• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angora bunnies

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I am considering offering a certain angora bunny in rescue a home. But I would like to know what special requirements they need.

I currently have hay racks and baskets, and they have megazorb in their litter trays. I wonder if this is an ideal set up for an angora? I have used shreaded paper in the past.

I have read that keeping them short through scissor cutting will help keep matts and knotting unde control but even then they still need regular grooming, which I am commited to.

Any advice and help to get me to an informed decision would be great.

I am considering offering a certain angora bunny in rescue a home. But I would like to know what special requirements they need.

I currently have hay racks and baskets, and they have megazorb in their litter trays. I wonder if this is an ideal set up for an angora? I have used shreaded paper in the past.

I have read that keeping them short through scissor cutting will help keep matts and knotting unde control but even then they still need regular grooming, which I am commited to.

Any advice and help to get me to an informed decision would be great.

If your willing to groom daily, then you might not need to clip the coat. You will need some kind of blower (Like a hairdryer, or vaccum on reverse) which is blown into the coat so you can see any knots. You will also need things like combs and slicker brushes.

Hi, I have an angora/ lion head cross who lives with a cashmere lop. They both have completely different coats. Jessica, the angora cross's coat matts easily and becomes like felt- especially around the back end, Snowy has a much softer coat that tends to knot but is easier to keep. Mike does most of their grooming, while I do the indoor animals. He grooms them every other day and their coats are fine, if we miss any knots and they become big we cut them off. If left for a week or so- like when I was ill and Mike had all the animals to look after, they become really bad, we put them into the vets to be clipped.
The biggest problem is if they don't like being groomed, and the undersides, bum and feet can be difficult as they will tend to struggle more. Jessica can also get knots around her face, and obviously doesn't like being groomed there, so we end up cutting them off. The worst time is when they are moulting, it is amazing how much hair can come out of them.
Jessica can be prone to an upset tummy, so we watch them both even more carefully for flystrike and I tend to put 'rearguard' on if there are any dirty bums. I also worry about hair blockages, but so far this hasn't happened and Snowy is 4 and Jessica is 5.

No, I don't.
I forgot to add, heat can be more of a problem in the summer, and getting wet isn't good as they are hard to groom and can take quite a while to dry out, so a warm, wet summer can be a worry.:?

Good luck if you decide to get one. They sound like a lot of hard work!
I would advise using clippers rather than scissors, as I've lost count of the time we've had to stitch up a pet when an owner has slipped with the scissors xx

Good luck if you decide to get one. They sound like a lot of hard work!
I would advise using clippers rather than scissors, as I've lost count of the time we've had to stitch up a pet when an owner has slipped with the scissors xx

If you didn't want to buy clippers, surely you could find a decent dog groomers to do it?

from what I have read safety scissors should be used, the ones with a round bunted points, apparently clippers get clogged up very quickly with an angoras unique fur

Last edited:
from what I have ready safety scissors should be used, the ones with a round bunted edge, apparently clippers get clogged up very quickly with an angoras unique fur

i would agree, the fur is very fine, and clippers can be just as dangerous if you don't use them regularly. I feel I have much more control with scissors and hopefully you should never need to cut off many knots if you groom regularly.

Angora temperature requirements

So I live in B.C. and i just built my angora lionhead a pretty decent hutch, with an enclosure. I was just wondering what temperature is too cold for my bunny...:?

Back