• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ladder

Mole

Young Bun
will my rabbits be able to get up a ramp if they have never gone up one before to get to there sleeping area (also when i get them will they have to stay in the hucth for 2 days???)

Most rabbits can deal with a ramp fine. Rabbits are very active creatures, they jump all over the place. I would just check that the ramp and hole for the ramp is going to be big enough, some of the poorer hutches can have ramps that are only really big enough for small rabbits and babies. Also how steep is it? If it's too steep that might cause problems, but you can sometimes prevent this by putting a brick underneath the bottom of the ramp.

When introducing them to a new hutch try not to stress them out, let them get used to it. If they seem fine and want to come out then let them. If they are hiding and freightened just try to leave them for longer.

My male struggled with his ladder in his temporary hutch at first. I got a 3 tier hutch for him whilst he had to be seperated from my female, and he just couldnt use it. When i ordered the cage it looked better than when i got it however, the ladder is in a very silly place in my opinion, he has to get up the ladder and twist round at the same time to get onto the level.

He refused to use the ladder at first, so i locked him in one level to get him used to the cage for the first day. I then added the ladder to one floor, and placed water bottles, food bowls, hay and litters in each level, and he learnt to go down on his own, but not up. I kept placing him up and by day 4 he figured how to get up. Now, hes fine, he jumps up quicker than you can blink, but hes very small, my other rabbits probably wouldnt be able to.

Aslong as the ladders in a good position and its wide enough, then you may just have to teach them how to use it, that is if they dont pick it up right away. I placed veg and treats on the rungs of the ladder, and thats how mine eventually figured it out. Just make sure you provide hay food and water on the bottom level until they can definately use it ok.

Simon gave me a tip for mine which i was going to do, but didnt need to in the end- of using roofing felt to provide extra grip on the ladder, although some ladders have a similar thing on them. Good luck!

Back