest box, etc, should go in.

Do any of her wounds look large? Infected?

It's good to hear you're not planning to breed them again. Would a good plan to be get the boys neutered and the girls spayed and then rebond them back into pairs?

I was also going to suggest getting them all neuterd as soon as you can. They can live happily back in their pairs, or even as a 4, once theyv all been done and their hormones have been settled, aslong as they are bonded correctly (see bonding section). As soon as you can id take them to the vets for a general health check, they can estimate their ages and weigh them, and provide you with advise.

Personally, id phone a vet up about this, they may suggest bringing the female in or just monitoring, if she had one id be worried, as usually there are more. As you said she seems fine just keep a close eye on her for now, then maybe contact your vet tomorrow, even if its just for advise rather than a check-up, many good vets are willing to provide advise for free so itd worth a shot.

Im happy to hear you took them all away, giving them the chance of a happy life! Good luck with them, and sorry i cant be more help abou the baby!

I will call vet.
I did try to place the 2 males together and 2 females so the wouldnt be lonely. Neither seemed to mind the other. I just decided to keep them seperate for now because I figure maybe both were pregnant and to make sure none had were sick that the other might get. Since I saw the mini-lop with the hair loss and scabs. I figured since males where heathly looking in a week I would see if I could bond them, then once the female heals bond them together, well I am hopeing it will work out that way.

The scabs where just tiny Q-tip end is bigger then the scabs, They look to be old and new because hair is shorter and newer looking on some spots. No infections she doesnt scratch or bite at the spots, but like I said as soon as I got them home they went into new clean pens and I put bag balm on her so that may have helped if she was itchy.

I will call vet.
I did try to place the 2 males together and 2 females so the wouldnt be lonely. Neither seemed to mind the other. I just decided to keep them seperate for now because I figure maybe both were pregnant and to make sure none had were sick that the other might get. Since I saw the mini-lop with the hair loss and scabs. I figured since males where heathly looking in a week I would see if I could bond them, then once the female heals bond them together, well I am hopeing it will work out that way.

The scabs where just tiny Q-tip end is bigger then the scabs, They look to be old and new because hair is shorter and newer looking on some spots. No infections she doesnt scratch or bite at the spots, but like I said as soon as I got them home they went into new clean pens and I put bag balm on her so that may have helped if she was itchy.

yes i think they would like the company but i wouldnt just put them together certaintly not yet as often due to hormones any unspayed/neutered rabbits will fight teh best combinations are neutered pairs of male and female. :)

Back