• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside Litter tray - help needed PLEASE

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
My bun has a playhouse that he sleeps in which is surrounded by a large aviary style run. In the playhouse is a standard cat sized litter tray but he tends to sleep in that - and poos in it. BUT he will only wee on the garden in a certain area, when I let him out for his free range time. If it is pelting down he stays in the run but won't go to the toilet. I've put a huge underbed storage crate in the run with some earth taken from where he goes to the toilet on the garden and some hay but I'm worried - how can I make him use it - he hasn't used that one at all in the 2 months it's been there. Smudge is 15 months old and neutered.

Last edited:
My bun has a playhouse that he sleeps in which is surrounded by a large aviary style run. In the playhouse is a standard cat sized litter tray but he tends to sleep in that - and poos in it. BUT he will only wee on the garden in a certain area, when I let him out for his free range time. If it is pelting down he stays in the run but won't go to the toilet. I've put a huge underbed storage crate in the run with some earth taken from where he goes to the toilet on the garden and some hay but I'm worried - how can I make him use it - he hasn't used that one at all in the 2 months it's been there. Smudge is 15 months old and neutered.

Buns tend to use a latrine where it 'feels' safe. This is why in the wild you will commonly see a huge communal latrine on top of a grassy mound or other vantage point. When on the loo you are pretty vulnerable as a prey species so safety is the priority, there's no getting away from that basic bunny instinct with some buns.
Our male bun will go wherever I put his tray in the run outside, but Poppy will only use a 'safe' corner....so I always put the tray in that one - the run is moveable around the lawn, but as long as we pick the corner with the best view of the garden - and house, she uses it happily. This also applies in the hutch - and after much trial and error - she spent years peeing on their bed at night (obviously a time not worth the risk to reach the latrine - even though it was just in the other corner of the hutch! :roll:) - we discovered eventually that positioning the tray next to the 'hole' to the steps and ladder of the mezzanine/and lower floor of the hutch, she would use it happily, night time peeing stopped immediately. For this reason we always put their tunnels and hidey boxes near the litter tray in the garden run so she can jump out of the tray and bolt into the tunnel if she feels threatened - just having the bolt holes near makes her feel more secure. Hopefully it will work for you too! :D

Back