PDA

View Full Version : Wild or part wild buns needing a home?

abbymarysmokey
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking about getting a male wild or half wild rabbit as a companion for my young female wildie.

Anybody know of any looking for a home?

Or failing that...anybody know of any small, VERY lively, young male domestic buns (around 4-6 months old) looking for a home?

DemiS
03-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm thinking about getting a male wild or half wild rabbit as a companion for my young female wildie.

Or failing that...anybody know of any small, VERY lively, young male domestic buns (around 4-6 months old) looking for a home?

I know Polish are usually VERY lively buns, but most are also very nippy

abbymarysmokey
03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I know Polish are usually VERY lively buns, but most are also very nippy

Good idea!...That's about the size I'm looking for :D

*Spider*
03-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I have some Polish X babies here.
They are very very small as they were taken from Mummy at 5 weeks :(
I have 2 sealpoints, 1 chinchilla and a REW up for adoption after they're neutered :(
Will post some picture in a seperate thread if you're interested.

CottonMather
03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
you have to get Colin Cupcake! Colin Cupcake and Freddy Fruitcake! :lol:
Jill was just saying today that she thinks he is part wild :D
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=191879

honeybunny
03-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Yep little Colin-cupcake was neutered yesterday
Although black he has some agouti shading in his coat..and he needs a partner to learn how to be a bunny
He was reserved but sadly the homecheck didn't go well:(

abbymarysmokey
03-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I have some Polish X babies here.
They are very very small as they were taken from Mummy at 5 weeks :(
I have 2 sealpoints, 1 chinchilla and a REW up for adoption after they're neutered :(
Will post some picture in a seperate thread if you're interested.

Pics and info would be great, thanks :wave: :)

abbymarysmokey
03-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Yep little Colin-cupcake was neutered yesterday
Although black he has some agouti shading in his coat..and he needs a partner to learn how to be a bunny
He was reserved but sadly the homecheck didn't go well:(

Can you give me a bit more info on his personality?

Ta muchly

louise and Gus
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I know Caroline at the Rabbit Residence had some gorgeous half wildie babies a little while ago?

http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/

jazzywoo
03-09-2009, 02:28 PM

where you thinking of getting a wild bunny from ? :?wild bunnies belong in the wild and also you have no chance of bonding a wild bunnie although wild bunnies live in groups for safety they dont live together they each have their own space in the warren and will kill any other rabbit that goes into their space thats also why people sometimes have problems bonding rabbits as they dont naturally bond and live together in that way
i would not advise a polish they are nasty little things and do attack
mini lops are a small breed nethies do not natrally bond they tend to just want to kill each other ! you best with a lop breed as they are very laid back and bond quite easy

Hugo's There
03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
where you thinking of getting a wild bunny from ? :?wild bunnies belong in the wild and also you have no chance of bonding awild bunnie although wild bunnies live in groups for safty they dont live together they each have their own space in the warren and will kill any other rabbit that goes intotheir space thats also why people sometimes have problems bonding rabbits as they dont naturally bond and live together in that way
mini lopsare a small breed nethies do not natrally bond they tend to just want to kill each other ! you best with a lop breed as they are very laid back and bond quite easy

I've never had a problem bonding nethies :?

DemiS
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
where you thinking of getting a wild bunny from ? :?wild bunnies belong in the wild and also you have no chance of bonding awild bunnie although wild bunnies live in groups for safty they dont live together they each have their own space in the warren and will kill any other rabbit that goes intotheir space thats also why people sometimes have problems bonding rabbits as they dont naturally bond and live together in that way
mini lopsare a small breed nethies do not natrally bond they tend to just want to kill each other ! you best with a lop breed as they are very laid back and bond quite easy

Rescues often have wildies that have been hand reared from birth, I think this is what she means, not actuall rabbits from the wild :lol:

CottonMather
03-09-2009, 02:40 PM

a lot of what you've said isn't true :shock:
I know hand reared wild rabbits that have bonded fine... and nethies... and polish...

*Spider*
03-09-2009, 02:46 PM

It's funny how I have 7 Polish fosters here and they have never attacked me once. Infact Angel is extremely timid and has let me handle her 2 babies since birth.
Whisper even gave Sarah Jane a little groom yesterday.

TeflonsShadow
03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
This one is called 'wild child' but shes had her back leg amputated:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=16763

(she is a wildy)

DemiS
03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
It's funny how I have 6 polish fosters here and they have never attacked me once. Infact Angel is extremely timid and has let me handle her 2 babies since birth.
Whisper even gave Sarah Jane a little groom yesterday.

I think the ones Jazzywoo has encountered have been Show Polish, and I agree some of these are just plain aggressive.

jazzywoo
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I think the ones Jazzywoo has encountered have been Show Polish, and I agree some of these are just plain aggressive.

oh yes never come across a nice one yet lol even polish breeders do not reconmend them as pets they put it as spirited but it just means watch your fingers :lol:
we show nethies and they are imposile to bond they just lunge at each other like with all bred there are exceptions and yes some will bond however not all will bond

*Spider*
03-09-2009, 02:56 PM
oh yes never come acros a nice one yet lol even polish breeders do not reconmend them as pets they put it as spirited but it just means watch your fingers :lol:
we show nethies and they are imposile to bond they just lunge at each other like with all bred there are exceptions and yes some will bond however not all will bond

Are they neutered by any chance? :roll:

jazzywoo
03-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Are they neutered by any chance? :roll:

they are show rabbits so no they are not neutered
you dont have to neuter rabbits to bond them i have many bonded pairs that are not neutered and no they are not mixed sexes :roll:

prettylupin
03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
although wild bunnies live in groups for safety they dont live together they each have their own space in the warren and will kill any other rabbit that goes into their space thats also why people sometimes have problems bonding rabbits as they dont naturally bond and live together in that way

In the wild rabbits actually do share their burrows and tend to live in pairs, male with female, in the adult part of their lives. Some live in groups in burrows, and others lives in pairs. It tends to only be the young batchelor males who often live on the surface, under scrub and bushes, and use burrows for bolting and safety rather than actually living in. Due to competition these batchelor males will often live alone as part of the 'warren group'. This is just a little something I picked up off Dr Anne McBride when she paid a visit to our house.... she has spent a great deal of her professional life studying rabbits in the wild in their native Spain. :)

abbymarysmokey
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
where you thinking of getting a wild bunny from ? :?wild bunnies belong in the wild and also you have no chance of bonding a wild bunnie although wild bunnies live in groups for safety they dont live together they each have their own space in the warren and will kill any other rabbit that goes into their space thats also why people sometimes have problems bonding rabbits as they dont naturally bond and live together in that way

I meant a hand-reared wild rabbit. Llitters of baby wildies get handed into rescues quite often...usually because a nest has been accidentally disturbed.

My little wildie is fine around other rabbits. She's met a couple of my male rabbits when they've been in the house, but she's a bit too lively for them. She was scared of other rabbits at first because she's been hand-reared on her own and hadn't seen another rabbit since she was a very tiny baby...but she soon realised that they wouldn't hurt her, and is quite fascinated with other rabbits now! :)

jazzywoo
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
I meant a hand-reared wild rabbit. Llitters of baby wildies get handed into rescues quite often...usually because a nest has been accidentally disturbed.

My little wildie is fine around other rabbits. She's met a couple of my male rabbits when they've been in the house, but she's a bit too lively for them. She was scared of other rabbits at first because she's been hand-reared on her own and hadn't seen another rabbit since she was a very tiny baby...but she soon realised that they wouldn't hurt her, and is quite fascinated with other rabbits now! :)
aww would love to see photos

*Spider*
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I think Frosty would love to live with her.
Just been out to tell them that I know they're not evil and Frosty is STILL binkying.
He's such a live wire!
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/KingHetty/Darlingzzz112.jpg
He has beautiful blue eyesies too!

Sky-O
03-09-2009, 03:54 PM
We have a group of 6 wild X buns at our centre. They would have to go as a group though. Think that might be a bit ambitious.

TeflonsShadow
03-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Have you got Winter there as well..?

My how they have grown :love:

I think Frosty would love to live with her.
Just been out to tell them that I know they're not evil and Frosty is STILL binkying.
He's such a live wire!
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/KingHetty/Darlingzzz112.jpg
He has beautiful blue eyesies too!

abbymarysmokey
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Here you go...

Photo of little Freddie Fruitcake at 13 weeks old:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/domgourlay/Alien/IMG_0197.jpg

6 weeks old:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/domgourlay/Alien/DSCF0751.jpg

5 weeks old:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/domgourlay/Alien/DSCF0711.jpg

I do have some of her as a very tiny baby (I've had her from about 7 days old) but I'm not sure where they are atm

honeybunny
03-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Freddie Fruitcake has to be meant for Colin-cupcake!:lol:
Colin can be lively when he thinks you're not looking..will come up to you and explore all over your legs for food..not keen on being picked up but once is held is ok
He was tiny when found..not sure how he survived on his own as was seen around for 3 days..unless of course that was siblings of his :?
He definately needs to find a home ASAP with a small doe, preferably young, so they can speed around together

BeatrixPotter
03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I am pretty sure that my Posy is a wildie cross. Helen, The Duchess, and my vets agree. She is very lively and lots of fun but she bonded very, very easily with Peter. He was a very calm and laid back bun until she taught him to be lively too! No problems with them at all.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/BeatrixPotter_photo/LeoLilaPeterandPosy004.jpg

kim 106
04-09-2009, 07:13 AM
oh yes never come across a nice one yet lol even polish breeders do not reconmend them as pets they put it as spirited but it just means watch your fingers :lol:

never had problems with nethies my self in fact tinas getting spayed soon then will need a husbun

Amy104
04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
they are show rabbits so no they are not neutered

I think this is where your problem is then. It doesn't matter what breed a rabbit it, trying to bond unneutered rabbits is always going to be difficult.

*Spider*
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Have you got Winter there as well..?

My how they have grown :love:

Yes Winter is here :)

Tamsin
04-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Sorry but that's wrong! Wild rabbits live in small family groups. They are aggressive towards rabbits not in their family group though which is why bonding is difficult. Wild rabbits grow up in a group or move groups as juveniles before reaching sexual maturity. They also have a choice of many groups so if one rabbit dislikes them they just don't join that group.

Fights to the death are extremely rare as rabbits size each other up and one will usually flee before a fight develops. If they do fight over territory then a fight usually ends with one rabbit chasing the other away.

In a domestic setting we pick two random adult rabbits and put them in an enclosed space. This would never happen in the wild and is why bonding can sometimes be difficult.

Female and male rabbits each form a heriachy with the social group which is why bonding male to male and female to female is even more difficult.

Wild rabbits behaviour is very similar to pet rabbits and there is no reason why they can't interact with other rabbits even in a domestic setting. I know at least one person with a bonded pair of one wild and one domestic. Several people with groups of hand reared wild rabbits and my own wild rabbit spends time every day interacting with my domestic rabbit.

halfpenny
04-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Just to back up Tamsin, I also had a wild rabbit male (castrated) with 2 dwarf lop females, they were very happy together and lived as a family group.

It is quite uncommon for any species of animal to fight to the death with its own kind- its not a practical thing to do, and many species even try to avoid fighting at all by using posturing and display.
Fighting to the death is actually more common in 'organised, domestic' situations like **** fighting and dog fighting, where they cannot escape from each other and often have been bred and trained to be aggressive.

Beatrix Potter
08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
mini lops are a small breed nethies do not natrally bond they tend to just want to kill each other ! you best with a lop breed as they are very laid back and bond quite easy

I have a hand reared wild bunny who I successfully bonded with Squirrel over a year ago. They absolutely adored each other but sadly I lost Squirrel yesterday. :cry:

Amy104
08-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm sorry for you loss Suzynick. :(

Beatrix Potter
08-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm sorry for you loss Suzynick. :(

Thanks Amy :)