• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tinkerbell just had a fit... help.

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
I cant believe it, i let the buns out for an hour but it really started to chuck it down so i called them all in for dinner, tinkerbell didnt come so i looked round the door and she was having a fit in the garden :( I ran out and scooped her up it was awful she was twitching her head and lashing out with her legs upside down. I rushed her straight to the vets in tears and got seen straight away, by the time i got there she'd stopped and got control of her legs again and sat up.

The vet couldnt see anything but gave her a injection of metcam and said i could either leave her overnight or watch her myself and bring her back in the morning. I decided to bring her home didnt want to seperate her from the others too long and i thought it would just stress her out. I have her in the lounge now and shes stuffing her face quite happily.

I have a 2ft wall at the edge of my garden which the run was next too, im wondering whether she slipped in the rain, fell off the wall and knocked her head?

Its scared me to death and im so scared it might happen again, i feel so bad :cry:

Last edited:
How very scary. Poor you, and poor her. I'm glad she stopped fitting though.

I would suggest offering a snugglesafe and keeping an eye for more.

What colour is she?

A snugglesafe is a heat pad type thing. You heat it in the microwave and it stays warm for 5-6 hours (sometimes longer).

You can get a shorter lasting, but similar heat effect by using a rice sock, so by putting uncooked rice in a sock and heating it in the microwave (if it gets too hot just wrap it in something). OR if you don't have a microwave, heat uncooked rice in an oven and then fill a sock with it (same thing applies in terms the heat).

I asked about colour because I saw the white bun in your sig. Blue eyed white buns are prone to seizures, so was wondering if it was that bun, but its obviously not, so that's an irrelevent point, lol.

ETA- Snugglesafe http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=250

A snugglesafe is a heat pad type thing. You heat it in the microwave and it stays warm for 5-6 hours (sometimes longer).

You can get a shorter lasting, but similar heat effect by using a rice sock, so by putting uncooked rice in a sock and heating it in the microwave (if it gets too hot just wrap it in something). OR if you don't have a microwave, heat uncooked rice in an oven and then fill a sock with it (same thing applies in terms the heat).

I asked about colour because I saw the white bun in your sig. Blue eyed white buns are prone to seizures, so was wondering if it was that bun, but its obviously not, so that's an irrelevent point, lol.

ETA- Snugglesafe http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=250

Oh yes of course! Ok will try the rice thing, i have the fire on and shes got a towel over her snuggled on the sofa.... dont want to overheat her though shes normally outside in the garage but she got abit wet so dont want her to get a chill, shes had a good rub down.

Thankyou

You're doing all the right things :) Just keep her calm and make sure she can get away from the heat if she wants to.

Also keep yourself calm (yes, easier said than done though).

You're doing all the right things :) Just keep her calm and make sure she can get away from the heat if she wants to.

Also keep yourself calm (yes, easier said than done though).

Im normally so calm crikey i dealt with enough human fits but it really upset me seeing tinkerbell like that and so distressed, shes calm now but not as active as usual, im just sick with worry. Thankyou for your help x

She will take a while to recover. Has she eaten or gone to the toilet or anything since?

It's very different when you're in a professional role, to being in a personal one, hopefully you will start to calm down as she recovers more.

oh crikey ...that must have been awful ... not much experience of this type of thing im afraid so no advice other than to keep her warm and keep an eye on her ...

oh ...and perhaps keep the lights dimmed and the area she is in very quiet ..

Angie

I think it might be a good idea to treat all Buns with Panacur.
Of course EC is not the only cause of seizures, but it is one of them.

I'd keep her away from any sensory stimuli such as TVs or artificial lighting tonight and I would not let her get too warm.

I hope she will be OK now. I had a Bun who had several seizures a day and he lived for 7 years !! The seizures only occured in his sleep and lasted about 30 seconds. He recovered immediately and behaved as if nothing had happened.

Shes acting normal now she hasnt poo'd yet but shes stuffing her face! Allt he other buns are fine, i really think she must have fallen and hit her head seeing as she was on her back. The lights are really dim and not directly above her, shes sat watching me type at the moment, she says thankyou everyone :wave:

I'm so glad she is feeling better :)

Personally I feel it is very unlikely that she fell and fitted :? We have had many fitting bunnies here, all their fits have been different to watch but some have twisted onto their back during it :?

Well I kept her in until midnight last night she was eating, pooing and hopping round fine. Ive checked her hourly overnight (im shattered) and shes been normal. Shes out in the garden now grazing and bouncing round like a baby bun :? I guess i'll never know why she fitted the reason i thought she must have banged her head was that she was in between the run and the wall and she was up on the wall when i walked into the garage, she was fine just before, she also had a bramble caught around in between her backlegs which i thought may have tripped her up?. I just dont understand it.

Last edited:
oh bless her. I know Vicki267's bunny Jet used to have fits and it was linked to E.C, did the vet mention anything about that being a possiblility?

like with people im sure there are many reasons a bunny would have a fit though :?

poor tinks, i hope she is okay :( x

oh bless her. I know Vicki267's bunny Jet used to have fits and it was linked to E.C, did the vet mention anything about that being a possiblility?

like with people im sure there are many reasons a bunny would have a fit though :?

poor tinks, i hope she is okay :( x

I did mention it to the vet but she didnt think it was that, im going to keep a close eye on her, shes been out in the garden this morning running around and playing. No signs of anything worrying at all. If im worried i'll take her straight back to the vets.

Thanks hun x

My Vernon had several seizures 4 days after having a GA. He was very poorly for a while, but seems to be back to normal now and hasn't had any more seizures. My vet advised treating him for panacur just in case.

Sending lots of vibes for Tinkerbell xx

Well I kept her in until midnight last night she was eating, pooing and hopping round fine. Ive checked her hourly overnight (im shattered) and shes been normal. Shes out in the garden now grazing and bouncing round like a baby bun :? I guess i'll never know why she fitted the reason i thought she must have banged her head was that she was in between the run and the wall and she was up on the wall when i walked into the garage, she was fine just before, she also had a bramble caught around in between her backlegs which i thought may have tripped her up?. I just dont understand it.

Did she stop fitting as soon as she was upright? Occasionally, a rabbit will find itself unable to right itself and their frantic attempts to right themselves can look like a fit. Just a though if she had a bramble wrapped around her legs.

Back