• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anaesthetic and rabbits

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
Crystal needs roughly 4 dentals a year shes placed under anaesthetic everytime the last 2 times shes been under its taken a while for her to recover from it whereas last year she was up and about quickly and stuffing her face the second she woke up.

the more times rabbits go under does it take longer to recover? im just scared that one day she might not wake up maybe its time i contact teh vet that does them when their awake?

Crystal needs roughly 4 dentals a year shes placed under anaesthetic everytime the last 2 times shes been under its taken a while for her to recover from it whereas last year she was up and about quickly and stuffing her face the second she woke up.

the more times rabbits go under does it take longer to recover? im just scared that one day she might not wake up maybe its time i contact teh vet that does them when their awake?

thousands of perfectly healthy pets are destroyed in the UK every year, simply because they have no home. Unwanted and alone, these animals are put to sleep for no reason other then the fact nobody loves them.

I don't know about the anaesthetic, but can I just say that bit on your siggi is so sad but true :(

Have you talked to your vet about the slowing recovery?

I wonder if the metabolism is slower and so is processing the GA slower and so recovering slower. Maybe she needs less anaesthetic now, to get the same result as previously.

When Dusk came round from his dental in April he was horribly staggery and took 3 days to recover, yet after his neuter he bounced back super quick. When he had his dental in July I discussed with the vet about the slow recovery and so he gave less anaesthetic and it still has the same effect. His recovery only too 1.5days that time. Next time hopefully they can adjust it further and his recovery time will be even quicker.

it was the vet who told me and im now bringing home meds aswell pain releif and the recovery powder stuff that turns into food for seringe feeding shes booked in for an appointment on monday as i think shes ready for another dental will speak with my vet then and get his opinion on whether its time to contact the vet who does them awake.

Crystal is 4 1/2 now so shes a middle aged bun i just thought that by the time she was ready for the awake dentals she'd be about 6/7 as thats when she'd be going into old age :?

My dental bun is 7 years old and has always took time to recover, shes had dentals from approximately 7 months old. Shes normally running around fine by the next day, but wont eat, and usually involves force feeding and fibreplex for 3 days after. However, strangely, she had a dental and spay at the same time about 2 months ago and she started eating on her own that night, so i wasted money on buying everything! Ironically, I was trying to save time and money by getting it in and not having to take her back the next day, typical:lol:

By recovering from it, what do you mean? Do you mean simply eating, or is the bun more drowsy and doesnt move as much? I keep my bun in the house for at least 2 days after her dentals, after the op shes colder so being in the house keeps her warm, active and i can keep an eye on her.

I didnt know they did dentals awake, but thatll never be possible for mine, its hard enough for the vets to just check her back teeth let alone cut them!

Thumper is 4 years old, wt. 3 kilo - needs dentals for tiny lower molar spurs about every 2 1/2 months. He doesn't get mouth ulcers. Assessed 11.00am, "round & eating"1.00pm, home 4.00pm, completely normal & running around. He always has metacam for the next 48hrs.
I think it's a question of anaesthetic technique. Perhaps you could discuss this with your vet.

Also, what kind of anesthetic is being used? I'm pretty sure isoflurane is the standard for rabbits, but I've heard that sevoflurane has a quicker recovery time. They used that on Eddison when he was neutered, and he came 'round pretty quick.

im not sure what aneasthetic is used to be honest :? I will have a discusion with my vet on monday as i suppose hes teh only one who can answer all these questions for me :)

im not sure what aneasthetic is used to be honest :? I will have a discussion with my vet on monday as i suppose hes the only one who can answer all these questions for me :)

That's seriously what this forum does to me. It just arms me with questions for my vet! Poor Dr. Mitchell. :lol:

Back