• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay and Baytril?

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
Hiya ive got a couple of questions. Firstly both of my buns dont seem to eat much hay, Gizmo had a dental about 3 weeks ago and he is much better except i thought he may start eating hay but no. Daisy has also seemed to lost interest aswell. Ive tried putting timothy and meadow hay in their hay racks, cut up in veg, in their toilet! Nothing seems to work, Gizmo was eating some hay from Daisys hutch so i even put some of her hay in his hutch but he didnt touch it!:roll:
I bought some sample packs of hay form the hay experts and Gizmo likes the Orchard grass!! Woohoo! but Daisy isnt interested :?. I was wondering if their is anything else that i could try?
Secondly, Gizmo is only baytril injections for an absecess under in his teeth (which he had removed) and i saw on another post that you should give a probiotic if administering Baytril. He has been on it for about 3 weeks but only 3injections rest was syringe.

Sorry for the very long post! Have a tendency to rabbit on!!:oops:

How much pellets are you feeding? If you are feeding to many they won't be hungry and won't want to eat hay. The favourite hay in my house is Burns Green Oat Hay all four buns love it.

Ive changed their pellets to science selective which they love but i give them an egg cupful in the morning with maybe some dandelion and herbs then in the evening i give veg with either readigrass mixed in or hay chopped up and mixed in, to try and encourage them. They also have hay all the time in their hay rack incase they do decide they want some. They are out in the garden as much as poss and eat the grass.

Amber didn't want to know hay and i tried everything and all sort of different hays. She now happily eats it now she has a husbun!

Other than the pellet suggestion:

Have you tried just putting a very small amount in the hay rack instead of filling it up? May sound odd but it can work for some reason.

Also, put some piles of hay in different places in the hutch including where they poo. Amber likes to munch and poo and the same time (even girlybuns can multi-task!)

Have you tried he Naturals or Excel range of dried herbs such as Dandelion Delight? These may help bun get used to hay type things again.

Ive tried putting it in their toilet area and they dont seem interested. Ive got some dandelion delight but they just pick it out!!:roll: Will try putting a small amount in their hay racks and see what happens.
I havnt bonded them yet, they are together in the garden but have separate hutches having my girlie spayed in about 3wks maybe they might do the same as your girlie bun! :love:

If they are not eating hay it is worth hunting for a source of good fibrous long wild grass collected somewhere away from roads, dogs and wild rabbits. Mine share a large carrierbag full of this everyday. They love it!

Thanks lilbun is that the thick blades of grass?! Sorry being dumb!:oops: Ive got a nature reserve near me they have wild buns but not everywhere would grass from there be ok?

Yes, the thick stuff. Where I collect it it grows about 4 feet high.
It needs to be collected well away from wild rabbits because of the risk of picking up a flea or other insect carrying myxi, and you should make sure yours are vaccinated every 6 months for the same reason. I collect my from a wild area of a local park, where it grows too long and lush for dog walkers to wade through, and there are no rabbits on the park to the best of my knowledge :)

Tihink its best i have a wander around my area and have a look dont wanna risk it. I have them both vacinnated every 6 months as we are pretty close to the countryside. Thanks for your info. :D

Back