• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One rabbit, 2 or more?

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
If you know you could afford to give good care to only 1 rabbit ie good accomodation, food and vet care, should you give a home to a single rabbit or would it be selfish to only have the 1 when the general consensus is that rabbits need companions?

It got me thinking about this knowing how much the vets bills have been over the past few months. In an ideal world all rabbits would have a friend but it does of course mean double cost of everything.

But would denying a solo rabbit a good home with everything for a life of months or more in rescue be a the right decision?

Just interested to hear everyones views.

I think if I could definitely only have one rabbit, I'd specifically ask a rescue for a rabbit who couldn't be paired up for whatever reason...some rabbits just won't tolerate other rabbits, some have snuffles and can't be risked around other rabbits, etc.

I think if I could definitely only have one rabbit, I'd specifically ask a rescue for a rabbit who couldn't be paired up for whatever reason...some rabbits just won't tolerate other rabbits, some have snuffles and can't be risked around other rabbits, etc.

Same here and keep the bun as a house rabbit so it got lots of attention

Ditto again :wave: (or is 'Tritto' a realword? :lol: ) I've had a solo-only rescue bun. They still make beautiful pets just as much as a pair, although having all their attention is on you is a bonus ;)

i'm having this quandry atm. i would really like to have a 2nd bun for eric, even tho he seems perfectly happy (he gets a lot of human company) but in the back of my mind, i'm worried about the cost of vet bills for another bun too as eric has cost me a fortune since i've had him to get him well again (worth every penny tho:D).

Im sort of torn between the 2 because we have always had 2 bunnies together or more! But i do think it is different with house buns, i just think you can never ALWAYS be there for your bun, nightime/when your out et.c so i think its better to have another bun so they can snuggle up and for company is good.

Im sort of torn between the 2 because we have always had 2 bunnies together or more! But i do think it is different with house buns, i just think you can never ALWAYS be there for your bun, nightime/when your out et.c so i think its better to have another bun so they can snuggle up and for company is good.

its nighttime that bothers me (i'm at home most of each day) but when i say nite nite to eric and he lies under the table, i feel awful:(

its nighttime that bothers me (i'm at home most of each day) but when i say nite nite to eric and he lies under the table, i feel awful:(

Yeah thats what i mean, when i watch my two when they snuggle and fall to sleep together :love: it makes me think how i could never just have the 1 :? the bond my two have got is unseperable now!

Any remember bunnies are "pack" animals ;)

This is true that they might get lonely at night/when you're out, and they are 'pack' creatures in the wild yes, but there do still exist rabbits in rescue centres that simply will not bond with other rabbits :? There have to be solo-homes somewhere for these bunnies, they can't stay solo in rescues for their whole lives as they'd get a lot less attention than they would as a solo housebun with owners around most of the time...

Sorry ~ I am a little defensive of keeping solo buns when they have social issues ;)

I don't think its selfish to keep only one bun if you know that the care could potentiaaly suffer if you had another (such aswith finances, etc., which is what you seem to be saying).

Plenty of single buns are happy and do fine as single buns.

This is true that they might get lonely at night/when you're out, and they are 'pack' creatures in the wild yes, but there do still exist rabbits in rescue centres that simply will not bond with other rabbits :? There have to be solo-homes somewhere for these bunnies, they can't stay solo in rescues for their whole lives as they'd get a lot less attention than they would as a solo housebun with owners around most of the time...

Sorry ~ I am a little defensive of keeping solo buns when they have social issues ;)

Im not saying that ALL rabbits should be kept in pairs or more, because i know that is not always possible. But after seeing my two groom each other, play together, cuddle and sleep together, unless there was a valid reason with the buns i would HAVE to try and bond them, rather than keep them has solo's if that makes sense. At the end of the day most bunnies will bond, (the younger the better) so i would rather give it a go than not bother at all.

So, if you couldn't find a solo unbondable rabbit in rescue, and you really wanted a rabbit, but could only afford one, would you forego your wish to have a rabbit?

Would rescues rather single rabbits stay in rescue for maybe months or even years or go to a home as a single rabbit where they would have the best of everything but not a mate?

This is purely hypothetical by the way! Just something that got me thinking :D

So, if you couldn't find a solo unbondable rabbit in rescue, and you really wanted a rabbit, but could only afford one, would you forego your wish to have a rabbit?

Would rescues rather single rabbits stay in rescue for maybe months or even years or go to a home as a single rabbit where they would have the best of everything but not a mate?

I am currently looking after a bun for a Rescue - she's had a couple of failed bondings - she's lovely & friendly to humans, but so far hasn't tolerated other buns. I think in her situation, & if a bun has always lived alone, a lot of Rescues will home individually, to live as an indoor bun.:D

Umm difficult one :lol:
If i honestly could not afford the two bunnies i would either wait until i know i could afford 2 bunnies or not have any at all :oops:
But then i am someone who has-
A - never had a solo bun
B - Never had a house bun
So my view is a very biased view :lol:

I am currently looking after a bun for a Rescue - she's had a couple of failed bondings - she's lovely & friendly to humans, but so far hasn't tolerated other buns. I think in her situation, & if a bun has always lived alone, a lot of Rescues will home individually, to live as an indoor bun.:D

Yes i agree with that, but she has been given the chance to bond with another rabbit :D which i think is brilliant :D

Duracell has the most beautiful English Spot in at rescue.
Her name is Gracie and she has failed to bond severel times so they want a home as a single house bun.
I would love an English Spot and was so tempted to try and bond her.

Are you torturing yourself? It sounds a bit like you are.

"Plenty of single buns are happy and do fine as single buns."

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. There are plenty of "happy single fine people" but given the choice would rather be in a relationship, just haven't met the right one yet. Rabbits are generally sociable creatures and by assuming they are happy alone I think you are denying them the chance to enjoy company which would actually benefit them.

Like with people tho there are rabbits who would prefer to be the only bun in their little world and we have rehomed a couple now but they are very few and far between. So for someone who could only afford to keep one bun I would agree with what has been said before and check round rescue centres for a bun who would like a home as a solo bun and give them a loving home.

"Plenty of single buns are happy and do fine as single buns."

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. There are plenty of "happy single fine people" but given the choice would rather be in a relationship, just haven't met the right one yet. Rabbits are generally sociable creatures and by assuming they are happy alone I think you are denying them the chance to enjoy company which would actually benefit them.

Like with people tho there are rabbits who would prefer to be the only bun in their little world and we have rehomed a couple now but they are very few and far between. So for someone who could only afford to keep one bun I would agree with what has been said before and check round rescue centres for a bun who would like a home as a solo bun and give them a loving home.

Took the words out of my mouth :D

Back