• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENTposs myxi or nodular UD page 2 def myxi of some kind

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I thought I noticed Viola Rose's nose seemed a little bigger than normal - but convinced myself I was imagining things.

But this afternoon her eye is weeping and the nose much bigger.

Just checked her myxi certs and could kick myself - I adopted her in mid Feb and now see her last myxi jab was 30th Jan 09 - so I should have re-vaccinated end July/beginning Aug

All my buns get done together in March and Set and I guess in March she was too soon - and they are all booked in for Sept 15.

I feel dreadful - she should have gone a month ago.

I have nursed one through myxi in the past so am really hoping I can nurse her too - I feel so bad.

Anyone got any experience of a myxi case 7 months after a jab????

Am taking her to vet in 45 mins.

I guess its metacam, baytril, . . eye ointment . . . anything else??

Shall I bring her indoors? - I did with the other case I had (several years ago) but then it was cooler - its really hot here today.

She is eating like mad - but I know that with myxi they always do.

Any ideas/hints/help - I feel so bad

Last edited:
hopefully she will still have some immunity but only your vet will be able to confirm if you are looking at nodular or full blown mixi or something else completely & they will be able to advise best treatment. I would probably bring indoors as the nights are quite cold & she will need lots of TLC. Obciously you will then possibly have to keep her indoors over winter or release very gradually back.

Wishing you best of luck.

try not to feel too bad. people make mistakes and as soon as you have realised you are getting it sorted so doing all you can.

good luck at the vets, i hope it goes well. x

Has she previously had courses of Baytril for other infections ?

If so I personally think she'd be better on an injectable tetracycline (Engemycin LA) or maybe Ceporex or Depocillin

I wonder if it'd be a good idea to get all your others vaccinated early :? Not sure on that one.

I really hope she can get through this.

why injectible if she has had courses before - is it in case she has resistance??

Unfortunately I do not know her history (she was RSPCA and only came to me in Feb).

I am crying

her eye is weeping so I guess its not modular but full blown - I feel dreadful.

not true weepy eye is also a sign of nodular. it is very very unlikely to be full blown if bun has been vaccinated within a year as they have some resistance to it and so should only be nodular form . chelsea had weepy eye and still does due to scar tissue in her tear duct from nodules inside her eye when she had nodular myxi she made a full if slow recovery with good care. her eye these days is bathed daily but she no longer has myxi. x

why injectible if she has had courses before - is it in case she has resistance??

Unfortunately I do not know her history (she was RSPCA and only came to me in Feb).

I am crying

Yes, I am thinking abx resistance and IMO (unqualified) she needs aggressive abx treatment from the outset.

Gunky eyes do occur with Nodular Myxo too some *hopefully* it may be that.

Hoping all goes well at the vets, i'm so sorry about your bun :(, these things happen. Hopefully she will have some residual immunity from her vaccine in January. You're only a few weeks late so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. You must be terribly worried I can understand that. Hoping it's not as bad as expected. (My bun survived full blown Myxi with no vaccine and no antibiotic treatment when I was a girl - I'm not suggesting for a second this was a good thing....but just to reassure you that buns are tough little cookies :))

I wouldn't automatically assume myxi. An abscess or sting on the nose could cause swelling and the distortion from the swelling could cause weeping.

The vet will be able to diagnose better.

I too was going to say don't fear the worst.

This could be other things. Try not to panic.

But yes, in answer to your first question, bringing the bun inside is probablt the best thing to do (along with bondfriend if she has one).

back from vet -

it is myxi - although which sort unknown as yet.

She has swollen genitals as well - must have just come up as did look when thought her nose a bit 'odd' on Saturday - and the other eye sore too.

We have gone for Baytril as vet worried about injectibles despite the fact she is eating well at present (my very rabbit savvy vet is on holiday this week - bad timing!!!!) also the eye ointment and metacam/meloxivet.

Considering her eyes and nose etc she really is very cheerful at present.

I am so worried. vet is coming to do all 15 others later - even though that will be two weeks earlier than needs be on 6 monthly rota.

Have put her in bedroom with boyfriend - who shows no signs.

decided I will keep a blog - we found it helped us last time.

back from vet -

She has swollen genitals as well - must have just come up as did look when thought her nose a bit 'odd' on Saturday - and the other eye sore too.

We have gone for Baytril as vet worried about injectibles despite the fact she is eating well at present (my very rabbit savvy vet is on holiday this week - bad timing!!!!) also the eye ointment and metacam/meloxivet.

I am so worried. vet is coming to do all 15 others later - even though that will be two weeks earlier than needs be on 6 monthly rota.

:( I'm so sorry, not a happy diagnosis for anyone, especially with so many other buns in your home, am sure you must very be worried :(. Hopefully sufficient pain relief and antibiotics will enable her to keep going as relatively normal as possible. I really do recommend dandelions - vit C is a good boost to the immune system, and frankly when my bun survived Mxyi this was all 'in those days' we could get her to eat by hand - have always wondered if huge doses of Vit C is what got her through.

Can I also advise you to be extra careful with hygiene - i'm certain you know this already, but as children and unaware we spread Myxi across our buns by not washing hands and changing clothes properly until we realised, by which time it was too late. Although not common, the virus can be spread by mucuous mebrane discharge fluids so I would strongly advise scrupulous 'cleaning' down of yourself and changing clothes in between dealing with your Mxyi bun and your other bunnies. Fingers and toes crossed (as Thumps likes to say) that your other buns will be fine and you have caught this early. If Mozzi's involved can really recommend blue light fly lanterns if you have power access (low voltage but very effective).

Sending your little girl lots of get well wishes and hoping she pulls through this. :)

Captain Carrot's eyes were extremely weepy with nodular myxi, so were Scamper's. Both made a full recovery - hang on in there!

back from vet -

I am sending millions of vibes for her. Hopefully she will have retained some immunity and she will be able to recover

xx

Back