• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poorly bunnies, what would be the next step?

**Ilovelops**

Alpha Buck
Snowy and Baby have both been on 2 weeks of baytril for snuffles (given orally).
The sneezing and snuffles seemed to start to settle down mildly middle of last week. However, today, both bunnies (after finishing their course of baytril on Saturday) appear to have returned to the same stage that there were before any treatment, ie sneezy and sounding snuffly.

When the vet last saw then (beginning of last week), he was pleased that the infection had not gone to their chest (their chests were clear).

What would be the next step? More baytril? Something more intensive?
I'm so worried listening to them both snorting as they're eating, sneezing. I honestly feel like I'm not helping them. I can't cope coz I don't know what to do for the best for them! :(

Baytril is not really strong enough.

They need a stronger anti-biotic. Ideally a culture and sensitivity test should have been done before they went on anti-biotics, but I'm not sure that's an option now.

Maybe Zithromax? Maybe an injectable penicillin?

I feel that you need referral to an expert rabbit vet to help here - "rabbit savvy".
A basic problem is not knowing which bacteria are causing the snuffles, so we do not know the best AB to use. It has to be the right AB. in the right dose & get to the right place which can be a problem with a lot of thick secretions, & swollen tissues.

Perhaps if you tell us where you are, other members will help you to get one.
Wiltshire & surrounding counties have "Great Western referrals in Swindon or Langford in Bristol.

baytril won't be strong enough.

my two have an uri, bisc had three months of treatment (penicillin injections) and it cleared up.

matt has been on meds 7 months. tried loads and 2 ops for tests. he is now on a nebuliser aswell. doing well now but still 2 months minimum to go.

it's a struggle but with a good rabbit vet you should be ok.

my rabbit vet said he does a minimum 3 months treatment for any uri, even the very early stages as it won't clear in anytime less than this. maybe for a while, but not properly. it's deep in the spores of the nose and hard to treat.

you will need c+s tests to see what kind of bacteria you are dealing with first etc etc.

read my threads about matt if you want any more info about what he has had etc. :)

also, forgot to say, the other vet i used to see only gave them baytril, and then the symptoms would go, and then come back again. and this kept happening until the infection just got stronger, and more stubborn. if this is the beginning of your buns getting it then get to a rabbit vet asap and get them to sort it with stronger antibiotics. matts infection is so stubborn now.

the rabbit vet i see treats for a minimum 3 months, but says it usually takes anywhere from 3 months to 12 months to completely clear the infection properly, from the spores in the nose etc.

good luck x

Baytril worked fine for my Joey, but it must be a good long course of at least 3-4 weeks.
I know that Baytril doesn't work for lots of buns though, so an alternative may be the answer.

There's no such thing as a 'stronger' antibiotic. If baytril helped whilst they were on it, it may just be that they weren't given a long enough course.

baytril helped my two whilst they were on it, but never completely cured it. then when i went to the rabbit vet, he said don't even bother with baytril, get straight in there with something 'stronger', could be he meant 'more effective' ? and get it sorted straight away. he said he never even uses baytril as it seems to not even help 1% of uri cases so start with something else instead of taking the chance with baytril. he said if a vet wants to try baytril though, then 6 weeks is the minimum he would try.

just what he told me. every case is different though. :)

I agree that "effective" is the better word to use.
The most effective Ab. depends on what bacteria are causing the prob. & we don't know that fact.
There are also matters like helping the bunnies to breath more comfortably, with meds to reduce swelling & long term scarring & /or thin the mucus in the nose & sinuses. These measures also help the Ab. to work better, & by reducing stress in the bunnies, help the bunnies' immune system to fight the infection better. All boils down to the clinical judgment of the vet.

As you so rightly say Biscandmatt1 - every case is different.
I could not agree more with "Get it sorted right away".
Personally I believe that that sometimes that means prolonged aggressive treatment.

barytril can work for some but there is a better one begins with p but cant for the life of me remeber what it is :? baytrill should always be given by injection too
i will warn yo this is a on going illness that has no cure and is very contageous so if you go see other peoples rabbits change of clothes and wash hands etc or you will be passing it on, thi illness has wiped out peoples rabbitrys in the matter of months it is a horried illness
it can be managed but sad to say it does kill eventually one way or anouther , keep them inside over winter and warm to avoid phumonia,
and keep them away from other rabbits
good luck

barytril can work for some but there is a better one begins with p but cant for the life of me remeber what it is :? baytrill should always be given by injection too i will warn yo this is a on going illness that has no cure and is very contageous so if you go see other peoples rabbits change of clothes and wash hands etc or you will be passing it on, thi illness has wiped out peoples rabbitrys in the matter of months it is a horried illness
it can be managed but sad to say it does kill eventually one way or anouther , keep them inside over winter and warm to avoid phumonia,
and keep them away from other rabbits
good luck

I think you're a little confused...baytril can be given orally or by injection. Most vets prefer to give it orally because it can cause baytril burn and sterile abscesses on the skin when injected. You are probably thinking of penicillin, which should always be given by injection under the skin, and never orally :)

I think you're a little confused...baytril can be given orally or by injection. Most vets prefer to give it orally because it can cause baytril burn and sterile abscesses on the skin when injected. You are probably thinking of penicillin, which should always be given by injection under the skin, and never orally :)
no i feel all medicine should be given by injection that way you know they have had it and had the full dose ;)

Some meds cant be given via injection.
I see no reason why oral administration would mean that an accurate dose is not given :?

Back