• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick Babies

buffytariq

Young Bun
I have 3 blue baby rabbits which i bred and they are not doing very well. There is one who is the smallest who is suffering from a very bloated belly and he is not eating anything. He goes onto grass all day with his sisters and then at night he gets readi grass and then dry food. He has not touched any of this so i put a second bowl in just to make sure that the others aren't shoving him away. Do rabbits get a type of worm? Is there anything i can do? Please help i don't want to lose these girls

I gave you the link of a site previously that might be useful to you. (which I've just seen you have).

Does mum go on the grass too? How old are they? I too think they need a vet super ASAP, like tonight, because that bun sounds like its not going to last mich longer.

Last edited:
Were they used to the grass before they were weaned? If not, that's probably your problem.

Whatever the problem though, they really do need a vet asap.

I agree with sky-o. In september time, the grass gets another boost (like that in spring time) meaning the grass contains more sugar than normal. Also, at 10 weeks old, i would not recommend that they spend all day on the grass. Would be better if they have just half an hour to begin with and then slowly build that up day by day (increasing 15 mins every 2-3 days).

Think a visit to the vet may be a good idea, esp if they're not eating.

Separated the 2 from the really healthy one. Was able to get some anti biotics for them so fingers crossed for them.

Back