• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine Scold, any preventative advice?

Anita

Alpha Buck
Got home from work last night to find my poor 2.5 year old girl Alfie very lifeless and not herself at all, she seemed to come to the front of her cage to tell me something was wrong (not her usual greeting behaviour). It wasnt until she turned around that I noticed she was very wet and dirty from what looked like diarreoh. Gave her a good looking at which is quite difficult as she is a big bun and doesnt usually like it and found a very sore patch above her tail on her bum/back. Took her straight to the vet who kept her in to bathe and treat her. She had pain killers, antibiotics and cream and when I picked her up this morning she is so much like her usual self and eating fine (except a shaved and very sore looking bum). Vet said it was urine scald and they cannot find anything medically wrong, but I dont understand why she would just sit there in her urine and get sore? She eats a combination of hay, greens and supra rabbit excel and is otherwise fine and active. I have kept rabbits for nearly 15 years and have never seen this. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas what I can do to prevent it happening again?

Hi

First question would be is she litter trained? Then how often do you chhnge the contents of it?

She is an outdoor bun who does have a litter tray but only seems to use it to lie in. I usually clean her toilet areas out every other day. She has always been a very dry bunny wee-wise (unliker her sister who is very well litter trained - they live seperately) but yesterday her toilet areas were wet through.

Is she spayed?

Could she have a UTI? Did they x-ray her?

Has her behaviour changed in any other way? Maybe just before this?

Yes she was spayed about 18 months ago. She was a bit quite the day before but was still eating ok so it didnt ring alarm bells then which makes me feel guilty now :(. The day before that she was out in the garden leaping around like a loon as usuall. No she wasnt x-rayed.

I would think maybe sludge/bladder stones is an issue and they can't always be felt on examination, normally an x-ray is needed to be sure.

However my other thought was that something else was causing her pain or discomfort which was causing her to sit still, in her urine.

There will be a reason for this and its important to keep looking for it.

Thank you. That was my worry too but I cannot think of anything I can put my finger on. She has moved into my kitchen now until she is compltetely better so I shall be wathching her like a hawk. We are back at the vets on Monday so I will be asking more questions then.

Back