• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to expect?

LMc

Young Bun
Hey.
Pippin is going to vet omorrow to be neutered, so was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice as to what to expect when I bring him home and how I can make sure he gets recovers quickly.
Thank you xxx

Hi, I had my bunny "done" a few months back. When you drop him off, take some of his favourite things with him - I gave Nermal his fleecy sleeping tunnel, his own food bowl and some food, his own water bottle, some hay etc. The vets staff thought it was quite funny that he turned up with an overnight bag!!

I was told that the procedure itself is straightforward, and much less invasive than with girl bunnies, so even though there's always a risk, it's pretty low. The amount of time they're under anaesthetic is relatively short.

Apparently after the op Nermal spent the day with his legs kicked out behind him snoozing in his tunnel, and he was pretty wobbly and sleepy when I brought him home, but was generally in good spirits. He hadn't eaten by the time I picked him up after work, but as soon as I got him home he had a nibble and something to drink. Familiar surroundings will make all the difference I think.

I took all the bedding out of his cage and put towels/blankets down as advised by the vet just in case anything got stuck to his wound, and I left it that way for a few days. I put some newspaper down as well for toilet purposes.

As long as your bun eats and drinks within 24 hours of the op then you'll be sorted. (If not get him back to the vet asap) Treats help not only with tempting them to eat but also to make them like you again! (Nermal was pretty grumpy for about a week).

Sorry for huge post but I remember a few people being really helpful to me just before Nermal's op, so am trying to pay it forward!!

Hope all goes well :)

Its a worrying time isn't it. I am sure all will go well though try not to worry.

Your bunny should have his breakfast as usual and have hay and water available right up to the operation.

You should be able to collect him once he has come round and has eaten and produced some poo's.

Expect him to be a bit quieter than usual.

Keep him inside for 24/48 hours to help him to maintain his body temperature and bed him on newspaper or towels if he doesn't chew, keep his hay in a hayrack or a box with a hole in so the hay doesn't irritate the wound. Offer food at regular intervals. You need to make sure he is eating, drinking and pooing. I found mine nibbled a little and pooped a little the first evening but overnight perked up and ate and pooped well (once the lights were out and the house quiet). If you are at all worried call your vet and tell them. If he isn't eating, drinking and pooping well the next morning I'd call and ask if they want to see him again.

I think with the boys they are pretty much back to normal in 48 hours although I was advised to prevent him from jumping up and down, using ramp in the hutch etc, for 10 days or so

Good luck.

Back