• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching a blood vessel while vaccinating?

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

I took my rabbits to have their myxi vaccinations this afternoon and after Inky had his injection, myself and the vet noticed he was bleeding from the site of it. There wasn't a huge amount of blood (although he managed to mear it everywhere so it looked like a massacre had taken place) and the vet stopped it pretty quickly.

She said that she must have caught a blood vessel under the skin. This has never happened before to either of the bunnies (and they have had loads of injections over the years). I just wondered if it was very common.

Thanks

FC x

Yes, a vet has done it before to my bridge bun Skip, but i'm not aware of what damage it can cause :?.
I am really paranoid about catching a blood vessel when I inject :oops:

Hiya me and my oh are having to give my bun gizmo baytril injections. When the vet showed us how to do it she did say that if we catch a blood vessel not to worry too much as their blood vessels are so tiny and that it doesnt happen very often as they are so small. Hope that helps :)

I had a vet do it to Poppet when we took them girls for their vhd :( there was blood, and I went 'ooh, is that mine' :roll:

Yes vet did it to Lolly when she had her myxi jab and i did it to Lionel last night when i gave him his depciling injection :oops: I have never done it before though and i have done 100's of injections

I'm relieved it has happened to other people.

Inky seems fine and it stopped bleeding quite quickly. I must have looked a right state when I went back to the waiting areas, I had blood all over my top:shock:!

Back