• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Myxi Rabbits

GBNI

Warren Scout
How do you deal with them? We 'despatch' of any we find as to leave them suffering wouldn't be right. Luckily, even though we have a lot of wildies in the area, myxi doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Friend reckons we are cruel for doing this, but I can't leave them to suffer :( :cry:

I caught a myxi bun and carried it for many hours, couldn't find an open vets so had to call a wildlife place to collect it. It was late stages and dying, so i guess it was pts, but i couldnt just leave it in the open to die :cry:

me and my hubby found one in a awful state we took it to wood green where they put it to sleep, there was a lorry driver going past and he shouted put it down it's got myxi but there was no way I could see it suffer:cry::cry:

im sorry but am i the only one reading this in horror :shock:
you own rabbits yet you are willing to pick up and handle wild rabbits with myxi therefore risking your own rabbits are you crazy ? :?
personally i would stay well away from them, you do know the myxi jab does not prevent your rabbit from getting myxi and they do still die from it even when vacinated
really its not worth the risk :? :? :?

Earlier this year when I was on school residential there was a myxi outbreak, they get it about once every three years. It was awful :(

you own rabbits yet you are willing to pick up and handle wild rabbits with myxi therefore risking your own rabbits are you crazy ? :?
personally i would stay well away from them, you do know the myxi jab does not prevent your rabbit from getting myxi and they do still die from it even when vacinated

So you would walk away and leave them to suffer :?

As I am not a licenced gun holder I would contact the local Wildlife Organisation who will either catch the Rabbit(s) and euthanise them or get a marksman to put them out of their misery.

I had no rabbits at the time, but even if I did I would still help it is called compassion

i keep well away from all wild rabbits wheneve posible it is not worth the risk to my own rabbits , if you have 1 rabbit with myxi you are supposed to keep away from other rabbits for 6 mths that is the brc rule , myxi wipes out rabbits that is exctley what the germans designed it for during the war to wipe out or food sourse and boy did they do a good job !
and if you end up with one rabbit with it the rest are going to get it it just wipes out rabitrys
our school rabbits got it both died both vaccinated as soon as i heard they were just ill i kept away i was lucky as i could have taken it home with me and infected all our own rabbits
myxi is not something you should play about with it is a dangerous illness to your own rabbits and its not worth the risk
the last time i came across a myxi rabbit i practcally tripped over it this was about 4 years ago , went home and destroyed the clothes and shoes i was wearing ( i always wear old clothes and hoes just in case ) and for a few weeks wore tyvex suits in th shed just in case thats how risky it is , its fine by me if you want to risk killing your own rabbits to help a half dead myxi wild rabbit but as for me i would leave it and certainly would not go any where near it i may sound cruel but at the end of the day my rabbits come first aways have always will their lives are far more important than a wild rabbit and there is no way i would ever risk mine , i even change my clothes after walking the dog before going to the shed !

Last edited:
I thought it was flying insects that carry myxi? can physical contact put your rabbit at risk too?!
and I thought some idiot introduced it into France making it spread into the UK?

I have not found any literature (I've looked recently) that says it is contaminated rabbit to rabbit, or carried on clothing. The only stuff I can find is about flies and fleas, which obviously can travel on clothing, but in a different way.

I would always put my buns first, but I wouldn't be able to leave a bunny suffering so would do what I had to do for it. I keep a carry case in my car and a specific blanket and would use those. They are never used by my buns and would probably be the safest way to do it. I also always have that alcohol gel that they use in hospitals so I can clean myself.

I thought it was flying insects that carry myxi? can physical contact put your rabbit at risk too?!
and I thought some idiot introduced it into France making it spread into the UK?

i thought it was a frenchmen that intrudued it as well to control the wabbit population, sucha cruel way to reduce numbers, hunting them would have been kinder.:cry:

i keep well away from all wild rabbits wheneve posible it is not worth the risk to my own rabbits , if you have 1 rabbit with myxi you are supposed to keep away from other rabbits for 6 mths that is the brc rule , myxi wipes out rabbits that is exctley what the germans designed it for during the war to wipe out or food sourse and boy did they do a good job !
and if you end up with one rabbit with it the rest are going to get it it just wipes out rabitrys
our school rabbits got it both died both vaccinated as soon as i heard they were just ill i kept away i was lucky as i could have taken it home with me and infected all our own rabbits
myxi is not something you should play about with it is a dangerous illness to your own rabbits and its not worth the risk
the last time i came across a myxi rabbit i practcally tripped over it this was about 4 years ago , went home and destroyed the clothes and shoes i was wearing ( i always wear old clothes and hoes just in case ) and for a few weeks wore tyvex suits in th shed just in case thats how risky it is , its fine by me if you want to risk killing your own rabbits to help a half dead myxi wild rabbit but as for me i would leave it and certainly would not go any where near it i may sound cruel but at the end of the day my rabbits come first aways have always will their lives are far more important than a wild rabbit and there is no way i would ever risk mine , i even change my clothes after walking the dog before going to the shed !

I find this quite odd.
Firstly you wont transmit the Myxoma Virus unless you have direct contact with mucus secretions or open lesions. The vector of the Myxoma Virus is usually biting blood sucking insects.

http://www.radil.missouri.edu/info/dora/RABBPAGE/vir.htm

You certainly wont 'risk your stock' by making a call to a Wildlife Centre or the RSPCA to notify them of an infected wild colony. They are then in a position to relieve the suffering of the infected Rabbits

Personally I fail to see how anyone with an ounce of compassion for living creatures could observe a suffering wild Rabbit and do absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

You really don't know what you are talking about do you :shock: The Germans didn't invent Myxi to wipe out a food source :lol::lol: Also it is carried by insects so no use keeping rabbits separate for 6 months...I guess this is what you get if you get your info from the BRC!

You really don't know what you are talking about do you :shock: The Germans didn't invent Myxi to wipe out a food source :lol::lol: Also it is carried by insects so no use keeping rabbits separate for 6 months...I guess this is what you get if you get your info from the BRC!

:lol:

Myxi was actually first observed in Uruguay in the late 1800s, it was deliberately introduced into Australia in 1950's in an attempt to control rabbit infestation and population there.It was then introduced illegally to France in 1952 and as a result spread to the rest of Europe including the UK.
Myxomatosis is typically spread by bloood sucking and biting insects such as fleas, there is little risk of you actually passing on myxi to your own bunny.
Vaccination offers the best chance for domesticated bunnys and typically will not develop the fully blown disease but will get "lumpy bunny syndrome" which is awful but is not full blown myxi

Myxi was actually first observed in Uruguay in the late 1800s, it was deliberately introduced into Australia in 1950's in an attempt to control rabbit infestation and population there.It was then introduced illegally to France in 1952 and as a result spread to the rest of Europe including the UK.
Myxomatosis is typically spread by bloood sucking and biting insects such as fleas, there is little risk of you actually passing on myxi to your own bunny.
Vaccination offers the best chance for domesticated bunnys and typically will not develop the fully blown disease but will get "lumpy bunny syndrome" which is awful but is not full blown myxi

:thumb:

Back