• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treating All 3 For E.c

If you have a suspected case of EC I think its generally accepted that their bonded partners should be treated too.

So thats the 28 day (or more) Panacur treatment with the cleaning regime with diluted bleach on certain days.... there is a very good post with all this info in - I hope someone can post a link to it!

ETA Think this is the link

Last edited:
I have one with suspected EC and am treating all of the buns as EC spores can live on surfaces for upto 30 days its easily contagious

The active ingredient in both is Fenbendazole. It won't do much against active EC apparently (according to someone I know who researches it in the US) but I don't know what it will do for the symptomless buns.

It won't hurt either and you're not going to lose anything other than money if you give it.

Just back from vets and Fudge (the possible E.C bunny) got another jag.
Chocolate and Peter her hutch mates have been prescribed LAPIZOLE aswell, but God knows how I am going to get all of Peter's down his throat as he is
6KG :D so has a 6ML dose to swallow:shock:
Have bought a larger syringe for him.
Other buns are on 1.3ml each per day and the vet seems to think 1 bottle will do them all??????
Charged £18 for bottle me thinks I will get the other 2 I think I will need from VETUK.
THANKS for all your input as previously I have never had to take rabbits to the vets for anything other than routine reasons. Been lucky I guess

The large volume you need to give with the lapizole is precisely why I haven't tried it and why many people use panacur instead, but the manufacturers claim that rabbits love it so you could try giving it on a treat such as a slice of apple or pear or a tiny piece or bread.
Last time i checked, 1 bottle of lapizole contained approx. enough to treat one 3.5kg rabbit for 28 days.
Perhaps you could ask for panacur for your larges rabbit? the 10% liquid works out cheapest :)

Wesley was a suspected EC case with headtilt. I treated him and Honey to a six week course of panacur and do a nine day course every three months.

but the manufacturers claim that rabbits love it so you could try giving it on a treat such as a slice of apple or pear or a tiny piece or bread.

Can someone try and tell Sophie that, she sniffs around it for ages before grugingly taking it :evil: Sophie HATES being picked up, so doing that would be just plains stupid, especially for the 28 days. I have ordered the liquid from Vet uk, and dispite there being a surcharge for orders under £15, it still works out cheaper than the paste, just need to figure a way of getting it into them. Weetabix alround Me thinks!!

Charlie has vastly improved, Vet said to do them all for the 9 days even though Sophie and Granite are symptom free, then reassess, should I book an appointment at the vets? As Charlie has obviously had it actively.

Sorry OP but what is a jag?

Dingo's 4 days away from completing his 28 day course of Panacur - and he's just realised I've been putting it on dandelion leaves. He eats down to the Panacur and then abandons it! I'll have to get sneaky.

But I'm happy to say there's no sign of the illness anymore :)

Back