• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doomed bunnies

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Do you ever sort of feel that just some buns seem to be doomed? Like some buns who go through rescues just seem to be doomed to really horrible things happening, or things going wrong for them over and over again? Even when it shouldn't?

Last edited:
Eh?:lol::lol:

Pretty much whenever I see a bun in a petshop/garden centre I think - in a year from now, it will be sitting in a rotting 3 foot hutch, all alone & forgotten :cry:

I know this isn't what happens to all, but definitely most

Eh?:lol::lol:

Pretty much whenever I see a bun in a petshop/garden centre I think - in a year from now, it will be sitting in a rotting 3 foot hutch, all alone & forgotten :cry:

I know this isn't what happens to all, but definitely most

Not always :D one of my buns is a petshop bun and lives in a shed plus 2nd layer with aviary attached, with 4 other buns and get played with and cuddled every day :D:D:D I do feel sorry for some petshop bunnys tho :(

I think some bunnies are generally 'sickly children' and get ill at the drop of a hat, and some are more accident prone than others.

My Dominic has had a long list of ailments...entropian, ear infection, runny nose, pustules on his willy, sore hocks, etc

Not always :D one of my buns is a petshop bun and lives in a shed plus 2nd layer with aviary attached, with 4 other buns and get played with and cuddled every day :D:D:D I do feel sorry for some petshop bunnys tho :(

That's kind of where I was going with "not all";):lol:

My first & & 2nd buns were petshops/garden centres:oops:

The ones I'm thinking of just seem to be on the wrong side of 'fate', like things going wrong around them, losing bondmates, being in the wrong home, then getting to the right home and getting injured.

Just a whole long list of things that prevents them being happy, when really, when they go from a rescue centre they should be going on to the best time of their lives.

Some buns just seem to be dealt a raw deal by fate. But only some buns, not all.

The ones I'm thinking of just seem to be on the wrong side of 'fate', like things going wrong around them, losing bondmates, being in the wrong home, then getting to the right home and getting injured.

That could describe a fair amount of my buns tbh - I suppose that's just the life of any former Rescue bun

I think some bunnies are generally 'sickly children' and get ill at the drop of a hat, and some are more accident prone than others.

My Dominic has had a long list of ailments...entropian, ear infection, runny nose, pustules on his willy, sore hocks, etc

I have 3 buns, two from a back yard breeder, and one from god knows where :roll:

There has never been a single thing wrong with them :?
Then I hear about some rabbits on here, and I think that I must just be so lucky.

I just find it sad some buns never get their happy ending.

But the bad things may still of happened to them even if they had stayed where they were and not been rescued and given a good home, which would be so much worse for them. At least when they have a good home, when the bad things happen they know they are loved and someone is there to look out for them :)

So many terrible things have happened to our bunnies before they were rescued and because of this bad things have continued to happen while they are with us, but hopefully once they are here they will feel safe and loved, will be clean and dry and will get all the care they need despite their problems. If that isn't true then there is no point to what we do :?

But the bad things may still of happened to them even if they had stayed where they were and not been rescued and given a good home, which would be so much worse for them. At least when they have a good home, when the bad things happen they know they are loved and someone is there to look out for them :)

So many terrible things have happened to our bunnies before they were rescued and because of this bad things have continued to happen while they are with us, but hopefully once they are here they will feel safe and loved, will be clean and dry and will get all the care they need despite their problems. If that isn't true then there is no point to what we do :?

Well said. I must say that what you do for your buns is amazing and I take my hat off to you everytime I read one of your threads. If I was an elderly or sick bun I know where I would want to be.

This is how I look at it too, and its not just rabbits, lots of animals seen to be doomed to a difficult life.
We had a goat who was rescued with Jack. She was very thin and had breathing problems, we did all we could for her, but 6 months later she had to be PTS due to uterine cancer- not common in goats as far as I know.
I feel at least, she ( and others) had a bit of a good life and if left at her original home she would have suffered for a lot longer.

Back