• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panacur / EC /?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Autumn died almost 2 weeks ago and since then I have had the rabbits (including my new one) on Panacur, as I suspected EC, dispite her only symptom, up until the day she died, being weight loss.

I phoned the vets to explain that Charlie had vastly improved, putting weight on, much more active etc., and asked should I continue? with 28 days.

Reply was that as he has shown not neurological signs of EC that I should not continue with the panacur, but treat 2-4 times a year. Thing is Autumn never showed neurological signs until the day she died (or I didn't pick up on any :( )

As there were no neurological signs in Autumn, do you think it could have been something else?

What was it about Autumn's death that made you think it was EC? Sorry if you have to relive it again, I just don't know what happened, sorry.

If you feel better having them all on Panacur then it won't harm them.

She was fine the days before, although had lost a lot of weight, but I put that down to being in a 4some and not getting enough food. So upped the food :(

The evening she died, She didn't come to the front and I had to call her, which isn't normal. When I picked her up her eyes rolled, then her head. I brought her inside, and rang the emergency vet, who asked about flystrike, I knew it wasn't that, and said so. By this time she was on the tiles in the kitchen and couldn't keep her legs under her, and wouldn't hop, so I knew something was up. But she was eating

I phoned OH mum, but she was out, so we had to wait for a lift to the vets. While waiting, she kept on head rolling, and going in and out of consciousness. In the car she had head tilt, and was fitting/rolling/writhing. We never made it to the vets.

No, I did phone the vets the next day, but they never suggested one, and I never though to ask, my beloved bunny had died in my arms, all I wanted to do was grieve.

Yeh, I completely understand that. That would be horrific for anyone. I too would not have got a necropsy either. Sorry, I was just trying to understand to situation.

EC is vastly misunderstood a lot of the time, so there is every possibility that she didn't have it at all, but maybe that something else went on for her. I just didn't want to say that if you had conclusive proof that it was EC-hence why I asked, sorry.

With regards to treatment, you won't lose anything by doing it at all.

Thanks, I completely understand where you are coming from, I did get one on Princess, but just didn't think this time.

My main concern is that Charlie was going the same way, and I don't want to take him off it,as it could set him back. I don't want to take the others off it, incase they are spreading it between themselves.

if you are half way through the course why stop. I'd continue then you know they are clear..remember to completley disinfect all areas bowls toys etc on the 21st day of course and 28th day..this helps to eliminate any spores shed

Back