• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question for rescues...

mich8

Alpha Buck
Apart from your own websites and this forum....

What else do you do to promote/highlight your rescue and the rabbits needing homes ?????

My reason for asking is this.. I have had quite a few people say to me that they did not know rescues for rabbits existed. So, is that because we don't live anywhere near one and would not see publicity for them etc.

Or

Are people generally unaware of rescues for rabbits etc

Many list their bunnies for rehome on Rabbit Rehome and you can buy a carsticker to advertise Rabbit Rehome from Bunnymadlisa!

We put up posters in local vets, have our own web site, put bunnies up on here, tell people that have already adopted about new arrivals, tell anybody that will listen!

We are also on the lists of rescues available on Rabbit Rehome and with the RWA. This list however, is quite out of date with so many rescues having to close over the last few years.

If anybody has any great ideas for promoting available rabbits, we'd love to hear from you.

We put up posters in local vets, have our own web site, put bunnies up on here, tell people that have already adopted about new arrivals, tell anybody that will listen!

We are also on the lists of rescues available on Rabbit Rehome and with the RWA. This list however, is quite out of date with so many rescues having to close over the last few years.

If anybody has any great ideas for promoting available rabbits, we'd love to hear from you.

I was also thinking of putting some of the buns for rehoming posters up in my car!

I was also thinking of putting some of the buns for rehoming posters up in my car!

That sounds like an excellent idea, and if I had any more room in the door windows of my van, I'd do the same :lol::lol:

I might even see if the local supermarket would take an A4 poster.

Most people don't seem to know much about our local one. I guess its down to how well publicised it is. It's sad when people don't realise though because potentially a rabbit can miss out on a good home, and the owner can miss out on the right rabbit.

I volunteer with the RSPCA which is obviously well publised and people know of us.

Most people don't seem to know much about our local one. I guess its down to how well publicised it is. It's sad when people don't realise though because potentially a rabbit can miss out on a good home, and the owner can miss out on the right rabbit.

I volunteer with the RSPCA which is obviously well publised and people know of us.

That was my thoughts exactly :)

I mean our nearest one is about 12 miles from us and nobody around here seems to know it is there.
So that is a lot of potential owners lost.

News channels maybe?
There's always stuff much less-important on the news, especially on a slow day. They had the rabbit jumping on the news, I would of thought they would like to see a rescue :)

I tried to add my rescue to rabbit rehome twice but to no avail. Vets have my cards. Local paper did an article once, other rescues know of us so they do pass on my details to other people. Word of mouth, stalls etc.. Just dont have the spare cash to advertise more. A local PR company is curruntly trying to organise a fundraising ball for us so hopefully that will help big time.

HI
Thank you for all your replies.

It would seem that unless you are very local to a rescue you would not really know about it.

I will start to think of what I can do to help promote my nearest rescue.

Thank you all

See, i know what you mean about people not knowing.....there is an SPCA in my town, but people always call it the 'cat & dog home' so lots of folk would never know there were bunnies or anything else there!

How about advertising in pet shops that don't actually sell animals or feed store and farm shops? Vets is an obvious one.

I'm ashamed to say that i didn't know about rabbit rescues before coming on here (and just how many buns are in rescues). I knew of the Blue Cross, RSPCA and a local animal rescue but that was about it:oops:

Rabbit rehome & our own website
google/yell/other online sites
Just giving, facebook, twitter, caf, other internet sites - all free for basic listing. Just giving give you a certain amount of time for free as well & I think they are reorganising their fee structure too.
ebay/missionfish - If you can get the charity registered (free) fees are nil or much reduced. You can sell your junk & donate to the charity.
local events, fetes etc
Big events like NEC and Stonleigh country festival which were amazing freebies.
local rags
bbc online did an artical on us once
rabbiting on did a lovely one recently for us
local radio stations
Show and tell or similar at brownie/rainbow/guides/schools
We did a birthday party (for someone else) which is a great idea but not something we can easily repeat because of manpower.
Open days (although usually restricted to adopters, they can bring friends/interested people)
Shaking a tin in local shopping places
bag packing in local supermarkets
key ring box in the local pets at home
poster & regular chats with our local non animal selling pet shop
posters in vets
our fosterers are spread out over quite a geographic range so their vets all know us too & will recomend.
posters in local rabbit boarding places
Branded clothing
Regular newletter that gets e-mailed out.
we'll probably go down the window sticker route at some point too.

Everything we sell at events usually has a label on with the website address so people take it home with them. We also have cards or similar that they can take with them & a range of RWA leaflets.

If you want to help promote your local rescue then the RR car sticker is a good idea & maybe one for the front window/porch too? A poster in your local vets/library/church is also a good idea. RR have a poster somewhere online that you can print off. Non livestock selling petshops/horsefeed merchants/garden centers/anywhere with some local event space is great for posters. you could also offer your time either to do events/shake a tin/car boot or something similar. Volunteers are usually very welcome. You could also volunteer time in other ways e.g. helping with accounts or making better use of the information from adopters to set up a distribuion list or if you get to know them well finding out info from the charity commission & helping them to set up as a listed charity.

Last edited:
Back