• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed asap

>Mic<

Young Bun
Morning all, I wonder if anyone could help.

Our rabbit benny is roughly 1 1/2 years old and has so far had no problems.

We woke this morning to find him frightened to move, and he has not ate/pooed since last night.

I think his claws are long but I have got him out, cut his claws down a bit and this does not seem to have helped.

Im really worried he has a poorly tummy, what can I do? I cant get him to the vet until this afternoon and I dont wanna go to work and leave him :cry::cry:

He has plenty of hay and water, and I have give him a bowl of water too, I keep massaging his tummy but he just looks so unhappy :(

Is there anything else I can give him?

Any help appreciated

He does need to see a vet as soon as possible as he may have gone into stasis.

Have you tried feeding him his favourite stuff? I think parsley and blackberry/raspeberry leaves are good for bad tummies so if you can get any of those? I also massage my rabbits tummy when she has stasis.

You HAVE to take him to the vet! Bunnies go down hill very quickly so leaving it to the afternoon could have dire consequences. If you really can't take him personally then get someone to take him for you. Most vets have a mobile service, which is really expensive but could save his life! Could you drop him off on your way to work as an emergency?!!

Rabbits have very delicate stomachs and if he hasn't eaten all night and looks like he's in pain then you have no choice! If you leave him then you're leaving him in pain. At least at the vets they can administer pain relief and keep his fluids up!

Let us know how you do!

gi tract

Morning all, I wonder if anyone could help.

Our rabbit benny is roughly 1 1/2 years old and has so far had no problems.

We woke this morning to find him frightened to move, and he has not ate/pooed since last night.

I think his claws are long but I have got him out, cut his claws down a bit and this does not seem to have helped.

Im really worried he has a poorly tummy, what can I do? I cant get him to the vet until this afternoon and I dont wanna go to work and leave him :cry::cry:

He has plenty of hay and water, and I have give him a bowl of water too, I keep massaging his tummy but he just looks so unhappy :(

Is there anything else I can give him?

Any help appreciated

put his tummy,etc up to your ear,,does everything sound normal-no loud intrusive noises(if,yes,-pain-try simethicone-infant drops)-,check his teeth and ears,,and massage tummy working everything toward tail,,does tummy feel soft like-doughy??-good//you would need radiograghs to see any blockage//might try some vegy baby food,,some people like feeding canned pumpkin,,keep water and timothy/orchard grass available,,,let me know,,sincerely james waller

Well he is at the vet, have just had to leave him there until someone has time to look at him. I hope he is ok :(:(

Well done for taking him. You've done the right thing :)

Please let us know when you have a update.

Just spoken to vets, they have checked his teeth and all seems ok there, they have given him an injection to try and get things moving again, and have given me some medicine for him, she also said he was eating some grass there which is good.

He is coming home so i'll keep you posted on how he gets on.

Thats good news.

I would check exactly what meds he has been given. Has he had a painkiller or fluids?

I have just spoken to my hubby as he is the one at home.

The vet has given us zantac syrup and marbocyl.

Is there anything else I can give him to help his tummy get better soon?

He was drinking water out of a bowl this morning, and oh says he has ate a couple of pellets

I'm glad you were able to get him to see a vet quickly :) Make sure he is kept warm (a snugglesafe heatpad is ideal, if you have one) as bunnies can find it difficult to regulate their temperature when they're in stasis.

I think Marbocyl is an antibiotic? I don't think it's a painkiller, the only painkiller I can name off the top of my head is Metacam. He could do with some pain relief, many people swear that pain relief is an esential part of getting over stasis. The Zantac will be for getting the gut movement going again. If he is still drinking on his own that's a good sign, it's when they stop drinking and become dehydrated that you're really deep in the danger zone.

Better check the invoice and see what he's had, if he hasn't had any pain relief I would ring the vet back and ask if he can get some.

Sending Benny get well soon vibes x

Last edited:
Sorry I don't know what marboycl is, try Jacksjane.

I would tempt him with all his favourites, fresh herbs are usually liked, perhaps corriander, parsley, mint, or carrot (grated goes down well). Keep him warm and keep offering little bits of food, you can make the pellets mushey with some warm water which he may be more inclined to eat. Keep the fluids up, offer fresh bowls of water regularly and you can wash the herbs etc and leave them wet. Mine liked the Recovery food and ate it readily from a dish when she'd been poorly, did the vet give you some? I'm sure you've been told to monitor his poop out put as this is very important.

I just googled Marboycl and it's an antibiotic. Would definitely be worth asking the vet for pain relief - it makes such a difference to a poorly bun.

Just an update, benny seems a lot better in himself than yesterday, he still is not eating alot of his pellets but seems to be eating quite a bit of hay, and he cleared the carrot I gave him last night.

I keep trying to force him to drink water but he does not seem impressed!

We gave him his first dose of zantac this morning which kinda resulted in him biting me - is there any easy way of giving him it?

I'm going to the shops at lunch time so i will get him some more carrots, and the pet shop sell blocks of dried dandelion leaves - will this be any good for him?

Thanks

Just an update, benny seems a lot better in himself than yesterday, he still is not eating alot of his pellets but seems to be eating quite a bit of hay, and he cleared the carrot I gave him last night.

I keep trying to force him to drink water but he does not seem impressed!

We gave him his first dose of zantac this morning which kinda resulted in him biting me - is there any easy way of giving him it?

I'm going to the shops at lunch time so i will get him some more carrots, and the pet shop sell blocks of dried dandelion leaves - will this be any good for him?

Thanks

I'm glad he's improving, although his continued disinterest in food does make me wonder if he is still in a degree of pain, this is usually the reason a rabbit goes off food, wherever the source of pain. There isn't really any easier way to administer oral meds unless you put them on leaf or something - I have heard someone suggest rolling up a basil leaf or opening up a pea pod and squirting the medicine in to this before offering it.

Forcing him to drink water could cause mores stress than it is worth, if you can not safely syringe feed him oral fluids (boiled and cooled - a herbal tea bag can make the water more palatable e.g. peppermint/camomile/fennel etc) then it is better to offer freshly washed leaves and get the vet to administer fluids sub-cutaneously to keep his hydration up - as has been said, pain relief and hydration are of the utmost importance when dealing with a poorly bun, especially if it is GI related. If he has't had any pain relief I strongly suggest you pop him back for some, or request some oral pain relief to give at home and also get the vet to give some fluids under the skin to keep him going until he is eating and drinking himself normally.

Dried dandelions are ok but fresh and wet would be better to increase hydration. I would personally avoid carrot roots (orange part) as if this is GI related, then sugary/starchy foods can further upset gastric motilitly by causing an acute caecal dysbiosis. I would stick to leafy and woody greens and hay for now. Carrot tops however are fine and I have always found that with a bun off their food things with strong scents/flavours go down best - watercress, rocket, thyme, rosemary, coriander, fennel, basil etc. When my buns are off their food they always seem to go for something they've not had before or often - last time it was jerusalem artichoke leaves and rosemary! I hope that helps and hope he feels better soon. :)

Back