• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bumble and Bounty helpafter spay today!

xtine

Warren Scout
Bumble and Bounty had their spay today. they had it around dinner and i picked them up at 5. they had eaten a tiny amount there bounty more than bumble. since getting home they have hardly eaten just a couple of carrot greens they are just sat togehter in their cage. any suggestions? :(

Bumble and Bounty had their spay today. they had it around dinner and i picked them up at 5. they had eaten a tiny amount there bounty more than bumble. since getting home they have hardly eaten just a couple of carrot greens they are just sat togehter in their cage. any suggestions? :(

This is normal and I wouldn't worry too much so early in the evening. Spays are a big Op and can really 'take it out of a bun', and the pain relief used during and post-Op is of the Opiate variety which makes buns drowsy, on top of this the effects of the anaesthetic will still be wearing off for quite a few hours. All in all this will give you a couple of very drowsy buns who don't feel much like eating. Most people will tell you to only be concerned if they haven't eaten in 24 hours. In my opinion this is too long and I would be concerned if my bun hadn't eaten in 12 hours, but this still gives you til the morning before you need to worry. However, I would continue to leave fresh and tempting food out for them both and would be inclinced to encourage them to eat something in the night as well, giving them time to rest in the meantime.
Any pain relief given will wear off after 12 hours, so if they are not eating by first thing in the morning and/or passing droppings I would pop them back to the vet for more pain relief. Pain is a big factor in appetite. Make sure they have a bowl of water they can access as well and leave lots of food and hay around to tempt them. I would also put a heat pad or hot water bottle (litre bottle filled with hot tap water) in to keep them warm. Good luck, hope they feel better soon. :)

thank you sooooo much for that just what i needed to hear i think i really appreciate that :wave: will carry on doing what im doing then :)

Just to check, you do have pain meds for them?

Hydration is more important than eating at this point, and the fact they have eaten is brilliant-they have done better than all my spays, already (We've been through 5 here).

Try to offer a buffet and tempt them with things you know are ok and safe for their tummies. I had a boy neutered today and he won't eat anything else other than dandelion leaves at the moment, so they can be very picky.

Hopefully they will eat more over night :) And produce you some beautiful poos too.

They were given pain relief before i picked them up. i havent got any though. is that wrong?

sky 0 hope your evening goes well :wave:

They will need painkillers for probbaly about 5 days after their operation. It's incredibly invasive. Not sure I would want to be 'spayed' with no pain meds after. It sounds like maybe your vet needs to learn more about the buns response to pain.,

I would suggest going back to your vets and getting some tomorrow. That will aid their recovery. Metacam is the minimum that should be given, although I know some people use stronger meds.

Angel-my neutered guy, will be having Metacam for at least the next 3 days.

Also, on a side note, have you given them a heat source?

Thanks :) He's doing ok. Pottering ok, hes eaten some and he is clearly improving. I hope your night and evening goes well too.

yeah theve got a warm water bottle :lol: im upset with the vets now though with the pain relief part they said they had had enough! i askedd when i picked them up.

A lot of vets don't know unfortunately. You can get some early tomorrow though and that should be fine for them.

god i hate this its horrible. :( i will wait till the morning then. Bounty just got up walked round and then floped again. Bumbles just lookes shattered shes not eaten much either.

ow sorry just first time got nothing to compare it to. i forgot to say im glad angels doing well. good to hear.x

It's horrible to watch (especially if they are staggery after the GA) but this is normal. Its normal to be dopey and to not want to eat. Have they got dark places to hide in?

Are you sitting there with them or just going in to check on them every so often?

Also, just to add, you do have a comparison- you have each of the buns to compare with the other. :)

Every time I have booked a neuter or spay by choice I've had them done in pairs so that you can compare one recovery with another because it can give you an indication if anyone is struggling.

I agree totally with Sky-O, I would also, if I had actually been through a spay :oops: give pain relief for many days after, whatever the vet said! I think a lot of vets do not give adequate consideration to 'pain' and the effects it has on rabbits in both emotional and physical ways.
You might find this articles helps you find the courage to persuade your vet to give you some pain relief to use at home:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

Lots of midnight eating vibes! :)

no theyve got their bed/ soft basket and towles etc. there in my room so there down on the floor next to my bed. Bounty is alot more alert than bumble but bounty was done first.

If you can find a way to give them somewhere dark (like an open carry case covered with a towel), it can give them somewhere to sleep off some more of the GA, or mabe dim the light in your room as much as possible?

Yep i will do that put a towl over etc. im guna ring them though to make sure they have pain relief in the morning etc.

im to carry on keeping them warm and cosy. they given them all the pain relief they can for today. the only thing the vet can do is put them on a drip and he says thats to early so im to give the recovery green goop another go and carry on what im doing if they get worse im to ring him back. he wants me to ring in the morning what ever and he can get me some pain relief drops? or even take them back in and nurse them at the vets.

They sound fine for tonight. The pain killer lasts roughly 24 hours, so they should be fine with it until tomorrow. They sound like buns who are recovering normally from a spay and struggling in the normal ways. Just keep tempting, stay relaxed, keep an eye open and they should do fine.

Do they have any favourite foods? Do they eat grass normally?

Also, the pain killer drops would probably be Metacam because that is dosed by drops.

Thank you for all your help ill get on with my jobs. god got planning to do tomora first day back teaching! going to be a long night!

It will be a long night, but hopefully they will be doing better tomorrow.

Out of interest, did you train at Bishop Grot?

Back