• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question re: bonding single to pair

Rykat

Mama Doe
I originally posted in Bonding section about this so won't go into details again and sorry if this should be in bonding section but just need a quick answer.

When introducing a new bun to exisiting pair is it better to treat the pair as one or introduce them individually? They are single male (approx 5yrs), exisiting male/female pair (approx 3 yrs), all neutered.

The plan was to introduce them a few weeks ago but I had to have an op on my shoulder which wouldn't allow me to intervene in any fisty paws.

Thanks guys :)

I've done it both ways. I think it depends on the buns to be honest.

I have done a few trios and normally just put all three together, but have, when having an awkward bun, done them one by one.

Do you think either of the males will be awkward with each other? That's probably the most likely problem to occur, although obviously the girlie could be awkward.

As a general rule I do all three first and see how that goes, and then adjust from there if necessary. I would suggest having two pairs of hands around if you can though 'just in case'.

Hiya and thaks for your reply :)

I'm honestly not sure whose going to be the most awkward, when I started bonding Opal & Benji it was him first, then her and so on, but Zander is a friendly bun yet maybe different with another male.

I've decided to start the bonding tomorrow (when vets are open!) as Zander is becoming quite the bachelor or is more grunty than normal :lol:

What I may do then is use a larger pen in the lounge (neutral) with the pair one side and him the other a see whose the arsey one. If there is one then I'll concentrate on bonding them first, whatcha think?

I'm no bonding expert, but I might try doing all three and see how the dynamics play out. Then, if there is an "odd man out", you can try bonding one on one. :)

Thanks for advice. Well we took the plunge last night, made a pen with a separation, put Zander one side and Opal the other (she's more dominant than Benji), that went well so we removed the barrier, a few mini chases and nips but water spray/hubbies hand stopped them, that went well so we tried just the boys together, same thing so got brave and tried all 3 .... here's the result

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

Zander in on left, Opal middle and Benji right.

We started with a smaller pen then enlarged it and they were together for about 3 hours, each bun taking it in turns to "guard" the litter tray :lol:

Didn't leave them together as I'm a total wuss and want to take it slowly! Due to dog training tonight we've not tried them again but will tomorrow. If by the weekend everything is still going well I might leave them overnight.

Last edited:
Back