• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

infertility problems with female rabbit

darcylouise93

Young Bun
Hi everyone

My school was giving their female dwarf lop rabbit away because she was infertile. She was really nice so I decided to adopt her. Apparently she's infertile because she has lumps all up her belly. She's not in any pain what so ever, and she's eating fine etc. She was kept next to male all the time while she was there. My stepmother says she's infertile because of the male and if she goes on a long spell she will be able to breed again.

Has anyone heard of these lumps before? Could they be cysts? Also, could the male have upset her cycle or something?

Sadly, they could be tumours, secondary to uterine tumours which may be why she is unable to breed.
The best thing for her would be to see a vet and if he agrees, to spay her before the tumours spread to her lungs. It may already be too late unfortunately :(
I realise your school probably breeds as part of sex education but I hope they also point out the importance of not breeding for fun, as this can lead to health problems and also many of the cute baby rabbits will end up unwanted in a rescue centre xx

these lumps are probebly mamery gland tumours, ie cancer. sadly unspayed does over age 3are highly suceptible to uterine cancer adn other reproductive cancers. you need a rabbit savvy vet. i would suggest that yes they would actually be painful but as rabbits are prey animals they hide pain relaly well i think it may now be too late to spay her. im sorry to hear your school breeds and they think rabbits have cycles.. rabbits are not like dogs and cats they do not have seasons, if they ahve bleeding from their vaginal area its almost always a sign of uterine cancer gone too far... usually a spayed female can live 8-12years happily with a amle companinon who is also neutered and lives together. im not sure of your school accomodation for the rabbits but they usually should have a minimum size of 5x2x2ft for a single rabbit and 6x2x2ft hutch for a pair...they then need a minimum of perment run of 6x6ft. hopefully one of your teachers cna aso join ru and learn a bit about bunnys too. sorry to hear she is so unwell i would speak to a rabbit savvy vet to see what they can do...the other horrible thought is it could be myxi? i know you are not allowed to vaccinate bunnys in oz due to pest control(whcih i personally think is horrible rule but i know not your fault) x

Last edited:
Its not anything to do with being near the buck, but as lilbun says, probably to do with illness.

I would suggest getting her vet checked ASAP.

How old is she?

Thankyou everyone for your advice. My high school looks after their rabbits extremely well because they have to follow health regulations. They breed for their agriculture course, but hey only breed them only about once or twice a year. I know the babies go to good home because they make sure of it, well what they can tell.

I think she's about 2 years old? I haven't personally felt the lumps, but the ag teachers and my step sister have (I don't want o hurt her). If I do feel lumps on her, what size, location of them, etc. should I look for to know if it's cancer?

The best thing would be to whisk her off to a vet so they can check them, and treat her if necessary xx

I too would say get her to the vet. Even just for a full check over.

Each rabbit problem can present in a different way so if we try and sggest too much, then we could be giving you complete misinformation because there are so many different reasons for lumps, so many causes, so many presentations, etc.

she does need to go to the vet. Firstly it is always a good idea to get any new rabbit you take in booked in, weighed and seen so that the vet can give you advice and monitor any changes in them when you next bring them in, which you will need to do 3 times a year for vacinations (mixi & VHD) - edit, just noticed that you are from oz & you are not allowed to vaccinate there.

Secondly she needs to go to the vet as if she is lumpy then that is a very good sign that there may be tumors or abcesses that need to be treated.

Thirdly if she is not already suffering from cancer the majority of unspayed does will develop it after a 2-3 years so she should be spayed to help prolong her life, therefore you need to book her in for the operation.

On a side note if she has never had kits, 2 years is really to late to begin & she may have more difficulty than a younger bun giving birth & if you are not an experienced rabbit owner it would not be a good idea to start with this bun.

Last edited:
Rabbits mammary tissue is very extensive. It goes from chest to groin and arm pit to arm pit so any lumps underneath could be related to it.

The other alternative would be abscesses but they aren't linked to infertility like uterine cancer is.

Back