• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits sleeping on their backs...

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
i thought this only happened when no one was around- but earl is doing it all the time its funny.

Last night my family came over an we were all watching xfactor and laughing at all the no-hopers. There were 7 of us and a baby in the room with Earl- and the tv wasnt on very quiet- and early just flopped onto his back and lay there sleeping amongst the chaos.

Today I walked in the living room and he was doing it again as usual- before he used to jump up and look scared but now he just stays there whilst we walk around him. If I cough or something he will lift his head and see what is going on but then flop down immediately.

How funny he is like a cat stretching out.

Does anyone else do this?

photosforprinting254.jpg

aw, what a lovely pic. :love: my two both sleep like this, matt more than bisc though! sometimes an intentional cough i have to do to make sure they are alive! :oops:

aw, what a lovely pic. :love: my two both sleep like this, matt more than bisc though! sometimes an intentional cough i have to do to make sure they are alive! :oops:

I sometimes do an intentional 'Bang on the window' when they're asleep in their hutches, just to check ;) :lol:

Abbey does it to! Once I really thought she was dead because she wasn't responding to 'dinner time' calls. I had to poke her with a stick to wake her up :lol: poor little thing!

I had to poke her with a stick to wake her up :lol: poor little thing!

Poke her with a stick :lol:
What's wrong with gently nudging her?
*Has mental image of a rabbit being poked with a giant pointy stick* :shock:

:lol:

I love catching the rabbits sleeping. I wasn't so keen though when Smokey fell asleep with her legs in the air, I though she was dead until a coughed and she opened her eyes.

my daughter who rehomed her bunny desmond due to housing issues ...he slept actually right on his back with all four legs in the air.....so cute.
The bunny we took on for the last few months of his little life casper..he would sleep soundly on his back....bless

my cousin back in 1980 had a house bunny called snoopy whod sleep on her back sunbathing in the garden with cousin.:love:

Maisy does this too, is frightening when you see it at first. She also has rolled 360 degrees on her side too, is this normal and anyone else do that?!

What a lovely photo of Earl!
Yes, Thumper sleeps like that too - apparently they do it when they feel very safe & secure.
Thumper has done a complete rolly poly a couple of times & frightened himself :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Yep Poppy does this every day at sleepy times....she certainly does 'not' wake up even if you give her a nudge! :lol: She's dead to the world, eyes screwed shut, REM sleep and very often starts dreaming and twitching away....no doubt dreaming of doing something naughty! :lol: When she wakes up she looks all bleary eyed and reminds me of me first thing in the morning, we call her either Poppy Slug or Poppy Owl depending on which stage of sleepiness she is in! :lol:

Nino sleeps on his side sometimes, but not for quite so long, and never shuts his eyes fully, but he does regularly do this on the low shelf under the TV where they have their blanket and has rolled over in his sleep/stretch and rolled right off the shelf - often remaining with body half on and body half off for quite some time, or if a full 360 degree roll on his back with his legs in the air like an upside down woodlouse! :lol: It never fails to make me burst out laughing :D:lol:

Maisy does this too, is frightening when you see it at first. She also has rolled 360 degrees on her side too, is this normal and anyone else do that?!

matt does this every so often, then flips back up and looks really shocked! :shock::lol:

my daughter who rehomed her bunny desmond due to housing issues ...he slept actually right on his back with all four legs in the air.....so cute.
The bunny we took on for the last few months of his little life casper..he would sleep soundly on his back....bless

my cousin back in 1980 had a house bunny called snoopy whod sleep on her back sunbathing in the garden with cousin.:love:

And Desmond still does do this! Lola is not too impressedd though so he tends to get woken up!

Poke her with a stick :lol:
What's wrong with gently nudging her?
*Has mental image of a rabbit being poked with a giant pointy stick* :shock:

:lol:

Shes grumpy bunny when she wakes up and lunges a bit, I like to think shes dreaming of food and thinks shes being woken up by food, rather than she just wants to attack me :lol:

Yes, is a great pic! That's good, glad to know Maisy is feeling safe but definitely freaked me out first time, especially when she was lying on a platform with her head dangling off the side! I do love the roly polys! :love:

Back