• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another setback for Jess?

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
While cleaning out Jess's abscess tonight, I think I opened another pocket of pus. I have been wondering if there was another bit deeper in as it felt like there was a lump but I wasn't sure. I did wonder if it was just cellulitis, but it now appears it was pus. The vets are now thinking it is just pallitive care for her. I think she is sore, so will ask for some painkiller, but there isn't much left we can do.
She is eating OK, as long as the food is shredded finely or soaked or baby food and she is passing well, if a bit small. She is, however thin but quite active.
Is this a good thing, to have opened up the pocket or is it another setback for her which will cause more issues.

I think with most cases of dental abscesses they will return or spread at some point, however much effort you put into treating them :(

I agree with the vet that pallitive care is her best option but that still means she could have months ahead of her :)

Well, she is now adapting to being a house bun, its easier to keep things clean and fly free, but I also think she misses her friends, I'm just not sure she could stand up to the rough and tumble anymore.:(

While cleaning out Jess's abscess tonight, I think I opened another pocket of pus. I have been wondering if there was another bit deeper in as it felt like there was a lump but I wasn't sure. I did wonder if it was just cellulitis, but it now appears it was pus. The vets are now thinking it is just pallitive care for her. I think she is sore, so will ask for some painkiller, but there isn't much left we can do.
She is eating OK, as long as the food is shredded finely or soaked or baby food and she is passing well, if a bit small. She is, however thin but quite active.
Is this a good thing, to have opened up the pocket or is it another setback for her which will cause more issues.

I have no experiences of abcesses in rabbits but can not imagine it would ever be a bad thing to expose an abcess and allow it to drain or as is the case with rabbit pus, help it to drain. Sealing any infection in would never to me sound positive and would just allow the bacteria to proliferate further and obviously bone or further bone involvement. I'm sure opening it up will be helpful in the long run and hopefully will bring her some immediate relief from the pressure and infection also. Sending your bunny some get well vibes. :)

I have no experiences of abcesses in rabbits but can not imagine it would ever be a bad thing to expose an abcess and allow it to drain or as is the case with rabbit pus, help it to drain. Sealing any infection in would never to me sound positive and would just allow the bacteria to proliferate further and obviously bone or further bone involvement. I'm sure opening it up will be helpful in the long run and hopefully will bring her some immediate relief from the pressure and infection also. Sending your bunny some get well vibes. :)

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought, its just sad it doesn't seem to be clearing, but I know- in my heart- that is looking for a miracle.:(

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought, its just sad it doesn't seem to be clearing, but I know- in my heart- that is looking for a miracle.:(

We have our paws crossed here for a miracle for her. Rabbit abcesses sound really awful :( But i'm sure she's happy to be loved and kept comfortable and sometimes that is all that can be done sadly. :(

Lots of vibes!! :)

Last edited:
May I confirm what prettylupin & halfpenny have said. Pus is always best "drained" out to a surface, it retards the spread of the infection & relieves pain from pressure on internal structures considerably.

I'm so sorry to hear of this - we hope against hope for a miracle too.

Back