• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on indoor cage upgrade please :o)

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I am finally going to attempt to bond Hugo & Phoebe An and wanted some advice on their new marital home. I was looking at getting a ferplast rabbit 140 and wanted everyones opinion on weather it would be suitable? Bearing in mind they will be free ranging all day and will only spend about 6 hours a night actually shut in it -it will basically be used as a bed as a pose to a home they are in throughout the day. I've looked at dog crates but am not keen on the idea as Phoebe An has yet to master using a potty & I really don't want wee all over the floor (the trays in crates are really shallow & she aims her bum right out the side :roll:) I've measured the ferplast rabbit 140 and it seems an ok size - I think, but I'm not sure :? Hugo is a smallish lop & Phoebe An is a small dutch. I haven't actually bought this cage, so please no being mean if you think it isn't suitable!

:wave:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/42416

I personally think it is very expensive for what you get and not big enough. In particular I think it's not tall enough.
I take your point about dog crate trays being to shallow though. Maybe you could find some way of boxing in the sides, or if you are very clever you could make a tray from clear acylic sheets and fish tank glue.
Otherwise try a deeper litter tray such as an underbed storage box so it's harder for her to wee over the edge.
I would also get an offcut of lino to go on the floor incase or 'spillages' xx

for me it wuld be a no its not hght enougth and theres no dor on the side for buns to hop in and out of

Kris (Starlight's Rabbit Rescue) has load of these for sale if you want to get a cheap one.

You could easily get some stuff put around the side of the dog crate! (like the clear plastic stuff) :D I think dog crates are great and there so easy to personalise.
I've seen some fab C&C cages to!

I do have that indoor cage which I had for Honey in the shed not being used now. The only thing I would say is its really hard to clean the bottom of it.

I dont think they are big enough to be honest. They couldnt stand up or haven a run about in a space that small.

Indoor cage- opinions please -possibly for sale!

Hi
I think this is the one in your link that my bunnies are in. I tried my Rex rabbit , Shadow free-range in the house and she was fine for about a year and then started to eat my NEW furniture!

We had the house extended and then had Shadow bonded with a Dutch called Davey.

They now share this indoor cage and are let out daily for a play. Shadow litter trained within a week but Davey still poos and wees EVERYWHERE and anywhere so am less confident with him.

The cage is big enough for a large rectangular litter tray and they are happy to go in together.

As they are now taking up the ENTIRE front room, which is badly in need of repair, we are thinking of putting them in an outside hutch.

As we want to do it ASAP we may well have a cage for sale!

Also has anyone got any htoughtson this large outdoor hutch and run??
It's a chicken coop but says it can be used for rabbits.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHICKEN-COOP-...ltry?hash=item2302748bcf&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Many thanks

Last edited:
Back