• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc *on ronoxan tablets now*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
bisc seems thinner at the minute. i could never feel his spine that much before, and now i can actually feel the bumps along the spine.

also, because he had a gas/nearly stasis very recently, i have been checking him over and noticed his ribs seem more obvious now. i never noticed them before.

he did used to be a bit over weight, as did matt. but then they lost weight when i moved in my house and they have loads more exercise etc.

last time at the vets, bisc was weighed and was his lowest weight ever, he was 2.19kg, down from 2.3kg not long before that. he has also been 2.2kg aswell. so although this weight of 2.19kg isn't too far away from the other weights, i was still a bit worried, although the vet didn't seem to think there was any problem.

in the last month and a half or so, bisc has had two cystitis type infections and then just got through a bad gas episode. he did nearly stop eating. he greatly reduced what he was eating, and as they hide illness, i'm wondering if this has made him loose weight. and also, the stress of having the two cystitis type infections?

lately, because of the tum troubles, he has just been having hay, and then herbs soaked in water for hydration.

how quickly can they lose weight?

to look at him, he doesn't look too thin. but then at the same time, his spine and ribs are more obvious to me. :?

maybe with them being over weight in the past i just think they look too thin now???

i think biscs ideal weight is 2.2 - 2.3kg. he looks fantastic at this weight. matt has always been a bit heavier and he has a different build and looks better slightly bigger at 2.3 - 2.4kg. he is 2.3kg at the minute. he went down in weight to 2.19kg when he was struggling with his uri and he looked too thin for him. his spine was obvious then aswell, although i haven't ever noticed his ribs. that's why bisc is making me a bit nervous. :?

sorry for the long post, just thinking out loud. is there a way to put some weight back on bisc, just a little bit?

Last edited:
It may just be that as he has had several bouts of health trouble recently his calorie intake hasn't been sufficient but I would have a chat with your vet about maybe having some blood tests done to check everything is working as it should, particularly with his recurring cystitis.
Is he weeing/drinking normally now?
Does he eat anything other than hay and herbs?

do they have to have a ga for bloods? and what can it tell me? how everything is working?

because of his tum being off, he was just having hay and then i was tempting him to eat more with herbs and wet them to keep him hydrated aswell.

i cut out the pellets and veg at this time, so he would be getting lots of fibre.

he is fussy with trying new things, and unfortunately, he likes all the gassy things, and carrot aswell.

i've had problems with both bisc and matt getting dodgy tums from trying new things. even when it has been introduced really slowly. matt will try things, bisc won't.

yes, he is weeing and drinking normally now.

they are both on excel pellets. i haven't had any problems with them, but now biscs poop is quite soft. i'm still on the old bags of the excel. do you think it would be worth changing them to another pellet?

veg bisc eats -

carrots - his fav but obv can't have too much.
spring greens - he has trouble with too much of these though.
savoy cabbage - likes this but it's gassy
broccoli - likes this but gassy
parsley - he eats this but can't have too much because of the calcium
thyme - sometimes he will eat this, depends what mood he is in!

he won't try anything though. and i'm scared of trying new things as i don't know what is going to upset their tums. i want to get them onto more herbs and natural things, but everytime i try to introduce something new, either they won't try it, or they get upset tums.

what is the best thing to do now with regards to his diet, after this dodgy tum episode? his poops did go back to normal, so then i started with his veg again, and pellets, not the gassy things though, and now his poops are soft and darker than they should be. they are ok in size, although there are some 'pear' shaped ones aswell, but definitely too dark and too soft.

maybe i have given the pellets and veg too soon after this, and his tum hasn't yet got fully back to normal?

The blood tests would be done without anaesthetic. A nurse simple holds the rabbit whilst the vet or another nurse takes a couple of mls of blood from either the ear vein, jugular or leg.
What the tests show depend on which tests are run but typically will include checks on the liver and kidneys, electrolyte balance and haematology which will show up things like anaemia, dehydration, infection.
Hopefully in his case they will reveal nothing abnormal.
They can double check his weight at the same time and then you can start looking at ways to bulk him up a bit.
If you decide to change him pellets, do it very gradually and consider using a probiotic at the same time to help his guts while you change. SS would be a good first choice.
I'm hesitant to suggest different foods for him to try because of his gut issues. Whatever you try just offer a leaf or so to start with and see he they react.
Mine eat lots of grass, fruit leaves, dandelion leaves, spring greens etc but they are used to them and have them daily.

just before this gas/stasis episode, he had had one leaf of basil.

i'm ringing the vets in a minute to get an appointment. something isn't right, i know it.

I hope they can put your mind at rest xx
Eta: if you do get blood tests done bear in mind that if they don't reveal anything that is good news - sometimes hard to remember when you are paying for tests that haven't revealed anything xx

Last edited:
he's doing loads of poops now, but anywhere he wants. he always uses the tray. he is still going to the tray to wee though.

the poops have a slightly 'damp' (?) feel to them aswell. not like caecotrops, but just soft, and they stink aswell. just felt his tum and it feels ok, just gurgling a bit again.

they just don't seem to be healthy. whatever i do, they just have problems...and more problems. :cry::cry::cry:

yeh, they have to have it everyday. i've got the first appointment with the vet i see when he gets in this afternoon. 2.10pm.

i can't stop crying. i just don't know what to do anymore. they never seem to be ok. :cry::cry::cry:

do you know what, i have a funny feeling it is his teeth you know. he seems to be chewing slower. that would mean less food and a slow down of his gut that he had?

they have the avipro plus one.

a worry is an understatement! my poor babies, they don't seem to have much luck health wise. :cry:

Teeth problems are often a trigger for gut problems but I'm sure the vet will check them today (if not ask them to).

will do. just check everything. poor biscy. can't be doing with waiting around for the vets now! can't wait to get there.

By the way,the probiotic I linked to contains fibre as well so might be of added benefit xx

Maybe. See what your vet thinks (I'm sure they'll be happy to order it for you if they think its a good idea) xx

Back