• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emily has a lump under her belly :-(

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I had to pick up Emily (one of my Kirkby Rescue buns) this morning to give her some eye drops, and I felt a lump on her belly.

The lump is fully furred, covers quite a large area (about 3/4 inch wide) but doesn't really stick out. It doesn't feel hard like an abscess, but is definitely harder than the surrounding flesh. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all.

Emily is around 3 years old, and had been in rescue for over 2 years that I know of. She came to me because of a nasty injury to her eye, which has healed nicely, just leaving a 'pin-p.r.i.c.k' visible in her eye (vet says this is fine). She is grossly overweight, so is on a diet.

My first though was mammary tumour, hernia or just a fatty lump. Any other suggestions?

My first thought was Mammary tumour. I am assuming she's not spayed ?

No, she's not, and is too fat atm to spay :(

I didn't have time this morning to check proximity to her nipples, but would a mammary tumour be near the nipple?

I've got an appt at the vets tonight for a couple of my other buns, so I might take her instead of one of them.

No, she's not, and is too fat atm to spay :(

I didn't have time this morning to check proximity to her nipples, but would a mammary tumour be near the nipple?

I've got an appt at the vets tonight for a couple of my other buns, so I might take her instead of one of them.

The Frenchie I had who developed Mammary tumours had one large mass about 4cm from a nipple. On closer examination more tiny masses could be felt around the base of all her nipples. She (Victoria Meldrew) came to me aged about 3, unspayed. She was Xrayed and had a FBP before proceeding with a spay and a total mastectomy. She made a full recovery with no further metastatic disease :)

Is it central where her belly button would be if she had one? if so it could be an umbilical hernia.
Eta: if it is a hernia they can sort it out at the same time as her spay.

Last edited:
Could be something non sinister. I can't for the life of me remember the correct term or even words, but one of my unspayed does had a blocked tube by her nipple and it presented as a tumour and we got her booked in to get it bioposied, sorted, etc, and then 4 days later it completely disappeared and never came back (that was over two year ago- she is now spayed though obviously). So it could be something less scary that it presents as.

My first bunny had a lump too. Took her to the vet and he said it was a little hernia. Just decided to leave well alone and she lived to be 6 before dying of a heart attack. Try not to panic! Vibes to your bun.

Deb

Quick update on Emily...

The vet thinks that it's probably just a fatty lump near her belly button...so I'm feeling a bit :oops: :oops:

Back