• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Get well" wishes would be welcome

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
It sounds silly - he's just a bit off his feed (very much an "eat to live bun" - & seems suicidal at times! with a long story) So we went to the vet ( very bunny "savvy") yesterday as total poop output had been down by 1/4 for about a week. He needed another dental for small lower molar spurs - only a month after the last. He just sailed through it - assessed 11.30 am, "round & eating" 1.30 pm home as bright as ever late afternoon. But despite pain relief, he still needs frequent "reminders" to eat.

Can't use standard type things cos he gets dysbiosis at the drop of a hat with human veggies then goes into stasis - has to be the "traditional " wayside plants. Also needs excessively high fiber with hawthorn/ sloe leaves. It's thought he has a poor nerve supply to the lower gut after a viral illness. No obvious probs with his tummy - wee OK - fully examined yesterday - no tenderness over tooth roots.

I'm worried because he's a bun that needs a massive fiber intake to keep going as well as plenty of excercize.

Oh no Judy your little chap does like to stress you out doesnt he !!

I hope that he will start eating more overnight. He certainly has an expert looking after him :)

Lots of get well wishes and vibes from me and the buns Judy! :wave: I hope you can find enough wild plants to entice his appetite. Incidentally, just in case it is of any help, I find that when my two are coming through tummy troubles that something 'not tried before' is usually the first thing they will eat. Rosemary stalks went down very well with Poppy last time - strongly scented and very fibrous, lavender similarily so. If you've got a spare patch of earth in your garden i'd really recommend some Jerusalem artichokes - mine love the leaves and they never cause upset here. I realise you've not time to plant and grow now, but they are very prolific and multiply quickly in one season. As a last resort most supermarkets do a good range of 'woody' herbs....thyme, rosemary etc.

Come on Thumper....eat up! Try not to worry, i'm sure he'll be ok. I find my anxiety levels at these times can put us all off our food....so I think you should follow your own advice and have a glass of wine :D:wave:

Raspberry bush leaves are good right now if you have any access to them. Nearby allotments are a good source!

I can send you some if you like!!

Thank you so much every one.
Well it gave me the thought that he hasn't had as much exercise as usual today (hates wind + rain & starts at the slightest noise) & of course less than usual yesterday.
He's a real "poops out - food in" bunny. He decided to eat some leaves after a dozen trips up & down stairs produced a few stray poops. I often look at him thinking-"you are so incredibly like a wild bun in diet & exercise needs, & so incredibly adapted to people socially, & re living indoors".
There's been a lot of thumping tonight = "I want; look I'll show you" - mainly "to play"- so that's good.

Thank you for the hint about the rosemary & lavender - I've a large rosemary bush that needs cutting back. I didn't know about Jerusalem artichoke leaves - related to sunflowers! I love the tubers but they "increase my carbon footprint" rather substantially!:oops:

Let's hope it's back to normal tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your get well Thumper wishes.
He tucked into his leaves last night, & is drinking well so his mouth is comfortable. & he showed me he needs more exercise, (grief he's free in the house & just up & down stairs is more than most buns get!!) but he's started to go 12 hrs. through the day eating very little unless I remind him. Trouble is that his poops get smaller - not enough through put.

I suspect that rock bottom the problem is me! I'm not well at best, but the complaints procedure against sewer flooding which now threatens my house structurally, proves onerous, ineffective & heavily biased towards Thames Water. Strangely I can face losing absolutely everything except a suit case of clothes - but can't face us being separated! It's pretty uncomfortable - unbearably humid when drying out after summer flood & impossible to heat after winter flood, but I reckon we'll keep going for Thumper's life time :) He knows I'm sad & worried. I'll just have to learn from him about not worrying about the future.

He does make me laugh! Right from the very beginning it's been people advising me "rabbits xyz" mine didn't, & had his own ideas. He needs a few dried pellets for weight maintenance. I tried to improve his hay consumption & give him something to do by scattering his pellets in it. There was no time difference from a bowl - he found them all perfectly easily although he has a large tray heaped with hay! So I wonder how he can get within a yard of my garden wellies without blowing his nose off let alone trying to chin scent them.
We'll get there together.

Thank you so much for your get well Thumper wishes.
He tucked into his leaves last night, & is drinking well so his mouth is comfortable. & he showed me he needs more exercise, (grief he's free in the house & just up & down stairs is more than most buns get!!) but he's started to go 12 hrs. through the day eating very little unless I remind him. Trouble is that his poops get smaller - not enough through put.

I suspect that rock bottom the problem is me! I'm not well at best, but the complaints procedure against sewer flooding which now threatens my house structurally, proves onerous, ineffective & heavily biased towards Thames Water. Strangely I can face losing absolutely everything except a suit case of clothes - but can't face us being separated! It's pretty uncomfortable - unbearably humid when drying out after summer flood & impossible to heat after winter flood, but I reckon we'll keep going for Thumper's life time :) He knows I'm sad & worried. I'll just have to learn from him about not worrying about the future.

He does make me laugh! Right from the very beginning it's been people advising me "rabbits xyz" mine didn't, & had his own ideas. He needs a few dried pellets for weight maintenance. I tried to improve his hay consumption & give him something to do by scattering his pellets in it. There was no time difference from a bowl - he found them all perfectly easily although he has a large tray heaped with hay! So I wonder how he can get within a yard of my garden wellies without blowing his nose off let alone trying to chin scent them.
We'll get there together.

I'm glad to hear his mouth seems comfortable, and that you guys are figuring out a solution together. :)

I think that's one big thing I've learned here: every rabbit is different. They are all unique and complicated little creatures, and you have to learn what your rabbit is saying to you. Sounds like you and Thumper have a great bond. :)

your understanding of thumps and the bond you have with him is second to none. i hope you are both feeling better soon. x

Back