• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Viola Rose Myxi :Post 235. Officially Well again!!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
IF YOU ARE READING THIS TO CHART HOW THE MYXI DEVELOPED THE MAIN UPDATES AND DETAILS OF MEDICATIONS ETC ARE POSTS 1, 3, 5,39, 59, 77, 83, 89, 92, 100, 107. 118, 130, 140, 161, 170, 200, 204 (so far!!), 225, 228

Hope no-one minds but I thought I would post every day as it will help me - and also may help others in the future - just like Oscarbunnies story of Polo has been a huge help for me.

Yesterday we took Viola Rose to the vet as we realised she had myxi - a swollen nose and weepy eye. She was just due her next 6 monthly injection a couple of weeks ago (being out of synch with the others and of course I am really kicking myself for letting her go over the 6 months).

She had swollen genitals and weepy eye and large lump on nose which had come up really really quickly.

We have brought her and her partner (Mistletoe Snowgoose) in into the bedroom to keep them warm and they spent the night keeping us awake with constant eating - everytime they stopped we fed them more on the theory she needs to build herself up. (I am also slightly alregic to buns/hay so spent the whole night having endless ashma)

They had the 'special collection' off the allotments of raspberry leaves, milk thistle, dandelions, grasses, flat leafed parsley . . to eat as well as pellets and apple juice in water - and later I will get them some willow.

She takes her medicine with reluctance but not too dreadful -

but overnight Mistletoe started sneezing so now we are treating him too - though no visible signs.

This morning the eye and nose make her look awfully sad as though she has been crying.
I found lumps on her ears as well, though the genitals looked a little less swollen which seemed odd as everything else was just as bad or worse (the ears).

Yesterday after the vet confirmed myxi she came round and gave all the others their jabs which were all due in 2 weeks time anyway - we had a block appt for the 15th Sept but didn't want to wait - we were all exhausted and traumatised by the end (9pm!!).

Mulberry, our nervy bun who has a middle ear infection right now - was also so traumatised by last nights jabs etc he wouldn't eat at first this morning and had to be coaxed out. Next doors had their lawnmower going which didn't help. he was a nervous wreck.

As if that wasn;t enough this morning whilst collecting greens for all the others I found a homeless man on the allotments who said he couldn't breath and needed help - I phoned an ambulence and got my partner to stay with him.

It all happens at once . . I feel so miserable - I just want Viola Rose to be better.

Must dash - one of the bantams has a vets appt at 12.10 to remove a bandage from a foot.

Last edited:
Poor girl :cry:
What dose of Metacam is she on ?

Its actually meloxivet - I find it easier - and she's on 0.25ml twice a day. She weighs 2.5kgs.

She's also on 0.5mls Bytril twice a day and

Fucithalmic eye ointment 3 times a day and fibreplex - though actually she is eating well.

We have started syringe feeding just a bit of Oxbow critical care as well - just to get her used to syringe feeding incase it comes to that.

Do you know of any ointment (over the counter kind of stuff preferably -) that we can put on her huge nose and genitals so try and sooth them?? If I was her I would want something on those genitals!

Its actually meloxivet - I find it easier - and she's on 0.25ml twice a day. She weighs 2.5kgs.

She's also on 0.5mls Bytril twice a day and

Fucithalmic eye ointment 3 times a day and fibreplex - though actually she is eating well.

We have started syringe feeding just a bit of Oxbow critical care as well - just to get her used to syringe feeding incase it comes to that.

Do you know of any ointment (over the counter kind of stuff preferably -) that we can put on her huge nose and genitals so try and sooth them?? If I was her I would want something on those genitals!

Aloe Vera Gel maybe :?

http://distrib.foreverliving.com/retail/shop/shopping.do?itemCode=061&task=viewProductDetail

oh what a worry ... sending loads of vibes for this little girl ...and some for you too ...

Angie and the Barc bunnies xx

Oh man!
Really sending the most amount of vibes ever, goodness knows how hard this must be for you just now.
Hugs for you and get better vibes for Viola Rose xx

Sounds like she'll have every possible chance. If it helps, my two buns had huge lumps/sore eyes (see pics) but both recovered fully

Picture608-1.jpg

Picture676-1.jpg
(eye less bad this side but lump on nose more visible)

Sounds like she'll have every possible chance. If it helps, my two buns had huge lumps/sore eyes (see pics) but both recovered fully

Picture608-1.jpg

Picture676-1.jpg
(eye less bad this side but lump on nose more visible)

Captain Carrot please send some special 'recovery' vibes for Viola Rose as yours will have extra powers :love:

Back