• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick bunny U/D been admitted

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
On top of dealing with my cat being helped to the bridge yesterday, Louie had also not eaten overnight :(

I took him to the vets and he had painkiller, Baytril and stomach moving med's (can't remember what it's called). We came home and he was eating hay, not loads but some and had some good drinks of water.

During the evening he didn't touch anymore hay or pellets so we syringe fed him some food and water.

This morning he hasn't eaten or poo'd :(

Please, please send all the vibes you can for Louie to get well, I can't deal with anymore of this. He is only 13 wks old :cry:

Last edited:
Poor Louie, I'm sending him all my spare vibes and keeping everything crossed for him. x

I just never learn, follow my heart not my head :(

After losing Sooty I wasn't going to get anymore rabbits, too hard emotionally.
But, I missed bunny snuggles so much that I bought Louie on impulse going against everything I believed in.

I should have known better and stuck with my original decision. I just fell in love with him and thought I could give him a good home. I should have known I would have failed him.

You have NOT failed him,so get that idea right out of your head.
Sending tons of vibes.
Big hugs to you.x

kate you have NOT failed him. you have given him the chance of the best and most loving home possible.

understandably tho you are feeling awful right now - i can only imagine:(

did the vet say what they thought was bothering louie as they gave pain killer and baytril? obvious question but did they check his teeth?

he's only young i know - what has he been eating lately?

this may sound really stupid too but i swear eric can tell if there is some upheaval in the house. he gets really quiet, eats less so poops less, and seems much less playful:?

xxx

It can be so hard when you lose animals, especially if the guilt pain from grief is still prevalent.

What is it that makes you think you failed him?

From where I am standing, you are giving him a loving home, you are doing all you can for him, you are aware and paying attention to what is going on for him, and you are doing the best you can for him. I can't see how that's a fail?

If someone else was describing the problems you are (which we have a lot on here, as you know), would you think they are failing their bun?

I truly hope he pulls through. Come on little bunny!

Wendy, yes checked teeth but they can't check the back ones properly can they?

She said she couldn't see anything obviously the matter and his stomach actually seemed normal :? She did spend a good 15 minutes checking him over but it wasn't easy as he is still very skittish at the moment and all this syringe feeding can't be helping with getting him used to being handled.

She said there was nothing obviously wrong with him but he is going back again today at 11.45am.

I've syringed him some more water and food. Just given him some water with some warm boiled water in and he's had a good drink of it.

I am to blame though, I shouldn't have bought him should have been patient and got rescues :(

Sky, I just should have realised, from losing the other rabbits, that what I do for them just isn't right/enough.

I bought him when I was still grieving for Tink and Sooty. It was the wrong decision.

How are you to blame for this? Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to how this is related to how you got him?

Sometimes its easier to blame ourselves than realise it would have happened anyway.

It sounds like you're doing a great job for him.

Is there any chance he is super sensitive and picking up on how low you're feeling?

Sky, I just should have realised, from losing the other rabbits, that what I do for them just isn't right/enough.

I bought him when I was still grieving for Tink and Sooty. It was the wrong decision.

Unfortunately as we all know, rabbits are vulnerable and fragile, and they do have shorter lives than us.

I don't know the circumstances under which they died, but you know what I do know? From this post alone I can tell what a great bunny mum you are, how much your buns and all your animals are deeply loved (and missed, when they go), and it sounds like you are still grieving very hard for them all.

Do you regret having him in your home? If not, then you did the right thing by buying him. You have a loving home to offer, and wherever he came from, he is super lucky to be in that home.

Far better he goes through this in a loving home than neglected somewhere. He's lucky, even if right now you can't see it.

Wendy, yes checked teeth but they can't check the back ones properly can they?

She said she couldn't see anything obviously the matter and his stomach actually seemed normal :? She did spend a good 15 minutes checking him over but it wasn't easy as he is still very skittish at the moment and all this syringe feeding can't be helping with getting him used to being handled.

She said there was nothing obviously wrong with him but he is going back again today at 11.45am.

I've syringed him some more water and food. Just given him some water with some warm boiled water in and he's had a good drink of it.

I am to blame though, I shouldn't have bought him should have been patient and got rescues :(

there is no blame kate. how many of us don't have trouble with our bunnies and their eating/pooping regardless of how we come to be with them?

so when are you last aware of him eating by himself? i know that eric didn't eat 'properly' for a while after being at the vets because they were syringe feeding him - not hungry i guess and he hates syringes:?

is he or has he been eating vegetables? maybe he's getting water that way? the good news is that his tum felt normal. is he running around much?

xxx

He ate some hay yesterday after the vets, so around 12.30 ish. He was running around yesterday evening but not at all today. He was having some herbs and leaves but he hasn't touched them since he stopped eating so not getting any liquid that way.

I syringed him 3 lots of water this morning and then he had the warm water out of the bowl, quite a bit of it. But food is a complete no no.

Are Blackberry leaves good for them in this situation or would it make him worse as he has never had them before?

I am certain its not your fault but I can fully empathise with how you feel as though it is. I am feeling just the same myself, like whatever I do is wrong/not good enough etc......etc......

I guess both me and thee may be feeling very :cry: at the moment and so we are finding it so hard not to go down the self blame route.

I really hope little Louie will perk up and start eating very soon.
Have you tried him with some Gripe Water ? I am giving John-Boy (who is very poorly with bloat :cry:) 2ml every couple of hours.

ETA Blackberry leaves would be fine :)

Thank you Jane.

I'm giving him Infacol. Would gripe water be better?

It does the same thing but lately I have found GW to be easier to administer and more palatable for the Buns. It seems to have a 'warming' effect on their tums too which I feel must be soothing in some way :?

Will get some Gripe Water too then.

Washed the leaves, Louie had a tiny nibble, that was it but has also had another good drink of water.

Water and hydration is far more important than food right now, so that's great news about the water :)

Sorry to intrude on your post but what is gripe water, my bun also is under the weather and might get some of this for him.

Back