• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my rabbit deaf?

Sparkles

Young Bun
I have had my mini lop Bailey since he was 6months old, he is now 10 months. I always thought he was really calm and laid back but its just occured to me that he may be deaf. He doesnt react at all to the hoover or hair dryer even though my two other rabbits run and hide in a corner. Not only this but one time my dog was in the garden and came face to face with him barking and he didnt move an inch he just carried on munching the grass! He doesnt ever get scared by noise which i find really strange. Is there any way of telling if he is actually deaf?

Thanks

I have a deaf dwarf lop have you tried clapping your hands loudly behind your bunny to see how he reacts, our bunny doesn't move. Otherwise a vet visit will tell you more :)

I've got a deaf bunny - as per the previous answer, the best way to chekc is stand behind them and clap very loudly. No repsonse at all will mean they are more than likely deaf. now mine has a hearing mate it's much easier for her :p

I tried the clapping thing and he didnt seem to react to it but shaking his food bag sends him crazy...although he could see it so maybe thats why. He is bonded with a female rabbit so he isnt on his own. I am going to keep an eye out and when he next has his injections ill ask the vet :)

I've found that both Smudge (who was deaf) and Rascal both know when something different is happening even though they were deaf......
When the front door was open they would be sitting on the stairs looking out.....:lol:
Once you get into a routine they also 'know' what is happening - Rascal knows it's food time when she sees her bowl being moved, or the feed box and bag.......:p
I just have to shake the food box for Charlie to come running from wherever he is so know he's not deaf!!!!:love:

i think Alvin is death.. he reacts to Pearl making a run for food, the light being turned on and floor banging.. poor little soul gets a right shock when hes grooming and he hasnt seen my approach :shock:

Back