• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taming my french lop

Hi guys,

I've just adopted my 2nd french lop. She is 16 weeks now. The thing is she is very timid. Has anyone got any tips on how i can tame her up. I talk to her all the time and sit with her hutch door open she does sniff me but then runs away when I try to stroke her. She does let me stroke her a little when she's eating. I never had this prob with frankie because he was very tame when I got him. Thanks in advance:wave:

I think you should just give it a little time. If she's letting you stroke her when she's eating, that's good because I know some buns can be quite touchy about that.

Does she eat from your hand at all?

Just keep doing what you're doing and she'll come round :)

My Ella was abused horribly in her last home - she had little trust of humans when she first came here.
First i put a radio in the shed so she got used to the sound of human voices so she always had something to "listen to.
Like children I made sure I got down onto her level, and made sure my hands were visble so she knew I wouldnt hurt her, i let her come to me in her own time,letting her sniff,stroke and praised her verbally when ever she came over to fuss over me. (e.g ooooh you good girl arent you so brave!)
I gradually built this up to getting her to eat out my hand, so she assioated being stroked and touched with something nice like food
Its hard work but its so worth it. She now enjoys the odd fuss of kisses and strokes, will eat out my hand and wont cower, then attack if i walk past her!
My only advice is for people who are dealing with taming animals - to please perserve with it because the reward at the end is amazing!
Sometimes weve just got to accept that not all rabbits like constantly being picked up,cuddled,fussed and stroked and that they like there own personal space

Back