• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Advice on Bedding for Sore Hocks!

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Im not sure what to do with Fudge. She is in a Ferplast Rabbit 120 that is filled with thick straw and hay and she has an attatched NIC cage that has 4 blankets on the bottom and her litter tray filled with megazorb and a layer of hay.

Her hocks havent changed at all and are still red but not got broken skin thank goodness :D

Trying to clean her cage is a complete nightmare and it takes 1 1/2 every second day to scrub it all down :roll:

Ive been thinking about putting her back in her NIC cage with the levels and just have piles of blankets everywhere and 2 litter trays with megazorb and hay......

OR

Keep her in the cage she is in now and instead of thick straw/hay layer megazorb on the bottom of the cage and have a litter tray filled with hay. It would be quicker and easier to clean but would megazorb have the same effect of comfort on her hocks?

The cage she is in now has more length than her NIC cage but her NIC cage had a few levels so im not sure whats best for her!

Would megazorb be ok for her hocks? and whats better for a rabbit, Lenght or Levels in a cage which means more jumping?

Any help would be appreciated :wave::wave::wave:

P.S Just realised this is in General Chat not Rabbit chat Whoopies :oops::oops::lol:

Last edited:
In my experience with our severly sore-hocked foster bun, he found megazorb was not cushioning enough to his feet and avoided it like the plague. It took strips of vet bed on top of the megazorb in his litter tray to get him to use his litter tray at all and to avoid risks of scald making condition worse from sitting on his blankets that he had just peed on. As his hocks improved he was able to tolerate just megazorb in his litter tray better. He could barely stand or sit on his feet when we took him (all four were affected along the entire length) and therefore his reaction to megazorb may have been just him and the narrow width of his foot and long toes being part Belgian hare.

As to size of cage? I personally rate the importance of exercise and space to move around to limit the time spent 'resting on the hocks' due to confinement, and would therefore say re. cage that the bigger the better - certainly length wise. However, all rabbits need to be able to periscope without their ears touching the ceiling of their hutch/cage.

My Buffy is begining to develope sore hocks too. she is incontinence due to EC, and she had a tendency sitting in her own pee.

But her syptoms have improved recently after another treatment of Panacur. She used the litter box this morning for a long while.:p

I kept her in the cage at night covered with a vet bed, its alot softer than on the carpets and it keep her dry.

i tried bandageing her hocks but it gets soaked so quickly, now i just left it and try to keep her as dry as possible and give her a gentle push after she did her pee.

Hope your bunny gets better soon.

Back