• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming on the nose causing a bald patch

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Right then, my friend is looking after her brothers 2 rabbits. The bigger one of the 2 is definately a male as you can see his bits starting to show but she's not sure about the smaller one. Her brother was told that they were both female but a pet shop told my friend that they were 1 male and 1 female. She told her brother this and that they needed separating/neutering, but he said to keep them together and he'll come and fetch them when he can - he's recently moved to Sunderland. She only has the one hutch for them and her brother refused to buy another one or to get one or both of them neutered/spayed. (My friends brother is coming to fetch his rabbits at the end of the month)

The big one (male) is now grooming the little one so much that it's left a bald patch on "her" nose. Why is this? What can my friend do?

All advise appreciated

Thanks

Im not sure how to stop it, but my males do this too :roll: And because Harley is an agouti, his fur on his nose looks really scruffy where it's been nibbled

well how long have they been together now? surely the female would be pregnant by now. could you maybe double check for your friend.

well how long have they been together now? surely the female would be pregnant by now. could you maybe double check for your friend.

I have no idea how to check lol. I had to get our vet to check Jose. They've been together for about 3months i think.

She's just gone to P@H to buy another hutch to separate them

aw glad she's getting them seperated. well with the male you'll clearly tell with his plums, but if you squeeze the anus area gentle ofcourse a penis should pop if male and if not female. sounds like they've never been to the vet nor had any vacc's. honestly some people:roll: sounds like your friend is doing all she can for them.

I have no idea how to check lol. I had to get our vet to check Jose. They've been together for about 3months i think.

She's just gone to P@H to buy another hutch to separate them

Google palpating rabbits
You can do the feeling method, or the test mate method. Put them together, and if the buck tries to mate and the doe rejects him, it's likely she is pregnant (Although sometimes the doe will accept when pregnant, so make sure you grab them as soon as they do anything)

aw glad she's getting them seperated. well with the male you'll clearly tell with his plums, but if you squeeze the anus area gentle ofcourse a penis should pop if male and if not female. sounds like they've never been to the vet nor had any vacc's. honestly some people:roll: sounds like your friend is doing all she can for them.

I know, her brother wont be told tho - he doesnt want the big one neutered cos he wants to breed him!! :censored: I feel sorry for them, they'd be better off staying with my friend, but her brother wants them back. She was only meant to be looking after them for a couple of weeks while her brother settled into his new home in Sunderland, then he was meant to come back and fetch them. 3months later they're still here, and im not convinced that he'll come and fetch them at the end of the month either! My friends having to pay for the 2nd hutch cos her brother wont, and she's meant to be saving for her wedding and a deposit on a house. She shouldnt have to be buying it! :censored:

Back